New Notebook came with Win10 :(

rezerekted

2[H]4U
And not the most recent build either. Had to do numerous updates that wasted hours of my time. Don't like the OS much either so considering putting Elementary OS on it. This notebook comes with no HDD and just a 32GB SSD. Has MicroSD slot though.

Was able to just upgrade to the latest build of Win10 with 2GB of free space left. Now that I deled Windiws old and gutted the HP crap I have 10.9GB free. Not much but out in an old 8GB microsd card. Should probably buy a 64GB card.

Really should install ElementaryOS and flip Microsoft the bird but I don't know how to get access to the boot menu on an HP bios.

Yeah, and? You didn't put a </rant> to finish off your post. :)

(and yes I realize you may have me on ignore or something, no matter, the relevance of that equals the relevance of the content of your post I suppose)

I don't have you on ignore.

IMO, Win10 is a clusterfuck and not only do I not like it very much, I actually hate it.

/rant :)

Sounds like you bought a shit book and complained when they gave you a free copy of a 200 dollar shitty os... Congratulations you dont like windows nobody does but if you want to really use a computer you either have to mess with things like wine or shut up and deal with it...

and flip Microsoft the bird but I don't know how to get access to the boot menu on an HP bios.
If you are looking for people to assist perhaps dump in the brand/model number. If you are just grousing about windows10 then, well, carry on. ;)

This Notebook only cost me $270 CAD. The price of a Tablet. I bought it because my borescope would not work on my Asus tablet so needed something small and light, which it is. It is like a Surface Pro but without touchscreen and a keyboard included and it cost a lot less. It's purple too. :)

I posted to dis Win10 and not for you to dis my notebook.

How do I get the boot menu on HP bios? I need to boot to a usb thumb drive to install Linux.

It's this one but mine is purple.

https://www.londondrugs.com/hp-stre....html?cgid=comp-laptopsandnotebooks-pclaptops

I found out from HP website that it is F10 to get into the bios. Will run Win10 for a bit longer before installing Linux though. It is starting to grow on me. Might make a good music transport so will test it for that because the Cambridge Audio amp I have on order has a USB port for that purpose.

Last edited:
Good to see you're willing to give Win10 a try.

I got my daughter one of those HP Stream netbook things (2GB Celeron) and it runs Win10.. ok. For her it's just an $80USD device to learn typing.

Mines a 4GB dual core Celeron. It's ok, can play chess on it or browse the inet while having coffee. I really bought it to use a borescope on so I could look in my ceiling. Job done but I am pissed that my Asus tablet had issues with the boresight cam.

Yeah, and? You didn't put a </rant> to finish off your post. :)

(and yes I realize you may have me on ignore or something, no matter, the relevance of that equals the relevance of the content of your post I suppose)

He isn't obliged to like Windows 10 Tiberian, and just like yourself his entitled to an opinion on it, positive or not.

He's a big boy or maybe a big girl as I have no idea, he/she doesn't need anybody defending him/her either. ;)

He's a big boy or maybe a big girl as I have no idea, he/she doesn't need anybody defending him/her either. ;)

Great, not another one of you hate filled binary gender conformists. Don't you realize there are 4,287 genders now? :shame:

Tiberian, I'm curious. You told me once before you run a laptop, a fairly ageing one and you're older than most here? Retired? Although I do admit, it's not just the older generation lucky enough to retire. Am I right?

I'm not really sure how to respond to you/your/he/she/it/they/them/etc but I assure you/your/he/she/it/they/them/etc the assumption you/your/he/she/it/they/them/etc just made is entirely without merit. :D

If you can't see the sarcasm at work here, well, that's your problem. (see, that that there, I'll bet you missed it... there it is again)

Tiberian, I'm curious. You told me once before you run a laptop, a fairly ageing one and you're older than most here? Retired? Although I do admit, it's not just the older generation lucky enough to retire. Am I right?

Relevance? Going personal can be problematic, just for your information.

Somehow I just knew it would turn out to be an HP Stream laptop, I have a Stream 11 sitting here beside me (no power supply presently) and I fixed one a few months ago, dreadful machines overall and not worth half the retail price considering. It will run Linux but you'll have issues with the shitty Wi-Fi card on it (1x1, terrible signal quality even if you're just feet from an access point), the storage is pretty slow and just chips on the motherboard (so not a physical "SSD" in mini-PCI format, there's only one such slot and that's the shitty Wi-Fi card), the processor isn't anything to write home about and the video acceleration under Linux is barely passable.

