New Mobo

zetachi

Gawd
Been having some issues with my MOBO (MSI K8N Neo4 nForce4 Ultra) random re-boots, system freezes etc. Probably due to OC but its not a big one. 9x 260 or so. But I need to use Clockgen with automatic speeds on on boot because the Mobo Bios wont take and hold anything above about 240.

So I'm looking for a used MOBO @ 100 or so. Here are some of the ones I've been looking at. let me know what you think.

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
DFI NF4 SLI-DR Expert Motherboard, needs new chipset fan. - $85
ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE MOTHERBOARD -- $130 SHIPPED
DFI Sli-DR Expert Socket 939 Board $90

Thanks

Z

I loathed my Neo4 Plat SLI board :(.

I'd get the Asus A8N32-SLI. Probably in the top 5 boards available for s939. The DFI is nice also depending on how much tweaking you like to do, although the DFI's seem to be more hit or miss. Could get a good one or a bad one. I had the Ultra-D and it was a fantasic board. I think you could get a better deal on the A8N32 if you look around. Should be easy to find one for right around $100.

the regular A8N's had some issues with booting and experiencing BSOD's periodically-- from what I can recall.....

I recently had to scrap my a8n32-sli deluxe for the Dfi nf4 Ultra-D. the Asus came out of the box with pci-e slot #1 dead. I was able to use slot #2 for a while because they are both 16x, but that one burned out as well after only 3 1/2 months. I'm not bashing the Asus by any means though. I was able to squeeze another 60Mhz out of my 4200+ with the Asus, and by all that I've read on the board, they are extremely stable and good overclockers. I just had a very bad experience with one.
Of course with the Dfi I do believe I will be able to get my clock speeds much higher when I get some new ram, because the Dfi has almost limitless tweaks you can do to it.
If you are going to oc the thing and let it be, go for the Asus, if you're one of those people like me that's never happy with your speed, go with the Dfi.

I recently had to scrap my a8n32-sli deluxe for the Dfi nf4 Ultra-D. the Asus came out of the box with pci-e slot #1 dead. I was able to use slot #2 for a while because they are both 16x, but that one burned out as well after only 3 1/2 months. I'm not bashing the Asus by any means though. I was able to squeeze another 60Mhz out of my 4200+ with the Asus, and by all that I've read on the board, they are extremely stable and good overclockers. I just had a very bad experience with one.
Of course with the Dfi I do believe I will be able to get my clock speeds much higher when I get some new ram, because the Dfi has almost limitless tweaks you can do to it.
If you are going to oc the thing and let it be, go for the Asus, if you're one of those people like me that's never happy with your speed, go with the Dfi.

That's a pretty fair assessment. I've had pretty good luck with Asus boards and they definitely are a set it and forget it type of board. I had an Ultra-D also and that was great too.

Back