New Luxury Dorm to Open at Purdue

HardOCP News

[H] News
Purdue was offering new luxury dorm rooms that had high-speed wireless internet, flat screen TVs, free laundry services and more. I said “was offering” because all 365 rooms were snapped up in less than two days.

The $52 million First Street Towers, parts of which will open this fall, includes 365 single-occupant rooms with private bathrooms, flat-screen televisions, wireless Internet, free laundry facilities and cleaning services.

130sqft? No thanks. I like my 800sqft apartment just fine. More luxurious than those dorms anyway.

Or you could live at home and use the saved money for a down payment on a home. Renting is throwing your money away.

Not everyone lives within driving distance from campus. Nor does everyone have parents rich enough to buy them a beater house during their college years. So they rent an apt or, if they don't mind Purdue's draconian housing rules, live in the dorms.

The square footage does suck though. Off campus housing ftw.

A 2-hour drive to Purdue everyday would have sucked, my 5 minute bus ride from my apartment was much better. Never had to live in the dorm :)

Holy crap.

What a far cry from my years there in the 2-man closets of Cary Quadrangle!

Or you could live at home and use the saved money for a down payment on a home. Renting is throwing your money away.

Lol, like anyone would actually pay for that double-wide cubicle themselves.
Renting is throwing Daddy's money away.

Jeez, I didnt know they had all that in them. I knew they were "special" but not this special. Go us!!

13.8k per academic year. Not bad, but quite a bit more than your traditional shared dorms.

I'm not sure what apartments cost in Lafayette In, but that's a lot of money for roughly 9 months/year. If you can get a 2bedroom apt for a grand a month, you could buy a nice flat screen with the money saved....and if they're willing to take on a roommate they can buy a nice surround sound system too.

I didn't hear about this till the H post. I teach at a extension, not West Lafayette...gonna have to mention it in the office tomorrow.

I'm not sure what apartments cost in Lafayette In, but that's a lot of money for roughly 9 months/year. If you can get a 2bedroom apt for a grand a month, you could buy a nice flat screen with the money saved....and if they're willing to take on a roommate they can buy a nice surround sound system too.

But who's gonna do your laundry?:p

Purdue was offering new luxury dorm rooms that had high-speed wireless internet, flat screen TVs, free laundry services and more. I said “was offering” because all 365 rooms were snapped up in less than two days.

What a total waste. It's no wonder college is becoming more and more unaffordable. I lived in Owen Hall (I was a co-op, pretty impossible to live in apartments for 4 months at a time) with no air conditioning when I was at Purdue (AC is not really necessary there except for the summer). I paid like $100 per semester for a dedicated 9600bps data line (the "DOV" for any of you that remember it).

It seems to me that making do with very little in college has a purpose - makes you appreciate hard work and the associated paycheck when you get out of college. I'll remember Purdue's new found emphasis on total undergraduate comfort and pampering when they call me for money.

thats like 1300 per month...which is rediculous for 400 square feet!! rip off...

I don't want to get too off topic, but unless you purchased your home very recently, buying a house is a lot like throwing money away as well. It may regain the lost equity, but when some areas are down >30%, it's going to take a long, long time.

What a total waste. It's no wonder college is becoming more and more unaffordable. I lived in Owen Hall (I was a co-op, pretty impossible to live in apartments for 4 months at a time) with no air conditioning when I was at Purdue (AC is not really necessary there except for the summer). I paid like $100 per semester for a dedicated 9600bps data line (the "DOV" for any of you that remember it).

It seems to me that making do with very little in college has a purpose - makes you appreciate hard work and the associated paycheck when you get out of college. I'll remember Purdue's new found emphasis on total undergraduate comfort and pampering when they call me for money.
I'm guessing they are banking off of this, otherwise why would they do it? Colleges are businesses too and if all 365 were snapped up at 13.8k/year, that just landed them over $5,000,000.

I'm guessing they are banking off of this, otherwise why would they do it? Colleges are businesses too and if all 365 were snapped up at 13.8k/year, that just landed them over $5,000,000.

Article says that the building cost $52M. That means it will take over ten years to recover the original cost of the building, without adjusting for interest or adding in maintenance costs (how impressive is a flat screen TV in 10 years?). They may make money, but it won't happen for a long, long time.

Meh. $13.8k isn't that bad. Where I go, $11k minimum for a triple, up to $16k for a single, depending on location. The triple rooms here are only ~25% larger than their single. If offered their package at my school, I'd definitely pay the extra $3k for it.

What I said still applies. Use Daddy's money on a down payment instead.

Who the hell cares, daddy is pumping in money back into the American economy, something that every real American should be doing right now. Instead everyone is listening to the MSNBC / CNN fear mongering and hording up money like a bunch of liberal commies.

Who the hell cares, daddy is pumping in money back into the American economy, something that every real American should be doing right now. Instead everyone is listening to the MSNBC / CNN fear mongering and hording up money like a bunch of liberal commies.
lol...wait, are you serious?

LOL i can't believe we made [H]. =|

rofl thinking the same thing.

what they dont tell you:

high speed internet capped at 5gb bandwidth per day.

the amount of people that have peed in the halls when under construction.. a few rotc people even partied in there Oo

p.s. dorm and apartment expenses is half the reason to go greek at purdue

increasing the cost of living in the dorms drives up prices everywhere else, especially on housing that is based on the dorm prices like most co-ops and greek houses are. many are seeing $800 increases

Meh. $13.8k isn't that bad. Where I go, $11k minimum for a triple, up to $16k for a single, depending on location. The triple rooms here are only ~25% larger than their single. If offered their package at my school, I'd definitely pay the extra $3k for it.

this is a state school, in state tuition costs less than housing. unlike private schools where it is hella expensive

Article says that the building cost $52M. That means it will take over ten years to recover the original cost of the building, without adjusting for interest or adding in maintenance costs (how impressive is a flat screen TV in 10 years?). They may make money, but it won't happen for a long, long time.

Given the size of the room, I think we can assume that the TV is small.

10 years to get back their money seems pretty fast too me. yes there's maintenance, but the price of these rooms are super high, IMO. If you're spending that much time in your room, you're doing something wrong....and even if that's the way you like it, you're still better off in an apartment.

Back