New Lian Li PC- Q11 itx case : Specification & Feature

A few somewhat banal pics of my set up I've been meaning to post. Not really helpful I know. I didn't do the greatest documentation when building it unfortunately.

Looks nice and clean workstation setup. Is it me or does the Q11A look different in your pictures than others (i.e. darker)?

You were able to fit all the stuff in your sig in the Q11? Must have been a tight squeeze! :)

Yup, it was quite the squeeze! I followed Tweakzz very thorough post (on pg 19 of this thread) showing how to get an H50 to fit with a non modular psu. It wasn't too bad once I planned out the right sequence to put it all together.

nice build! what temps are you getting with that 570?

My 570 is getting some pretty high temps when gaming to be honest and the fan is quite loud. It idles at 40C-45C (CPU at 35C) which is good. The highest I have seen it go up to is close to 90 degrees (when playing witcher 2 for a few hours straight). Most games don't push it to those kinds of temps however. We'll see what Battlefield 3 does to it...

Looks nice and clean workstation setup. Is it me or does the Q11A look different in your pictures than others (i.e. darker)?

Thanks. It's probably the lighting in my basement and mostly because I did a bit of an HDR like effect on photoshop (dodging and burning).

Last edited:
Do you mean seasonic X-series? The 650 is 160mm, yes I'd say that's too big especially because it is modular. My modular 140mm strider was a tight squeeze with the bundled cables.

Oops, I do mean the Seasonic X-series. You serious that it'll be a tight fit with the Q11?

Oops, I do mean the Seasonic X-series. You serious that it'll be a tight fit with the Q11?

Well I guess everything is a "tight fit" in this box, but yes it will be a squeeze. On Seasonic's website, all of them are 160mm and modular. To give you an idea this post, for example shows a 150mm modular PSU in the Q11. Then on top of that you have the modular cables coming out which adds more depth, and you're looking at a very cramped interior.

So yes it will fit, just know what you're getting into... :)

edit: linked the wrong post before, updated

Last edited:
Hello all.

Here is my PC-Q11 build

Lian Li PC-Q11
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge
Intel 2600k CPU Cooler (don't hate )
G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
GIGABYTE GA-H67N-USB3-B3 LGA 1155
GIGABYTE GeForce GT 520 OC
Silverstone SST-ST45SF 450 Watt
OCZ Vertex 60Gb SSD
2x WD Caviar Green 2Tb

Just put it together the other day. Now the modding begins. ;)

c.png

Last edited:
Hello for all

Im new in HARDFORUM, i was reading all posts here from a SSF Build and i will be glad if anyone can aswer me if the Lian Li PCQ 11 can fit's ou maybe its compatible with a ATi Radeon 6950 2GB Video Card,

Here is the model in question

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/HD 6000series/6950Standard.aspx

I plan to built a Lian Li PC Q11 with

Intel Core i7 2600K

GigaByte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3783

2x4GB - Viper Xtreme Series, Division Viper 2 Edition DDR3 8GB 1600MHz Low Latency Kit - PXD38G1600LLK
http://patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&prodgroupid=194&id=1041&type=1

XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 - HD-695X-CNDC

PSU UltraProducts X3 1000Watts Full Modular
http://www.ultraproducts.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4267989&CatId=2535

2x Corsair GT 60GB
http://www.corsair.com/ssd/force-se...60gb-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive.html

Now i not plan to use a bluray driver but, i can use it with USB enclosure and Im trying to find a way to put a Corsair H60 inside it.

Hello for all

Im new in HARDFORUM, i was reading all posts here from a SSF Build and i will be glad if anyone can aswer me if the Lian Li PCQ 11 can fit's ou maybe its compatible with a ATi Radeon 6950 2GB Video Card,

Here is the model in question

I plan to built a Lian Li PC Q11 with

Intel Core i7 2600K

GigaByte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3783

2x4GB - Viper Xtreme Series, Division Viper 2 Edition DDR3 8GB 1600MHz Low Latency Kit - PXD38G1600LLK
http://patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&prodgroupid=194&id=1041&type=1

XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 - HD-695X-CNDC

PSU UltraProducts X3 1000Watts Full Modular
http://www.ultraproducts.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4267989&CatId=2535

2x Corsair GT 60GB
http://www.corsair.com/ssd/force-se...60gb-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive.html

Now i not plan to use a bluray driver but, i can use it with USB enclosure and Im trying to find a way to put a Corsair H60 inside it.

