New mechwarrior in development

For me the thing about UE3 that I dislike is the constant texture pop in.
That kind of stream loading is optional. You can load in all surfaces before the map load, right after the map load (after spawn) or stream them in as required.

The engine just lacks fidelity and realism.
I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

... excuse me, I need to go place a very, very large and expensive order with CH.
And change my pants.

I heard rumors about cross platform 360->PC play :eek:

Yep, They talk about it in the IGN interview and say that there going to push for it. From everything that the developers said, it looks like there staying true to the series, this is going to be a total reboot. I can't wait.

I am intrigued but without the environmental scale the MW:LL is going to provide my interest will be short lived.

... excuse me, I need to go place a very, very large and expensive order with CH.
And change my pants.

Hopefully you will be able to do that, the interview is making it sound like it will all be up to the publisher. I too hope that they add full joystick/throttle/rudder pedal/trackir support, if they worked together with Nvidia for the 3D vision to be perfect that would just be icing on the cake. But from what they said in the interview, the game sounds awesome. I am just trying to figure out how they will map the controls to the 360 controller. I wonder if its possible for them to use a combination of both d-pad and button presses to expand the number of controls available.

Wouldn't it be cool if they teamed up with Microsoft and Saitek (or whoever) so that the PC accessories would work with the 360 version and add full customization of the controls? Obviously this could not be required, be it would be a nice option, even if it only represents less than 1% of the console crowd.

Awesome! I had no idea this was happening....Mechwarrior brings back so many memories....

I hope it has tons of delicious hit-and-run missions a la Pirate's Moon! Nothing like dodging starboard LRM's in a 140 kph Shadowcat, taking out power generators in a fly-by shoot, and hauling ass as the whole base wakes up on you. More medium mechs = more fun. Too many of the end-game MW4 missions were painfully slow, drawn-out brute force affairs that (practically) required assault mechs. Sure there were the mavericks that beat the last mission on Elite in a medium, but for the rest of us mere mortals, balance the mission objectives so that the favored weight classes aren't so skewed!

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

Well it just a subjective observation that is hard to explain. UE3 games seem to have an empty, cookie cutter feel. The games are empty and dull--like the developers are painting with broad strokes or the blunt tools the engine provides for them. The game world lacks tangibility. In an UE3 game I can never suspend disbelief that I am playing a game. It just feels dull and unfocused. It might be the way the developers are using it.

In the source engine games (HL2, L4D, TF2) and Crysis everything feels tight, sharp, and fully realized. With UE3 games, I feel like I'm playing a simple game with a nice looking veneer.

Last edited:
In honor of the 25th Annv. of Battletech www.mektek.net has been allowed by Smith and Tinker to distribute Mechwarrior 4 for FREE.

It will be likely via a torrent and will weigh in around 2-3gb's and include the expansions along with some of Mektek and the communities more well known mods/maps, etc.

In honor of the 25th Annv. of Battletech www.mektek.net has been allowed by Smith and Tinker to distribute Mechwarrior 4 for FREE.

It will be likely via a torrent and will weigh in around 2-3gb's and include the expansions along with some of Mektek and the communities more well known mods/maps, etc.

:eek:

Whoa. I never got into MW4 after its initial release as it felt too dumbed down for my tastes. Now, with the expansions and all the community stuff I will have to give it another go.

Well it just a subjective observation that is hard to explain. UE3 games seem to have an empty, cookie cutter feel.
I think one issue is that developers have a tendency to simply use the 'off-the-shelf' shaders rather than building new ones or modifying them for any specific purpose. There's also the overuse of specular highlights, which seems to be a common trend with most UE3-powered games.

Yeah, I got that "well, this is obviously running on UE3" vibe after having watched a few seconds of the teaser trailers. It's usually, but not always, pretty apparent. It certainly doesn't have to be that way -- the renderer can be retooled in various ways to keep that from being the case. That's true of any platform, really. We just see so much of that because UE3 is so pervasive.

Well it just a subjective observation that is hard to explain. UE3 games seem to have an empty, cookie cutter feel. The games are empty and dull--like the developers are painting with broad strokes or the blunt tools the engine provides for them. The game world lacks tangibility. In an UE3 game I can never suspend disbelief that I am playing a game. It just feels dull and unfocused. It might be the way the developers are using it.

In the source engine games (HL2, L4D, TF2) and Crysis everything feels tight, sharp, and fully realized. With UE3 games, I feel like I'm playing a simple game with a nice looking veneer.

While this may be the case for UT3 and others, I don't think it will for Mechwarrior. I believe the developers have strong intent to bring this game back to life in a big way. According to the interview there using the UE3 engine because there used to working with it and feel comfortable with it. This will probably result in a better experience for the gamer. From watching video trailer, the game certainly didn't look empty or have a cookie cutter feel. Actually seeing the person's hands and arms move clicking the buttons in the cockpit, the cockpit swivel from side to side and the ejection gave me a sense of realism I haven't seen in a long time.

From what I read about the whole licensing deal, one of the founders of FASA was licensed the rights from Microsoft and he actually hired Piranha to make the game. I'm hoping he knows something about them that we don't because...well...their public portfolio is NOT impressive.

I think one issue is that developers have a tendency to simply use the 'off-the-shelf' shaders rather than building new ones or modifying them for any specific purpose. There's also the overuse of specular highlights, which seems to be a common trend with most UE3-powered games.

Yeah, I got that "well, this is obviously running on UE3" vibe after having watched a few seconds of the teaser trailers. It's usually, but not always, pretty apparent. It certainly doesn't have to be that way -- the renderer can be retooled in various ways to keep that from being the case. That's true of any platform, really. We just see so much of that because UE3 is so pervasive.

