• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

new media server pc

mets

n00b
Joined
May 12, 2009
Messages
7
Hi All,

I'm trying to convert a slightly older desktop into a media center pc, and I need
some help with data storage. The box has an AMD Athlon 64 2Ghz CPU, 2 gigs of ram,
an Asus EN7900GT graphics card (GeForce 7900 GT 256MB)with DVI output, and the
motherboard is a DFI nForce 4 Ultra. The desktop will be running the latest Ubuntu
release. I currently have one PCIE slot free and one PCI slot that can become free.
I have about $500 to spend. The primary purpose will be playing HD movies, either
through the PC (maybe XBMC) or through my Xbox 360.

My main goal is getting storage setup, as I think my specs will work fine. I'm
looking to add about 4-5TB of storage capability. I know I definitely want to use RAID, but I've never used RAID before, nor have I built a media center
PC, so I need some help with parts. Here's what I have so far:

RAID Controller ($60, must support Linux, must support 4x internal)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816104007
-note, never used RAID before, so very unsure here

HDD
2 1.5 TB drives ($130), http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148337
1 1TB drive, any from newegg ($80)
1 500GB generic, already installed

I also thought about adding hot swap bays if I have money left over. Unfortunately
there is a random divider in the case (Antec) that prevents a 4-bay unit, so I'll
need 4 1-bay units (or 2 2-bay units)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998031
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990001

Any thoughts? Anything I'm forgetting? Any tips? All would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Mets
 
Last edited:
None of your links work.
Oups tagged it wrong, thanks, fixed :)

I guess the biggest thing right now that I just realized is that I'm trying to raid different sized drives, and this could be challenging...
 
I guess the biggest thing right now that I just realized is that I'm trying to raid different sized drives, and this could be challenging...
For RAID 1, you can use the two 1.5TB drives. For RAID5, you will lose roughly 1TB of storage in addition to the 1TB used for parity storage if you use the 1TB and 1.5TB drives.

You will need to get similar sized drives (either three 1.5TB or three 1TB drives) for RAID5. In addition, do note that software RAID or hardware assisted software RAID (like the card you chose) will use your CPU to do all of the parity calculations. Which means that you'll see anywhere from a 10% to 60% CPU usage at all times depending on the CPU and array size. So yes you will see a major performance hit while getting really low write speeds on the RAID array with a software RAID, hardware assisted software RAID or fake-RAID setup.

Now, is that free PCI-E slot x16, x4, 8, or x1?
 
In addition, do note that software RAID or hardware assisted software RAID (like the card you chose) will use your CPU to do all of the parity calculations. Which means that you'll see anywhere from a 10% to 60% CPU usage at all times depending on the CPU and array size.
I didn't realize it was software assisted. Do you know any reasonably priced dedicated hardware setups that would work?

Now, is that free PCI-E slot x16, x4, 8, or x1?
There's a free x16 and I believe a free x1, and I'm honestly not sure what the other one is

My current board (red is in use, green is the PCI that I could remove if needed)
http://i40.tinypic.com/11l3hx3.jpg

My board specs:
http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20041015990644.html
It says it has onboard raid 0,1,0+1 but I guess we want to avoid that from your comment above, as it's probably assisted in some way

Thanks for the help, as you can see I'm new to this :)
 
I didn't realize it was software assisted. Do you know any reasonably priced dedicated hardware setups that would work?
If you don't mind buying used hardware with little or no warranty, you could buy a Dell Perc 5/i card off eBay for ~$125 or so plus two of these SFF-8484 to 4 x SATA Cables for ~$25. Thus, you get 8 ports and a true hardware RAID controller for around ~$150 or so. Add a battery backup unit for ~$50 and you're set in case of power outages. Not a bad deal considering that a new true PCI-E hardware RAID controller is around $300 (Areca ARC-1210) for 4 ports. But those Dell Perc 5/i cards are finicky about motherboards. It will take up PCI-E x16 slot if you don't have a PCI-E x8 slot.