If you read this thread you'd know that the case is not deep enough to fit either the PSU or the videocard from your list.

The idea is just this

Fit components that dont "match" it, i will use this PSU without the frontal FAN Chassis but i need to disasemble the suport FAN from Chassis and made some casemod in some areas.

The video card compared with other model's here in forum likes the 6870 could be fited the model in question has a 249mm PCB length with cooler and the 12VDC are located in the side of video card and not in the rear.

If anyone can take a picture of inside lenght with a ruler i will be very glad =D

@vitiello:

When I measured the inside with a tape measure, it was between 9.5 and 9.6 inches or around 240mm maximum for a video card. This is what I remember; I am at work right now but will double check when I get home. Also I would seriously consider another PSU and leaving the fan in the case, unless you plan on modding another fan in somewhere else. That is the only case fan. I don't think it would be a good idea to rely on the PSU to exhaust all the hot air out on its own. You also don't need anything close to 1000w for that set up.

@the thread

Anyone else notice that their stealth drive cover is slightly crooked on this case? Mine is a little tilted. Got the silver model. No one notices but me and it's not a huge deal but... it's nagging me.

Also... my reset button constantly flashes every second. Another "no one cares but me" thing... but this bothers me a little more. I don't think it is the HDD working as it flashes at idle, with no HDD activity showing. Any idea what this is? Other forums have stated it is constant querying activity on the SATA bus... never seen this before on any PC I have built though. Tried disabling autorun and autoplay as some stated it was Windows querying the DVD drive but that did not take care of it.

Last edited:
Also... my reset button constantly flashes every second. Another "no one cares but me" thing... but this bothers me a little more. I don't think it is the HDD working as it flashes at idle, with no HDD activity showing. Any idea what this is? Other forums have stated it is activity on the SATA bus... never seen this before on any PC I have built though.

It is HDD / SATA activity ... well, at least that's what LED is. an OS may be doing some "maintenance" on the filesystem while HDD is supposed to be idle. Does this "flashes every second" business go for 24 hours without you touching the computer?

@vitiello:

When I measured the inside with a tape measure, it was between 9.5 and 9.6 inches or around 240mm maximum for a video card. This is what I remember; I am at work right now but will double check when I get home. Also I would seriously consider another PSU and leaving the fan in the case, unless you plan on modding another fan in somewhere else. That is the only case fan. I don't think it would be a good idea to rely on the PSU to exhaust all the hot air out on its own. You also don't need anything close to 1000w for that set up.

Tks for reply =D

And i will wait for the measure.

In the meantime, check the thread, as I believe someone has done this already, with pictures of the tape measure even. I have not read this thread in a while but when I was planning my build I skimmed the entire thing and it was very informative.

In the meantime, check the thread, as I believe someone has done this already, with pictures of the tape measure even. I have not read this thread in a while but when I was planning my build I skimmed the entire thing and it was very informative.

In older posts i see a picture with a measure tape but the flash light camera disfocus a little the measure tape :(

MY little Q11A project :D

Components:
Lian Li PC-Q11A
ASRock Z68M/USB3
Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4GHz @ Corsair H60 modded @ 2 MagiCool 120mm radiators with Scythe Slipstream Slim 120mm 1200rpm (controlled by the Lian Li TR-5)
8GB GSkill RipjawX DDR3-1600
Zotac Geforce GTX 560 Ti AMP! @ Watercool Heatkiller GPU-X³ "Hole Edition"
Creative SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Seasonic X-560 semipassive
Western Digital 2TB HDD @ Scythe Himuro
Corsair F60 60GB SSD

As you can see its not finished yet. Im waiting for the second 120mm radiator because one of them was beveled. And im waiting for the last watercooling components ...

Btw .. the ASRock is nice Z68 board, and it barely fits with the front-usb (its the only Z68 chipset µATX board with only 24.4x21.8cm), had to modify the front usb slightly (remove some of the plastic to fit beside the ATX power connector).

