new miner needs some help

CTViking

n00b
Hi everyone,

I am new to mining and new to this board so I apologize if this question has been asked already. I did try to search.

I have a 4 or 5 year old gaming laptop with an NVIDIA 1070 so two weeks ago I started mining and it has been working. I am getting a current hashrate around 24.5 and mining maybe .001 ETH per day (a little less). Simple math is .001 with $3,000 ETH (It's a little below that right now) is $3 per day.

Since it was time to upgrade my computer anyway I ordered a new one with an NVIDIA 3080. It arrived yesterday. I had read that I should expect a hashrate around 80. When it started mining, the hashrate I was showing was around 39. I read an article a few days ago that NVIDIA is halving the hashrates of their 3080s but mine was assembled before that and from what I read those won't be arriving until June. Additionally, despite what would seem like a 50+% higher hashrate is not mining nearly as much ETH as my older computer.

I let it run overnight and when I looked this morning the hashrate was at 51. Not 80 but improved.

Is something that will improve over time?
Do I need to adjust any settings? I did not make any adjustments to the old 1070/
Why would a higher hashrate generate less ETH?

Any advice would be appreciated.

The actual amount of ETH mined will vary daily even if your hash rate is constant. Take a 7 day average. A couple days ago ETH mining payouts were unusually high. Your hash rate wont improve over time but your payout probably will if the pool you are using uses PPLNS.
Most miners reduce the power limit but increase the core clock and memory clock. Memory is the most important. Make sure your laptop has adequate cooling.

The actual amount of ETH mined will vary daily even if your hash rate is constant. Take a 7 day average. A couple days ago ETH mining payouts were unusually high. Your hash rate wont improve over time but your payout probably will if the pool you are using uses PPLNS.
Most miners reduce the power limit but increase the core clock and memory clock. Memory is the most important. Make sure your laptop has adequate cooling.
Why would laptop 1 with a 24.5 hashrate mine more ETH than laptop 2 with a 39 hashrate when they are in the same pool?

My advice is not to mine on a laptop, they are not made for that sort of abuse

Why would laptop 1 with a 24.5 hashrate mine more ETH than laptop 2 with a 39 hashrate when they are in the same pool?
If they were mining at the same time on the same pool, the laptop with the higher hash rate would receive a higher amount.
If laptop 1 mined during the 19th it would have received more than double the normal payout. If laptop 2 mined on the 20th it would have received the normal payout. This scenario is uncommon but would result in laptop 1 earning more.

The hashrate numbers that you see out there are going to be for desktop GPUs. Laptop GPUs are performance nerfed to meet the power envelope requirements of the particular build to the extent that there's at least 8 laptop 3080 sku's out there that will vary wildly in performance. Off the bat, I see the memory speed for the laptop GPUs is 14GHz vs 19GHz for the FE cards - so off the bat, if your memory speed is 25% slower, then your hash rate expectations drop to 60 mhash off the bat from 80 (ninja edit - memory bus is also lower, so that's more of a discount on hashrate). Then you look to see that there's fewer cuda cores, power limitations, etc, which will probably knock it on down to the 39 that you're seeing.

Last edited:
The mobile 3000 series is nowhere close to their desktop counterparts. Based on what I'm seeing, mid-50s MH/s is about the best you're going to get out of a mobile 3080.

In general laptop is tuned for power efficiency and generate less heat as others have mentioned. Though the hashrate is lower, the hashrate per watt should be better than desktop gpu setup. If you live in an area with high electricity cost, perhaps this could be a small bonus but you will earn less ;) There are folks snapping up laptops just to do mining, whether they are crazy or not, it is very situational.

In general laptop is tuned for power efficiency and generate less heat as others have mentioned. Though the hashrate is lower, the hashrate per watt should be better than desktop gpu setup. If you live in an area with high electricity cost, perhaps this could be a small bonus but you will earn less ;) There are folks snapping up laptops just to do mining, whether they are crazy or not, it is very situational.
But it's also not the same hardware. A mobile 3080 is much closer to a desktop 3070 than a desktop 3080. It's borderline criminal that they use the same model number for vastly inferior hardware.

Thank you everyone for your help so far. One last thing that I'm still confused about. Please look at the pics below. I snapped these pics this morning at the same time. Both computers have been mining continuously. Computer 1 pretty consistently has a hashrate around 24.5. You can see in the previous 24 hours it mined. .00067111 ETH. Computer 2 consistently has a hashrate around 51. Yet in the same previous 24 hours it only mined .00049750. Why would the higher hashrate mine less. Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't I expect computer 2 to be mining at least double computer 1, not less?

comp1.jpg
Inkedcomp2_LI.jpg

Back