New MB/CPU?

tucansam

n00b
Joined
Apr 16, 2012
Messages
12
Gang,

I presently run a quad core AMD Phenom II @ 3.8GHz with 8GB RAM and Win7. I do *a lot* of multitasking... Firefox has over 50 tabs open at any given time, same for Chrome. I don't close apps often, I usually leave them open and the system stay up for months at a time. I average 6.5GB RAM in use at any given time. I am not a gamer. I have a 480GTX that I use to accelerate google earth; this will go with the new system.

Right now the system is GTG, but opening large google earth datasets, or large numbers of media files in browser windows, starts to bog the system down. I do a lot of mapping stuff, large datasets, large media files of terrain fly-throughs, GPS topos, etc.

When the system bogs, GUI interactivity stutters. This is my biggest hangup. I can wait for an app; I don't want to have to wait for the system. Under load, clicking "Start" to open a new app takes upwards of 10-15 seconds to render the Start menu.

I'm not 100% sold on SSDs yet so that leaves CPU/MB upgrades.

I'm thinking about the new Ivy Bridge series. Speed and utter reliability are key. I'm not an overclocker. Rebooting the system for updates is fine; BSODs are completely unacceptable, as are hung apps. As it stands now, my uptime is pushing four months. This is good. System is on 24/7.

Any advice?
 
Last edited:
Hows your RAM usage like?
Are you seeing 100% CPU usage in task manager in the "large google earth datasets, or large numbers of media files in browser windows" and such?
What about case and and PSU do you have?
What HDD do you have
What OS do you have?
 
Upwards of 6.5GB RAM in use at any given time, on average; Windows 7; a Silverstone Sugo SG03 (MicroATX), and right now a Samsung F4 1TB.

CPU usage varies, but idles between 5-18%; loads hit 100% for a few seconds periodically, but for the most part stay below 50%.
 
Back
Top