MY little Q11A project :D

Components:
Lian Li PC-Q11A
ASRock Z68M/USB3
Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4GHz @ Corsair H60 modded @ 2 MagiCool 120mm radiators with Scythe Slipstream Slim 120mm 1200rpm (controlled by the Lian Li TR-5)
8GB GSkill RipjawX DDR3-1600
Zotac Geforce GTX 560 Ti AMP! @ Watercool Heatkiller GPU-X³ "Hole Edition"
Creative SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Seasonic X-560 semipassive
Western Digital 2TB HDD @ Scythe Himuro
Corsair F60 60GB SSD

As you can see its not finished yet. Im waiting for the second 120mm radiator because one of them was beveled. And im waiting for the last watercooling components ...

Btw .. the ASRock is nice Z68 board, and it barely fits with the front-usb (its the only Z68 chipset µATX board with only 24.4x21.8cm), had to modify the front usb slightly (remove some of the plastic to fit beside the ATX power connector).

that is impressive , now the question will be does this board have same problem as its mitx version and throttle when overclocked with full load.

thinks i have started a trend

Jen

i tried 4.3GHz .. seems to work .. but with 4.5GHz no boot .. but i didnt tried so much overclocking yet .. those 4GHz run with 1.21V .. its enough for me .. no stability problems so far :D

Btw .. sure that "throttling" you mention isnt fixable with a bios setting?
Because when i tried 4.3GHz i had the "problem" that the board is reducing single coreclocks under full load .. so never all 4 cores ran at 4.3GHz .. but that "problem" belongs to the "Turbo Boost Power Limit" option .. i think default was 115W under load .. but this wasnt enough .. so i increased to 125W and voila .. no more throttling ;)

Today some new connectors for the watercooling system arrived .. also the reservoir and the 2nd radiator came back from rma .. thats the actual progress:

Today some new connectors for the watercooling system arrived .. also the reservoir and the 2nd radiator came back from rma .. thats the actual progress:

That is damn impressive. Mod those cables on the PSU and you will have one damn sexy build. Looks amazing!

:p

Hi,

Whats a good motherboard and power supply for the pc-q11 case? I plan to use this mainly as a mini workstation with integrated graphics for now. However, I would like the ability upgrade it later with a discrete video card for gaming in the future.

I plan on using:

40 GB SSD for OS
300 GB Raptor for Data
i5-2500K CPU
8GB ram

Any info would be great!

Hi,

Whats a good motherboard and power supply for the pc-q11 case? I plan to use this mainly as a mini workstation with integrated graphics for now. However, I would like the ability upgrade it later with a discrete video card for gaming in the future.

I plan on using:

40 GB SSD for OS
300 GB Raptor for Data
i5-2500K CPU
8GB ram

Any info would be great!

If I were you, I'd use a slightly larger SSD for OS (60GB at least) and 1-2TB HDD for data -- faster data transfer than 300GB Raptor, but less heat (you probably don't need the better seek time Raptor offers on your data drive and you got SSD for OS)

Defintely get a bigger SSD drive, I recommend at least 80gb. Raptor technology is a bit dated, get a 256gb ssd if you can afford one or a 7200 RPM drive like the WD Black, you'll get more storage and the speed difference won't be that different.

Hi,

I plan on using:

40 GB SSD for OS
300 GB Raptor for Data
i5-2500K CPU
8GB ram

Any info would be great!

Personally I have the ASRock H67M-ITX and it's great. You should look for a board that provides good fan control, i.e. PWM control through the BIOS for both chassis fan and CPU fan. Don't expect too much heavy overclocking with a Z68 due to throttling issues reported on Zotac and ASRock boards, if you go that route. (You have a K chip so that's an option.) Also remember that onboard USB will not help you unless you buy the adapter from Lian Li, as its front USB ports are meant to be routed at the back of the case or hooked into onboard USB 2.0 with an included adapter.

For the PSU the Silverstone ST45SF SFX PSU should be plenty for you and let you upgrade to a mid-range video card in the future if you want. It's very small, just make sure you get the 2.0 version. (look for the big white sticker on pics of the PSU.)

Thanks for the tips. I put the raptor 300GB as I have a bunch of extra drives. I also have several 1 and 2 TB WD blacks but plan to use them for my main pc. This machine is mainly used as a workstation for training temp employees and as a remote box for application packaging.

I would like the option to play games on this at some point in the future. I've read the thread on here and seems like its best to stay away from the z68 mobo for now since there only 2 options that have outdated bios?

I'd prefer quiet and cool operation with decent HD and CPU performance. I'll up the specs on the SSD. I like the Crucial M4 64 GB drives as well.