Read these threads for more info:
Dell Perc 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks
Finally went to a Hardware Raid5 controller...
Dell Perc 5/i - Mainboard Compatibility List
Solution for Dell Perc 5/i for Intel Chipsets
Add 8 device SAS/SATA 256MB BBU Enterprise class RAID card to your rig for about $100 w/ PERC 5i (LSI 8480E OEMed to Dell)

I also recommend checking out Windows Home Server and see if that's an option for you. Here's an FAQ:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1390750
 
If you don't mind buying used hardware with little or no warranty, you could buy a Dell Perc 5/i card off eBay for ~$125 or so
Just saw this for $108 with 512Mb ram
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Perc-5i-SA...ryZ56091QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
According to this it should be compatible with the nForce4 boards.
I also recommend checking out Windows Home Server and see if that's an option for you. Here's an FAQ:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1390750
I'd prefer to avoid windows for this server, due to extra cost and me being familiar with Ubuntu.

I currently have roughly 3TB of actual data. If I were to go with this setup, what drive size + RAID config should I use? How future-proof is this for acquiring more data? Can I buy different sized drives?

Thanks a lot for the help, I feel like we're making some progress!
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Actually, this is a significantly better deal since it comes with the BBU and PCI-bracket for only $4 more:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-LSI-PERC5i...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I currently have roughly 3TB of actual data. If I were to go with this setup, what drive size + RAID config should I use? How future-proof is this for acquiring more data? Can I buy different sized drives?

You shouldn't buy different sized drives since the RAID array will be limited to the smallest drive size. So say you have two 1.5TB drives and one 750GB drive. If you set them up in a RAID 5 array, you'll only be able to use 1.5TB since those 1.5TB drives will be cut down to 750GB to match that one 750GB drive. So in other words, buy same sized drives.

Anyway for your setup, I recommend RAID 5. You'll need a minimum of 3 drives (the formula for actual usuable storage in RAID 5 is N-1 x size of the smallest drive where N is the number of drives you have). Since you have 3TB worth of actual data, you might need to either get 4 x 1TB drives or 3 x 1.5TB drives. However I do not know if the Perc 5/i will work with any 1.5TB drive.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Actually, this is a significantly better deal since it comes with the BBU and PCI-bracket for only $4 more:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-LSI-PERC5i...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
That is nice. This is time sensitive so I'll see if I can contact the seller and get faster processing, or find another comparable item. I think without the BBU some cache setting isn't enabled too.

Anyway for your setup, I recommend RAID 5. You'll need a minimum of 3 drives (the formula for actual usuable storage in RAID 5 is N-1 x size of the smallest drive where N is the number of drives you have). Since you have 3TB worth of actual data, you might need to either get 4 x 1TB drives or 3 x 1.5TB drives. However I do not know if the Perc 5/i will work with any 1.5TB drive.
If I go with 1TBs, when I need more space I can just add an extra drive and the array will increase in size right?

On the setup, I was going to use a 500GB drive I had lying around as the drive for OS, and not make it part of the array - is this a good idea, or should I actually install the OS on the array?

Thanks again!
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That is nice. This is time sensitive so I'll see if I can contact the seller and get faster processing, or find another comparable item. I think without the BBU some cache setting isn't enabled too.

Also in case of sudden power loss, that BBU makes sure that your data doesn't get corrupted. Though I recommend getting putting the server on a UPS for that extra measure of protection

If I go with 1TBs, when I need more space I can just add an extra drive and the array will increase in size right?

On the setup, I was going to use a 500GB drive I had lying around as the drive for OS, and not make it part of the array - is this a good idea, or should I actually install the OS on the array?
Basically yes, that's all you need to do to add more space: slap in another 1TB drive and the RAID array will increase, not automatically though.

It's a good idea to keep OS drive separate from the RAID array in case you need to reformat the OS drive or something.
 
Yes you can do OCE, online capacity expansion, with a RAID5 array on the Dell Percs, but when dealing with raid5 you need to use drives that are all the same size.

Honestly if your trying to save money, WHS might be a better option for you.
Yea its a $100 up front, but you dont need HW raid cards or even raid cards for that matter(that alone covers the cost of WHS), you can use different sized drives(you dont have to buy a bunch of drives up front...so lets say you only need a 1tb of space right now, you only need to get a 1tb HDD, then later when you need/want more space you can buy whatever drive you want, and just plop it in. With a R5 array you will need to purchase at a minimum 3 of the same size drives for R5 to work.
Also using windows shares makes streaming to the xbox a lil easier.
 
Take a look at unRAID. It will allow you to mix and match drive sizes. It also protects all your data via a parity drive.
 
Back
Top