But you'll figure it out soon enough.

I'm not really sure how to respond to you/your/he/she/it/they/them/etc but I assure you/your/he/she/it/they/them/etc the assumption you/your/he/she/it/they/them/etc just made is entirely without merit. :D

If you can't see the sarcasm at work here, well, that's your problem. (see, that that there, I'll bet you missed it... there it is again)

Relevance? Going personal can be problematic, just for your information.

My point is nothing personal that you haven't posted on the forums before, I simply pay attention. Basically I'm just wondering why you run Windows 10 on an ageing laptop when there's a possibility you don't even need it?

And not the most recent build either. Had to do numerous updates that wasted hours of my time. Don't like the OS much either so considering putting Elementary OS on it. This notebook comes with no HDD and just a 32GB SSD. Has MicroSD slot though.

Was able to just upgrade to the latest build of Win10 with 2GB of free space left. Now that I deled Windiws old and gutted the HP crap I have 10.9GB free. Not much but out in an old 8GB microsd card. Should probably buy a 64GB card.

Really should install ElementaryOS and flip Microsoft the bird but I don't know how to get access to the boot menu on an HP bios.
Did you run Disk Cleanup and select "Clean up system files" and check every box? Did you manually change the page file to a smaller size (say 800MB initial and 2,000MB maximum"?

You may also want to consider compacting your OS to save space. Open and elevated cmd prompt (run as admin) and type in compact /compactos:query Does it say the OS is compacted? If it says it is not compacted, run the command compact /compactos:always

Take the off topic conversation to PM if you want to continue it.

Somehow I just knew it would turn out to be an HP Stream laptop, I have a Stream 11 sitting here beside me (no power supply presently) and I fixed one a few months ago, dreadful machines overall and not worth half the retail price considering. It will run Linux but you'll have issues with the shitty Wi-Fi card on it (1x1, terrible signal quality even if you're just feet from an access point), the storage is pretty slow and just chips on the motherboard (so not a physical "SSD" in mini-PCI format, there's only one such slot and that's the shitty Wi-Fi card), the processor isn't anything to write home about and the video acceleration under Linux is barely passable.

But you'll figure it out soon enough.

I'm going to leave Win10 on it because of what you said about wifi and a few other proprietary drivers, like synapse...and it serves me a purpose and was not expecting fast.

See, this is why I don't like Win10. I can't even find the fucking setting to change pagefile!!! Typed in pagefile in search and no results. Change just for the sake of change is just stupid Microsoft and does no one any good. But if they didn't make all these stupid changes they couldn't call it a new OS.

Last edited:
Okay.. so knowing it is an HP Stream model 11-y013ca N3060 you can use that for searching up on how to shoe-horn linux on that device.

Example:
http://thepurdman.com/install-galliumos-linux-on-hp-stream-11/#howto
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2297546

Thanks, and this proves Tiberian is blowing smoke up my ass because the second url proves this device has no issues with Linux and even the wireless works fine.

Wonderful, I changed the pagefile as recommended and now Microsoft pops up a message saying "Getting Windows Ready Don't Turn Off the Computer". I can't even get into the bios now, Microsoft has taken over the PC. It seems it is bricked.

OK, got it sorted. Seriously considering Linux now.

Last edited:
Well, it's done. Win10 is gone and replaced by ElementaryOS. Let that be a lesson to you Microsoft. I would do the same to a google OS so don't take it personal.

I have double the amount of free space after installing ElementaryOS too.

You can totes deposit $75 into my paypal account for your invoice. ;)

... or just tree-fiddy.

Thanks but all is not perfect, Elementary OS doesn't see my boresight cam and Win10 did. Just knew something would go wrong.

Fee still stands. :D

Perhaps go the opposite direction - what is your boresight cam's make and model number? See what works best for it and get that OS.

Gah, those laptops are terrible... You would be better served with a Chromebook, in most cases, as the patches/updates to Windows 10 will quickly eat your 32gb (really 28gb) of hard drive space, making the thing practically unusable. Spending a mere $80 more would have gotten you a 15.6 usable PC. ($200+/- for this piece of garbage - $280 for an HP 15.6 cd/dvd 4gb ram, A-9, and 1tb hard drive...)