So here is what I have so far. Anything you think I need to adjust?

1. PC-Q11 Already have
2. i5-2500K Already Have
3. CPU Cooler??? Any Good options rather than using the stock??
4. ASRock H67M-ITX Mobo or Intel BOXDH67CFB3 (I like intel Nics)
5. 8GB CORSAIR Vengeance
6. 64GB SSD (Crucial M4) and Raptor 300GB or 1TB WD Black
7. Silverstone ST45SF SFX PSU
8. Samsung DVD Burner

You think this is a good start for the build, i'm open to all suggestions.

Last edited:
On my set up using stock fans at lowest settings, I get a slightly audible wooshing sound but it is hard for me to adequately gauge how this will sound for you or what you consider quiet. If there is any other noise in the room, such as normal conversation, humidifier in the other room going, movie on the PC, etc. then it is inaudible. But, I wouldn't say it is anywhere near silent or whisper quiet, at least for me. Sitting across the room (maybe 10 feet away) with no other noise I can hear it.

Good low profile and quiet coolers I have seen work in this case are the AXP-140, the Scythe Shuriken B-3 and the Scythe Big Shuriken. Although you will need RAM without large heatsinks, I think the Corsair vengeance RAM has very tall heatsinks that will not clear low profile coolers.

Since you have the giant case fan sitting so close to the CPU cooler and chipsets on the mobo you might be able to get away with a fanless AXP-140 set up as some others seem to have done here. However, running two fans at very low settings might ultimately be quieter than running one fan at a higher setting to do all the work... and then you still have the PSU fan basically doing its own thing. I can't comment on the noise level of the st45.

I can use other ram as I have not purchased that yet. What low profile ram would you recommend?

Is there any advantage using the ASRock H67M-ITX over the Intel BOXDH67CFB3 or GIGABYTE GA-H67N-USB3-B3?

Is there a modular PSU alternative to the Silverstone ST45SF SFX PSU or is the Silverstone the PSU of choice for the pc-q11 sff build?

I am replacing a Dell 960 SFF that will be located in the opposite wall of my office and will not be powered on 24/7. Mainly used during office hours and for guest use. So mild noise is tolerable but silent is preferred.

Updated list

1. lian li pc-q11
2. i5-2500K
3. SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W
4. G.SKILL ECO 8GB (2 x 4GB)
5. ASRock H67M-ITX Mobo 94.99
6. Crucial M4 64GB SSD 109.99

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are no modular SFX PSUs with that kind of power. The Silverstone st50f-p is 500w and modular and 140mm, so it is a good size for this case with the extra power but you might not need it. It is reasonably quiet. (I have it in mine powering an MSI Cyclone PE 6850, more than enough for that.)

If you use an aftermarket low profile cooler like the AXP-140, you don't necessarily need low profile RAM, just RAM without large heatsinks.

There is also the Seasonic 400 fanless PSU. It is 400w and 150mm and modular. It would be a very tight fit but it will squeeze in there.

Regarding the mobos, it came down to price for me. Prices may have changed but I think the ASRock was the cheapest of the H67 itx line on Newegg with the features that I wanted. Also I was unsure of how much the Gigabyte allowed me to adjust fan speeds since its sys fan connector was only 3 pin. However those are both good boards. Check out this article.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I will stick with the "SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W" ... I will do some research on the motherboard options as they all seem pretty similar. 'll post some pics once I get all the equipment in and start the build.

For a gaming a video card/HTPC any decent low heat video cards recomendations for some that offer decent 3d 23.976 FPS output and good gaming?

I saw a build that used a Nvidia Gigabyte GT 520 OC edition card that looked ok. But I am sure there are some better options.

Thanks again!

illram said:
Unfortunately there are no modular SFX PSUs with that kind of power. The Silverstone st50f-p is 500w and modular and 140mm, so it is a good size for this case with the extra power but you might not need it. It is reasonably quiet. (I have it in mine powering an MSI Cyclone PE 6850, more than enough for that.)

If you use an aftermarket low profile cooler like the AXP-140, you don't necessarily need low profile RAM, just RAM without large heatsinks.

There is also the Seasonic 400 fanless PSU. It is 400w and 150mm and modular. It would be a very tight fit but it will squeeze in there.

