New Macbooks on the horizon - finally!

If they ditch the chicklet I won't be upgrading unless somehow they improved upon it, I hated the old flat keyboard design, I like having a tiny bit of space between the keys, like a desktop keyboard has, I can feel around and know where I am if I don't feel like turning the backlight on just to press 'next' or something.

I don't really have the money right now, but I'd love an i5/i7 MBP update with a more modern graphics solution.

can't see why they would. everyone else is following suit on the chiclet

Yeah I guess you are right.

We have 3 and the biggest complaint I get is the shitty keyboard, same with their dtop keyboards.

Oh well.

Just in time!

My father decided to put my Macbook Pro 15" on top of the foyer while I was out at the movies. 8 foot drop and a hard wood floor later and this is the result:

image.jpg

Lots more damage that I didn't take pictures of. Best part is that it still kinda works! All the ports are busted and the disc drive stopped working, as well as the screen popping out.. but it still works! A testament to Apple's hardware. I'd love to see a Dell take that fall.

Looks like the perfect timing, since my dad is planning on replacing it!

Yeah I guess you are right.

We have 3 and the biggest complaint I get is the shitty keyboard, same with their dtop keyboards.

Oh well.
I actually rather like the desktop keyboard, so much so that I bought one to use at work with my Windows box and carry the little mini bluetooth one in my laptop bag. But I readily admit that you either love it or hate it - no middle ground with this keyboard design, I suspect...

I actually rather like the desktop keyboard, so much so that I bought one to use at work with my Windows box and carry the little mini bluetooth one in my laptop bag. But I readily admit that you either love it or hate it - no middle ground with this keyboard design, I suspect...

None that I can see. A few people like them, but the rest HATE them.

I still use my Model M's. :D

Just in time!

My father decided to put my Macbook Pro 15" on top of the foyer while I was out at the movies. 8 foot drop and a hard wood floor later and this is the result:

Lots more damage that I didn't take pictures of. Best part is that it still kinda works! All the ports are busted and the disc drive stopped working, as well as the screen popping out.. but it still works! A testament to Apple's hardware. I'd love to see a Dell take that fall.

you have a father, a foyer and a macbook. i'm jealous.

None that I can see. A few people like them, but the rest HATE them.

I still use my Model M's. :D
I miss the old IBM keyswitch keyboards. :( I bought a replica one, but it's just not the same...

Which is fine I guess, since I like the current Apple chiclet keyboards. :)

Does it contains less seams? If not I won't consider the upgrade. I am serious.
Fewer seams AND more vertices!! :confused: Nobody knows man, they haven't been announced yet. :p

Joking aside, I'm not sure what you mean by "less seams". Compared to the Santa Rosa models, the upcoming models couldn't possibly have any more assembly seams. LOL But compared to the current Unibody models? I thought they were pretty seamless assemblies already, as laptops go.

Joking aside, I'm not sure what you mean by "less seams". Compared to the Santa Rosa models, the upcoming models couldn't possibly have any more assembly seams. LOL But compared to the current Unibody models? I thought they were pretty seamless assemblies already, as laptops go.

Still have seams around each key!

There are keyboards that don't have seams around keys, but they all suck.

They all have poor key switches and feel like poop.

Just in time!

image.jpg

I would bet the Dell Adamo would handle the fall the same if not better since abit lighter without a disk drive. :p just sayen :D

Ugh, not pleased with the pricing.

I went from, "I will definitely buy one when they come out" to "Ehh, not so much"

Pricing is on par with what I would expect. I'll probably wait until I can nab one on Amazon tax free.

Pricing looks reasonable to me. Well... Reasonable for MBP's anyway. :p The 15" i7 is still less than what I paid for my Santa Rosa three years ago. I'm just thrilled that they FINALLY added a 1680x1050 display to the 15" model! 'Bout stinkin' time...!

Need to scrape together a little more cash, but a 15" 1680x1050 Core i7 model is definitely in my future. :)

I was actually considering getting one of these, but after seeing the price...no way. $2200 for the model that comes with the 512mb GPU? Sorry, I am not paying that much.

They're probably just trying to get rid of the last of the C2D. I would expect this to move to an i3 in the next few months, thoughts?

Realistically, what's the performance difference between a C2D and an i3? I've heard not much, but should draw less power?

I was actually considering getting one of these, but after seeing the price...no way. $2200 for the model that comes with the 512mb GPU? Sorry, I am not paying that much.

So buy the older gen for cheaper??

I think the best thing I noticed is the 15" 1680x1050 upgrade ($100). The extra resolution in the smaller package is amazing.

However I agree about the lack of power in the 13". An i5 in that package would be incredible.

I really wanted an i5 in the 13" but the higher resolution screen option in the 15" means I'll be upgrading to it within the next 2-3 months.

They're probably just trying to get rid of the last of the C2D. I would expect this to move to an i3 in the next few months, thoughts?

Realistically, what's the performance difference between a C2D and an i3? I've heard not much, but should draw less power?

Realistically, not much. The 13" will always be held back by the lack of discrete graphics, making the i3 not much of an improvement overall. Still C2D, but now you get 2.4ghz, 10 hour battery, new gpu chip, and 4GB RAM for the same price as the 2.26 GHz, 2GB RAM, 9400M, and 7 hour battery. The new gpu is faster, but I don't know by how much really. Not going to make me dump my 2.26, but a nice upgrade for those who waited.

As for the price on the 15", what did you expect? Did you think Apple was going to put in i5/7 and new gpu's and make them the price leader in the laptop market? If you did, you were/are delusional. The 15/17" MPB have always been super pricey, and they always will be pricey.

Realistically, not much. The 13" will always be held back by the lack of discrete graphics, making the i3 not much of an improvement overall. Still C2D, but now you get 2.4ghz, 10 hour battery, new gpu chip, and 4GB RAM for the same price as the 2.26 GHz, 2GB RAM, 9400M, and 7 hour battery. The new gpu is faster, but I don't know by how much really. Not going to make me dump my 2.26, but a nice upgrade for those who waited.

As for the price on the 15", what did you expect? Did you think Apple was going to put in i5/7 and new gpu's and make them the price leader in the laptop market? If you did, you were/are delusional. The 15/17" MPB have always been super pricey, and they always will be pricey.

Every other manufacturer can afford it. Apple are just being assholes about it.

The real deal comes when the old ones go clearance at best buy.

I am thinking of buying the new 15 with HD screen. Will probably wait awhile though.

I don't understand what makes MBP so damn expensive. I see Windows based laptop with similar spec cost around half the price of MBP. Did they spent half the price in marketing?

The quality of the hardware is also pretty damn good. Is it completely worth the asking price? Well, that varies from person to person. But I've been extremely happy with my early '08 MBP and wouldn't trade it for anything but a newer one.

1789+tax for base w/ HD screen via my school is what I'll be getting, have a few things to square up first, then I'll be making the jump.

Is the difference between the processors as small as I think it is? Just minor speed bumps? That's how it reads on Intels site even too, just 4M cache i7 vs 3M on the i5, big whoop.. really?

Last edited:
I'm disappointed that the 13" isn't getting the Core i5. I'm guessing, and hoping, that with the next hardware refresh they'll get them. Either way it's fine by me, for now, because I can hold off on getting a new one. :)

Back