Yeah it would have 10 on it, too. So go online and buy a refurb for $200- 250 and it would have 7 on it. And be a better computer.

I bought it because it is small and light. I can use it when I go for breakfast and use it to play chess on. Already installed a chess game too.

If you read back I bought it to use a boresight cam on because it won't work on my Asus Zenpad. Already used it for that to look in the ceiling so now it is my Linux chess computer. I don't need anything better. I had a better laptop and put in a 500GB HDD but I gave it to my niece because she needed it more than me.

Chromebook is google and that is just, well, evil.

I'm going to leave Win10 on it because of what you said about wifi and a few other proprietary drivers, like synapse...and it serves me a purpose and was not expecting fast.

See, this is why I don't like Win10. I can't even find the fucking setting to change pagefile!!! Typed in pagefile in search and no results. Change just for the sake of change is just stupid Microsoft and does no one any good. But if they didn't make all these stupid changes they couldn't call it a new OS.

The place to change the pagefile is in exactly the same place it has been since Windows 2000, that has not changed.

You bought a laptop with no hard drive space. 32gb is even small for an SD card these days. You gimped yourself, Microsoft did nothing.

That's something that holds back Linux on the desktop - support for those prebuild PC's, laptops, etc.. Most have Microsoft drivers. Linux is secondary. Remember the old "Win Modem" days? Things were done in software. It sucks, but that's something to account for.

I'd put Windows 10 back on it, and just use it for basic things. That's all it's good for with 32GB. However, you do also have OneDrive (or other storage if using a home server and storage there, which makes a huge difference!).

Linux is great, but a lot of these machines are build with Windows in mind.

Webcams are odd, as some other hardware has certain chipsets. You can use a "generic" chipset driver to run your brand name device. Webcams are a bit more specific, though.

Good luck. Windows 10 has a lot of hate with it. It's not that bad. But, if you don't like it, you don't like it. My opinion of it doesn't mean shit if you don't like it. Use what works, though. If you NEED the webcam, you may have to use Windows 10. If you can live without, use Linux. That's what it's going to come down to - what works, what do you need?

The place to change the pagefile is in exactly the same place it has been since Windows 2000, that has not changed.

Getting to it has. Yea, underneath it all Window is the same but the coating of paint tries to hide it. I did find it but it is not as simple as it used to be. How is it progress if it is harder to use?

You bought a laptop with no hard drive space. 32gb is even small for an SD card these days. You gimped yourself, Microsoft did nothing.

I dumped Win10 because I don't like it. I didn't gimp myself and knew what I was buying. Was just stating that a benefit of dumping Win10 was more HDD space. This laptop has a memory card slot and can add another 64GB if I want. Then there is USB where I can run portable apps from if needed, I don't foresee a need though.

That's something that holds back Linux on the desktop - support for those prebuild PC's, laptops, etc.. Most have Microsoft drivers. Linux is secondary. Remember the old "Win Modem" days? Things were done in software. It sucks, but that's something to account for.

I'd put Windows 10 back on it, and just use it for basic things. That's all it's good for with 32GB. However, you do also have OneDrive (or other storage if using a home server and storage there, which makes a huge difference!).

Linux is great, but a lot of these machines are build with Windows in mind.

Webcams are odd, as some other hardware has certain chipsets. You can use a "generic" chipset driver to run your brand name device. Webcams are a bit more specific, though.

Good luck. Windows 10 has a lot of hate with it. It's not that bad. But, if you don't like it, you don't like it. My opinion of it doesn't mean shit if you don't like it. Use what works, though. If you NEED the webcam, you may have to use Windows 10. If you can live without, use Linux. That's what it's going to come down to - what works, what do you need?

The webcam works fine in Linux, I was talking about a boresight cam I have that doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.com/niceEshop-Wa...qid=1487997571&sr=8-2&keywords=bore+sight+cam

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
p.s. There is another major update coming out for Win10 soon. I am not having my time wasted by Microsoft like happened when I first got the laptop. Buy laptoop, fire it up, find out it is not the latest build, spend next day in frustration updating the damn thing. Yea, that really pissed me off and don't want it to happen again anytime soon. Seriously, Microsoft has dun goofed, IMO.

Why even bundle Windows with these cheap devices? It adds no value, users hate 10, and most people would have a better experience with a decent sized SSD and Linux Mint.

Back