Regarding the mobos, it came down to price for me. Prices may have changed but I think the ASRock was the cheapest of the H67 itx line on Newegg with the features that I wanted. Also I was unsure of how much the Gigabyte allowed me to adjust fan speeds since its sys fan connector was only 3 pin. However those are both good boards. Check out this article.

Here is a picture of my bottom.

pc-q11b_bottom.jpg

I positioned the 120mm fan in line with the center of the GPU. This made sense when I planned to use the original heatsink ducted without the stock fan. The stock heatsink isn't good enough for that. So the position probably doesn't matter much for this situation.

The fan speed is controlled by the video card thanks to a PWM splitter cable. I was considering 140mm but right now I like the choice of available 120mm PWM fans (especially from my own collection).

The case feet are 0.88" tall Philmore part # 10-647. I found them at Fry's Electronics. I am going to add a small bit of rubber to the bottom of them so the case won't fly off my glass desk.

The 120mm hole was was cut with a nibbler hand tool. I used a template from http://www.mnpctech.com/ printed on self-adhesive paper. The case was covered in blue painter's tape during all work to prevent scratches. Both sides of the hole should be masked, as the nibbler can scratch. After cutting the hole, I sanded the edge with sandpaper wrapped around a hole-saw drill attachment. I used double-sided carpet tape to hold the sandpaper to the attachment. 80 grit followed by 400 grit. It is important to hold the case secure and still during sanding to prevent slipping.

I am very pleased with the results. My ASRock H67M-ITX used to throttle my i7-2600K CPU if the temperature of some mystery motherboard sensor is unhappy. This mod prevents that from happening during a full Prime95 + FurMark load.

Noise is improved. Since the temperature is lower, the small GPU fan doesn't have to work as hard.

Temperatures depend on what your goal is. I prefer lower noise, so my temperature improvements are not huge. Also I haven't upgraded my GPU heatsink yet. I'm getting an 8 degree Celsius improvement during FurMark.

I have an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev. 2 arriving soon. Based on my video card measurements, it should fit the case. I'll see what I can do with one fan again.

UPDATE: GPU cooler arrived

I have installed the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev. 2 on my MSI R6850 Cyclone PE video card. There is only a few millimeters of space between it and the front of the case. Incredibly perfect fit. Figuring out how to angle the card to get it into the case took me a few minutes, LOL. I decided not to use the clear plastic spacers that came with the Accelero S1 - they seemed a little tall.

Now the only fan cooling the video card is the bottom-mounted 120mm fan. It is plugged into the video card's fan header, thanks to an adapter cable. I've got FurMark running and the fan doesn't even need to go beyond 1000 RPM (64%) with temperature in the low 70's Celsius.

Where is your ssd and is it obligatory to use taller stands?
I have problem with too noisy palit gtx 560 and i want to make hole at the bottom and use Arctic F12PWM fan, but i don't know where to put hdd :(

I have problem with too noisy palit gtx 560 and i want to make hole at the bottom and use Arctic F12PWM fan, but i don't know where to put hdd :(
SSD can be velcro'ed to the bottom of the 5.25" bay (hanging).

IIRC he had a Lian Li 5.25 bay converter that fits a slim optical and SSD drive where a normal optical drive should go. I think. He had his own thread on that build somewhere around here. Either way Lian li sells those and a few different folks in this thread have put their SSD up there and used that bottom area for other stuff.

SSD can be velcro'ed to the bottom of the 5.25" bay (hanging).

there is also room above the optical drive to have a ssd fit it just will fit loose up there but will do fine. i have three laptop drives above my optical drive in my lian li pcq07

Jen

IIRC he had a Lian Li 5.25 bay converter that fits a slim optical and SSD drive where a normal optical drive should go. I think. He had his own thread on that build somewhere around here. Either way Lian li sells those and a few different folks in this thread have put their SSD up there and used that bottom area for other stuff.

Lian-LI EX-553

The SSD is above the optical drive. The optical drive is a regular size drive.

The taller stands give the fan more breathing room. The stock stands are very low profile. You can experiment and see what your temperatures/fan speeds/noise are like with the stock stands, then lift the case up on something and check again.

Thank's for answers. Now i have old 3,5" 320 gigs WD drive but today i've bought 500 gigs 2,5" drive so i try to put it above dvd. I hope that additional fan on the bottom will help the original GPU fan and graphics card won't be too noisy.

Back