New mechwarrior in development

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59432

Update: A few more videos have surfaced. Viewable below, the clips combine, like a Transformer, to provide a full look at what is undoubtedly a giant mechanical warrior.

Voodoo Extreme owner IGN claims it will clear up the "rumors" through the publication of an interview with MechWarrior liscensee Jordan Weisman and Piranha's Russ Bullock on Thursday, July 9 at 12:01 AM PDT. The rumors apparently began after footage popped up on YouTube, with IGN adding that the announcement "will rock your computer."

Original: A new MechWarrior game is under development by Piranha Games, according to a very short teaser trailer and unsubtle hints dropped by Voodoo Extreme. No other details are known, though the site suggests a full trailer will be released later this week.

"Oh my, what on Earth could this be about? Could it be... a new MechWarrior?! Gee, I suppose it could," were the words and links that accompanied the site's posting of the below teaser. "Perhaps a Piranha will post a proper trailer later in the week?"

Piranha Games has a quiet development history, with its most recent credit being "additional character and level art" on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Luxoflux's robo-tastic movie tie-in game Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Jordan Weisman, founder of MechWarrior creator FASA, announced in 2007 that his new company Smith & Tinker had licensed the electronic rights to the MechWarrior property from Microsoft--which had bought FASA--and intended to "surprise and delight old fans."

The mech combat simulator series' last installment was MechWarrior 4 in 2000, and developer FASA Interactive was closed in 2007. Microsoft has since permitted the upcoming Crysis mod MechWarrior: Living Legends to use the property.

Can'y wait, just hope this doesn't fuck up mechwarrior living legends mod for crysis.

I like the Toyota FT-HS (the white car) just sitting there, pretty cool that if this is real that it would be considered to be a civilian vehicle in the game.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay finally. Now just need someone to remake tribes 1 exactly as it was with current graphics and I'll be content.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The upcoming announcement is going to "rock my computer", according to IGN. I wonder what that means, and whether I'm going to want my computer to be rocked (or not).

Hmm...

The upcoming announcement is going to "rock my computer", according to IGN. I wonder what that means, and whether I'm going to want my computer to be rocked (or not).

Hmm...
8 core processor requirements etc etc

Hizzah! Finally. Damn its been so long. I hope its good.

I have my doubts. Did they even interact with the community to see what the people want? For what it's worth.....in before arcade mode.

I'm fairly confident in what they'll bring to the table since the Smith and Tinker guys are involved - but in any case I'm excited to hear about more Battletech on the horizon. Been waiting for years upon years for a new Mechwarrior or Mechcommander game. So even if it's another Mechwarrior 4, I'll be plenty happy.

I have a big boner for the game. I'm really excited even if they don't try something new with the franchise, I would be perfectly content with improved graphics and gui. Now that there is a new MechWarrior coming I just wish that Rallisport Challenge will rise from the dead.

woohooo. that's indeed good news. for me mechcommander 2 was the best of the lot.
have it installed still

Piranha.... those are the guys who made flop like Gothic 3. I'd not believe they are able to produce good, stable game that is properly coded.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! god damnit they better do this shit right.. otherwise ill have to kill some one..

Make it like Mechwarrior 2 and we are all set.

I'll settle for MW4 style.

MW3 I hated...

Bout frigging time.

Piranha.... those are the guys who made flop like Gothic 3. I'd not believe they are able to produce good, stable game that is properly coded.

No. That would be Piranha Bytes.
Piranha Games is another development house altogether... one I've never heard of, to be honest.
Looking them up reveals a pretty shitty repertoire:
* Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza (PC)
* EA Playground (DS)
* Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 (PSP)
* Need For Speed: Undercover (PSP)

But yeah... If the rumor's true, I'll check it out on PC. Something tells me Microsoft will make it 360 exclusive for a while, though.

I have my doubts. Did they even interact with the community to see what the people want? For what it's worth.....in before arcade mode.

I'm sure they did, but according to shack news they wanted to keep the project under wraps until they were ready to unveil it. Personally I would like to see more and more companies start doing this again. Its there game. Let them come up with the ideas. Also I like the idea of not knowing about a game (especially one of you favorites) until its close to release or atleast a ways into development. Its like opening a Christmas present, it also cuts down on the wait time and slows the hype machine.

Hope it better than MW3. MW4 i pretend did not even exist, such a crappy piece of software, made MW look like an fps title not a mech simulator.

Mech 3 was a simulator, you didnt turn on a dime or accelerate instantly, it took skill. and you could actually move your torso, but that also took time and you could hear the servos grind in all those scenarios. Otherwise, the simple aiming was done with just moving your arms. Hell, you could even aim behind you if you twisted your torso 90 degrees and extended the arm all the way. (was really good when you were running away)

Anyways, the videos look good, but thats not in game footage so who knows how it will turn out. I think they will dumb it down and make it another FPS like title.

I'm sure they did, but according to shack news they wanted to keep the project under wraps until they were ready to unveil it. Personally I would like to see more and more companies start doing this again. Its there game. Let them come up with the ideas. Also I like the idea of not knowing about a game (especially one of you favorites) until its close to release or atleast a ways into development. Its like opening a Christmas present, it also cuts down on the wait time and slows the hype machine.

yeah but its going to give us old folk that were huge mechwarrior fans a heart attack having to wait for some real video's/information..

Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza (PC)
For those who don't know, Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza originally started out as the Nakatomi Plaza mod for Duke Nukem 3D. I applied to the team (before it even had a name) probably a decade ago as a level designer (Build was crazy, crashy fun) and ended up doing very little work with them. Eventually, the mod died out -- was then resurrected -- died again, and this continued on and on for years. I guess they finally got around to releasing the game six years later in 2002.

My question is: how the hell did these guys get ahold of this IP? This is nearly as bad as the virgin producer with two no-name games under his belt somehow ending up with Thief IV.

No. That would be Piranha Bytes.
Piranha Games is another development house altogether... one I've never heard of, to be honest.
Looking them up reveals a pretty shitty repertoire:
* Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza (PC54)
* EA Playground (DS)
* Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 (PSP)
* Need For Speed: Undercover (PSP)

But yeah... If the rumor's true, I'll check it out on PC. Something tells me Microsoft will make it 360 exclusive for a while, though.

What's microsoft have to do with it?

They closed down FASA and sold the IP back to the guy that had it before MS.

Over the years I've seen at least a dozen Mechwarrior threads on these boards, reminiscing about games past and hoping for a revival and a sequel. Well, that day has come.

Here's a 6-page IGN interview

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/100/1002164p1.html

Forget what you've played before; say hello to MechWarrior. That's its full title, there's no 5 or V after its name; this is a complete reboot for the famous franchise. To learn more, we have an exclusive interview with Smith and Tinker co-founder Jordan Weisman and Russ Bullock, president of Piranha Games. Weisman was also the co-founder of FASA and a co-creator of the BattleTech universe that MechWarrior is based upon.

It will be way cool but common--Unreal Engine 3? XBOX360? This game will probably only amount to a fraction of its potential with respect to visuals and physics. I hate Unreal Engine 3. Hate.

I am not too crazy about it either, but after reading the IGN interview, it seems that a lot could change between now and release, they are saying that most of the say-so will be up to whoever publishes the game, but they have some great ideas themselves. Hopefully their ideas will make it into the final game, especially regarding controls and the ability for cross platform co-op and multiplayer (that would indeed be awesome).

I haven't been this excited for a game in years - the trailer and interview both are making me feel like this is exactly what I've been waiting for for so long.

Can't effin' wait.

What's microsoft have to do with it?

They closed down FASA and sold the IP back to the guy that had it before MS.

That's news to me. Surprising as hell, as well. lol

EDIT: At the end of the trailer it says MechWarrior is a registered trademark of Microsoft, and that "some materials are owned and subject to copyright by Microsoft". So yeah, they didn't sell anything back. They just licensed the rights to that new company - the odds of Microsoft publishing the game for them is pretty much 100%. Fortunately, the trailer is for a PC version, so it looks like MS won't be pulling another Alan Wake on us ("PC version? huh?").

Last edited:
I'll be happy if it includes semi-realistic BT damage and...

Full mech customization.

This new Mech game that is coming looks like it is going to be very good going by the videos at IGN. Looking forward to it. Just hope the PC version supports TrackIR as that would help a lot for situational awareness.

That's news to me. Surprising as hell, as well. lol

EDIT: At the end of the trailer it says MechWarrior is a registered trademark of Microsoft, and that "some materials are owned and subject to copyright by Microsoft". So yeah, they didn't sell anything back. They just licensed the rights to that new company - the odds of Microsoft publishing the game for them is pretty much 100%. Fortunately, the trailer is for a PC version, so it looks like MS won't be pulling another Alan Wake on us ("PC version? huh?").

You're right they just bought the liscense to use the various IP's but it doesn't mean MS is publishing it, in the Q&A:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/100/1002164p1.html

They go on and on about finding a publisher and how they are in talks with various ones and want to get the hype for the game out there to attract more publishers :p.

How could you hate an engine? How does that work, exactly?

For me the thing about UE3 that I dislike is the constant texture pop in. I hate going around a corner or doing something quickly and then seeing a low res texture right up in my face for a few seconds until it loads the high res texture, that's annoying and it's affected games like Gears of War/Mass Effect, etc greatly.

How could you hate an engine? How does that work, exactly?

Don't know if it's the engine, but every single game dev who uses the UT3 engine has their game ends up becoming small, claustrophobic, and cartoony looking. All of them. I too hate the UT3 engine. I can't believe they are going to use this engine with infinitely better engines available (Crysis, anyone?). It would have been better for them to integrate that Crysis Mechwarior LL mod into their team instead of trying to start anew.

Don't know if it's the engine, but every single game dev who uses the UT3 engine has their game ends up becoming small, claustrophobic, and cartoony looking. All of them. I too hate the UT3 engine. I can't believe they are going to use this engine with infinitely better engines available (Crysis, anyone?). It would have been better for them to integrate that Crysis Mechwarior LL mod into their team instead of trying to start anew.

Exactly. The engine just lacks fidelity and realism. Also, think about the type of hardware that is going to be available when this game launches (DX11 cards, ect). Then think about the fact this game is being developed for the XBOX360. I'm glad there is a new Mechwarrior game but at the same time it sort of makes me sick.

Back