I don't know. I haven't experienced the latest build of UE3 because I don't have an XBOX so I never played Gears 2. I know they have added ambient occlusion and destructibility to the engine since Bioshock. It might bring more to the table than it used to. It probably is the best engine for them to use for both XBOX and PC. But, a LOT of processing power on PC is going to go to waste when this releases in what--2010-2011? This would have been a great application to really push it to next level but they are building it for yesterdays hardware, not tomorrows. :(

I thought I had read something about a AAA title on Piranhas website set for September...so we may see this sooner than later.

I'll be happy if it includes semi-realistic BT damage and...

Full mech customization.

so much this....

being co developed for x360 worries me greatly.....

i really hope this game lives up to MW2 and MW3.... had MS not screwed us over hardcore, we would have had some amazing Mechwarrior games by now... i mean really, really amazing....

i'm hopeful, but guys... dont get your hopes *too* high until we know more.....

Full mech customization in the 3025 era(heck, pre-3025 era) shouldn't be coming anyway. It's pretty much variants or nothing, not that you'd want to mess with the 300-odd year old precious family heirloom your great-great-great-great-grandparent probably earned his/her stripes in.

Then again, it's probably unavoidable since it's an MW game, which makes the request for semi-realistic(in a giant robot game!? :p) damage a bit of an amusing contrast.

Heh, I used to play Mechwarrior 2 back on MPlayer.com a long time ago. I'll definitely keep an eye on this game.

I can't wait! MW2 and MW4 were awesome games that I have to say I played a lot of. I really got into MW4 and spent money on the Inner Sphere and Clan packs and played that game competitivly as well.

Hmmm, Interesting.

Im glad to see people are picking back up the MW games, however, I kinda feel bad for the Living Legends guys. They've been working really hard on their mod and now, to find out someone else is doing a total, from scratch Mech game. Its kinda like stealing their thunder, ehh?

Even though Ive only seen a few videos from this newest MW game, imo, it pales graphically to the Living Legends mod. Graphics arent everything, I know, but I for one, would like to see some eye candy in a mech game.

Ive mentioned it before in other mech threads, but since this one is new, i'll mention it again. My name SAW is directly connected to MW4, givin to me by some Aussies I used to play the game with at night. Serious Ass Whoopin. I was in the Ghost Bear clan and we kicked ass :)

HEILIGE FICKEN SCHEISSE! I think I just crapped my pants

GIVE ME!!!!!!!!!

Used to play mech 3 on the zone for years miss those days

Im glad to see people are picking back up the MW games, however, I kinda feel bad for the Living Legends guys. They've been working really hard on their mod and now, to find out someone else is doing a total, from scratch Mech game. Its kinda like stealing their thunder, ehh?

I have a feeling this is going to turn into a Fortress Forever/Team Fortress 2 scenario.

I am really excited about a new MW game. I will be extremely disappointed if they fuck this game up. Now only if somebody would make Heavy Gear 3 :)

newb atlas pilot ~_~

same thing I thought, that dude what have gotten mauled quickly. The Atlas should have just alpha striked that guy while he was totally off guard...

I don't like the cockpit voice though... bring back the old MW2 one.

has anyone mentioned system specs yet?
Dual monitors ETC ????

I WANT IT NOW

MY GOD NO not xbox
this is a simulator not tonka truck 3rd person bs

has anyone mentioned system specs yet?
Dual monitors ETC ????

I WANT IT NOW

MY GOD NO not xbox
this is a simulator not tonka truck 3rd person bs

Well... if its any (consoleation) :p , Steel Battalion for the original xbox was pretty damn realistic. I know there different games but the devs talked about it in the interview on IGN, maybe there taking notes. Lets hope the devs see it that way too, Im confident though that there leaning more towards the PC version of MechWarrior.

If you are good at something, never do it for free. -The Joker.

It is foolish to develop someone else's IP without an agreement that protects you and compensation. So hopefully the living legends guys will be able to use the work that they have done to showcase their talents to future employers.

They had the ok from Microsoft to do it back in the day, befor ethe liscensed it back to the original guy.

I wonder if they will have some of the Mechs able to use contact weapons. Hatchetman anyone? I loved playing Battletech pen and paper when I was in high school.

Ahahahah so true! Atlas vs Loki fight should of lasted 20-30 seconds tops! :D but then again there is not much weaponry Atlas got...

It was a Warhammer, heathen:p

Scratch one mech off of my "wish it was in a game" list...:cool:

But that still leaves the Battlemaster, Marauder, Archer, Crusader, Rifleman, Shadow Hawk, Phoenix Hawk, Stinger, Wasp, and Locust. And those are just the ones from the 3025 Technical Readout!!

I doubt Microsoft will allow it. It would just show how inferior the 360 and its controls are compared to a PC.
Haven't you learned anything from console-to-pc ports? S&T and Pirhana will develop for the xbox controller first, and worry about PC controls later. There's a pretty slim chance the PC version will have anywhere near the kind of control that the previous Mechwarrior games provided. And don't hope for a Steel Battalion type controller either, since this idea was shot down in the interview...

...So hopefully the living legends guys will be able to use the work that they have done to showcase their talents to future employers.
The non-commercial license given to the MWLL team from Microsoft is not likely voided by this. Smith & Tinker is a licensee of the Mechwarrior IP from Microsoft, who still owns the franchise. Furthermore, even if S&T owned the property, they'd likely support the MWLL team: they've shown that they support the modding community by allowing MekTek to rerelease Mechwarrior 4 and all its expansions for free.

Even though Ive only seen a few videos from this newest MW game, imo, it pales graphically to the Living Legends mod. Graphics arent everything, I know, but I for one, would like to see some eye candy in a mech game.

They showed alpha footage. This game isn't coming out for a long time. Sometime in late 2010 or 2011.

Back