• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Mac Mini Questions

Just get the ram from newegg, it's cheaper. And it's easy to upgrade. According to apple's site is 1066mhz DDR3 desktop ram and it has two slots for ram.

It uses a SATA laptop hard drive. Put in whichever one you like. SSD works fine.
 
I did the memory upgrade just a few weeks ago, its not that hard at all (a little harrowing opening the case and stuff, but nothing an [H] member can't handle)

I buy my memory from OWC, just because I have a good business relationship with them.
I put in 2x 2Gb sticks, I dunno what the max is per channel, I think it's a max of 4gb total though.
 
Memory install in the new Mac mini is dead simple. Replacing the hard drive is not for everyone, though. Almost broke mine a couple of times.
 
Dell also has a rebadged Seagate Momentus 7200.4 drive on their site. It's called the Dell Momentus. It can be had, with a coupon if you Google around, for $135 with free shipping. I got lucky when I ordered; it was in stock. Apparently now it's not...

Good luck!

edit: My mistake... that's $125 with the coupon.
 
Last edited:
Well I decided I wanted to go mobile and purchased a Macbook instead. I've been looking around and it seems like I have the same choices in self upgrades as the mac mini I was thinking about purchasing.

I upgraded from a Mac Mini to a Macbook and was happy I did. About the same processing power, but the added mobility really comes in handy. I have mine set up with an external 24" LCD on my desk and have been impressed with the combo.
 
I have the new upgraded 2.26 Mini, upgraded to 4gb of Crucial RAM but decided to live the default internal and use an external connected over FW800. Part of my reasoning in not upgrading the drive for the time being was heat. Initially I wanted to put in a 500gb 7200rpm Seagate drive, but after doing a bit of research I wanted to watch temps with the default internal first. My room is somewhat warm, and my Mini tends to run between 50-80C depending on load. The external works just fine for HD playback and managing my iTunes library, no noticeable latency issues - so I think I may just keep it this way.
 
If you select either model on the store it's a CTO option. The only difference between the $599 and $799 is the RAM and HDD, either can be upgraded.
 
I was considering replacing the cpu with the new 2.9ghz C2D processor, 4GB memory, and a SSD hard drive.

Does anyone know how much money (US dollar) the 2.0ghz cpu, 1gb memory, and 120GB SATA hard drive are worth that are included with the new Mac Mini?
 
I did not look at the CPU when I had my wifes apart to do the RAM. Its under a heatsink and a little muffin fan blows over it. Kinda kills the upgrade path, but then again for the price... its a steal.
 
Just got my 2.26GHz mini and the RAM I ordered isn't here yet. I simply cannot believe how well this thing runs with 1GB RAM.

I'm just going to use it for a HTPC with Plex so now I'm wishing I had ordered it with 2GB so I wouldn't have to open it. In the end it will have 4GB but now I think that's overkill.

I was streaming Blu-ray rips last night (wirelessly) from my WHS and it wasn't even breaking a sweat with 1GB. It wasn't dropping frames at all on the rips I had on hand.
 
Just got my 2.26GHz mini and the RAM I ordered isn't here yet. I simply cannot believe how well this thing runs with 1GB RAM.

I'm just going to use it for a HTPC with Plex so now I'm wishing I had ordered it with 2GB so I wouldn't have to open it. In the end it will have 4GB but now I think that's overkill.

I was streaming Blu-ray rips last night (wirelessly) from my WHS and it wasn't even breaking a sweat with 1GB. It wasn't dropping frames at all on the rips I had on hand.

I don't know if plex supports hardware acceleration on that but if it does it takes no power at all to play a blu ray rip.
I do it on my HTPC I built with only a 2ghz C2D but the Intel G45 onboard video is doing all the work.
 
I don't know if plex supports hardware acceleration on that but if it does it takes no power at all to play a blu ray rip.
I do it on my HTPC I built with only a 2ghz C2D but the Intel G45 onboard video is doing all the work.

No, Plex does not utilize the GPU at this time. It utilized FFmpeg for decoding and if I understand correctly we need to wait for the next major OSX iteration to uncover access to the GPU for such things.
 
Back
Top