New Lian Li PC- Q11 itx case : Specification & Feature

Hey guys. New to the boards, but I'm just about to order a new system and I've fallen in love with the challenge of a SFF configuration. You all seem to know what you're talking about, so I wanted to run the setup by you to see if I'm on track with space/heat/power specifications in this case. I've seen very similar builds, but I don't think I've seen anyone try quite as much as I'm trying to cram into this cute little box.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3
CPU: Intel Core i7-875K
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460
Cooling: Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B
PSU: SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX (with shortened cable kit)
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
HD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 64mb cache
Case: LIAN LI PC-Q11B Black (of course)

I'm almost sure everything fits, including the cooler. Comes in at a steep $1,200 on newegg, but I think this little guy should last me for some time. Just wanting to double check with you fine folks to make sure I'm not over-doing the heat/power limitations of the case. Is 500W enough? I went on the recommendation of someone on these boards for the PSU, and some PSU calculators put me in different ranges than others. With overclocking the CPU at a reasonable level, however, will the power be sufficient? And will the cooling unit be enough?

If I were a halfway reasonable consumer, I'd just buy a big box and not have to worry about these limitations. But... I'm not! I love the look of this case and I'm drawn to the challenge of packing it with as much power as possible.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks, guys!

Hey guys. New to the boards, but I'm just about to order a new system and I've fallen in love with the challenge of a SFF configuration. You all seem to know what you're talking about, so I wanted to run the setup by you to see if I'm on track with space/heat/power specifications in this case. I've seen very similar builds, but I don't think I've seen anyone try quite as much as I'm trying to cram into this cute little box.

I'm almost sure everything fits, including the cooler. Comes in at a steep $1,200 on newegg, but I think this little guy should last me for some time. Just wanting to double check with you fine folks to make sure I'm not over-doing the heat/power limitations of the case. Is 500W enough? I went on the recommendation of someone on these boards for the PSU, and some PSU calculators put me in different ranges than others. With overclocking the CPU at a reasonable level, however, will the power be sufficient? And will the cooling unit be enough?

If I were a halfway reasonable consumer, I'd just buy a big box and not have to worry about these limitations. But... I'm not! I love the look of this case and I'm drawn to the challenge of packing it with as much power as possible.

I would say 500W is sufficient enough for your configuration and the HSF should definitely fit as my Big Shuriken does and yours is smaller which also allows you to use the PCI-E slot. As for heat wise, I think you should be fine. PSU-wise, it may be a little cramped and could potentially block front airflow. I know bigger PSUs like the Corsair AX850 and Seasonic X650 look kind of ridiculous in the case.

ok 1 Major issue is the Hard drive.. The drive you listed is great if using it for just storage, But not what I would want to run my OS off of. You would want atleast a good quality 7200 RPM drive for your OS if you cant swing an SSD..

ok 1 Major issue is the Hard drive.. The drive you listed is great if using it for just storage, But not what I would want to run my OS off of. You would want atleast a good quality 7200 RPM drive for your OS if you cant swing an SSD..

Oh yeah I forgot to comment on the hard drive. Agreed with what he said.

ok.. I just added your build to cart at newegg & noticed another couple of things..

1st I would under no circumstances spend 330 bucks for that CPU.. Unless your anticipating some massive overclocks which would tax the rest of the build beyond what I would try for its definitelynot worth that kind of coin.. Anyhow I would swap for the following..

240 Intel Xeon X3440 Lynnfield 2.53GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core
80 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Promo Code SAMSUNG222
43 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM

That CPU is basically an 1156 i7 including hyperthreading, just clocked a little slower & a lot cheaper. I have also seen numerous reports of 4Ghz overclocks with it. For the hard drives the samsung 320gb for your OS & the other for storage..

Also if you have the budget for it drop the OS drive there & go for a SSD..

And is it a hard 1200 dollar budget or is that just where youwere trying to stay. & have you considered an AMD build?

Thanks for the tips! The HD was a good catch -- I thought it was a 7200.

$1,200 isn't really a hard number, but I'm trying to avoid going much higher, so a SSD might be out of budget. I've read that having the OS on a small SSD and most other files on a HDD significantly increases load performance, so it's something I'm considering. Any opinions on what size SSD would suffice? This case allows for quite a lot of HD space, luckily, so I might expand in the near future.

I considered an AMD setup, but I was really impressed with the reviews about the Gigabyte mini board. It does just about everything I was looking for (except triple-channel RAM). I am thinking about that Xeon chip, though. Part of me feels like I can stomach the ~$150 for the i7-875. Maybe the performance doesn't justify the price. I'll have to do a little more reading.

You guys rock! I'm really excited about this build. Looking to order parts soon.

Honestly for best performance for the same cost I would change to a Phenom II x4 in the Asus m4a88t-i motherboard.. I dont know of anything the gigabyte you mentioned does that the asus doesn't. Also more options for coolers on the asus. But the change in cost would open up budget enough for sure for a good sized SSD..

As far as what size SSD you can install OS & major apps to a 30gb ssd & all other apps to the 2nd drive.. The larger the SSD of course the more apps you can get on it..

Myself I had a pair of 80gb ssd's in raid 0 for months & was only using about 60gb of it with everything installed to it. Just storing all large files elsewhere (in my case it was my server)..

For 1167 it can be done with the asus board a Phenom II x4 925 & 8gb ram with a 120gb SSD instead of the parts spec'd above

Edit: you may also consider a 6850 instead of the 460 since its better performance & the same price as what you ahve spec'd (also just be sure to get a 8.5" pcb model)

Last edited:
pc-q11b%20inside.png

I replaced Enermax fan with a Noiseblocker fan. I'm going to try working on cable management again some other time. I need longer sata cables to route them better and left angle sata cables would probably be better for the 3.5" hard drives. I was also too lazy to flip the PSU around. I decided against putting cables in the 5.25" bay so I re-routed the front panel cables, front audio cable, and front fan cable behind the 5.25" bay. The Noiseblocker fan comes with either a 200mm or 500mm fan cable; the 200mm was more than sufficient.

This case should even fit a Radeon 6870 (245mm) if not for the stupid place of the USB port connector on the front. If they placed that 1 or 2 cm's higher there was no problem!

This case should even fit a Radeon 6870 (245mm) if not for the stupid place of the USB port connector on the front. If they placed that 1 or 2 cm's higher there was no problem!

I thought the USB connector was off to the side so that it wouldn't be in the way of a video card.. Otherwise they could have left them across the front like the q07

I thought the USB connector was off to the side so that it wouldn't be in the way of a video card.. Otherwise they could have left them across the front like the q07

Here are 2 images where you can see the connection on the front:

Pic1 - Pic2

Could be the graphics card free bottem space is higher, but to me it looks like it is the problem why a 6870 will not fit.

Here are 2 images where you can see the connection on the front:

Pic1 - Pic2

Could be the graphics card free bottem space is higher, but to me it looks like it is the problem why a 6870 will not fit.

I think the problem why a 6870 wont fit is because its to long to fit in the case.. I am not positive as I dont have the case yet, but I believe that the graphics card can go all the way to the case & never touch the USB because the USB is close to that edge where there is a gap beloe the motherboard & then the PCIe header so the video card wont be over ont hat last 1" to 1 1/4"

Check this out. It has some great pics including one that shows the motherboard & the usb header.. I am fairly sure that the video card would pass right by it.. That being said he is using an XFX 6850 in that build which I believe is 9.5" long (230ish mm) and still has room to spare.. So I could be wrong since its only supposed to be able to hold a 230mm card.

Interesting. I also liked the minix board. Just wish it wasnt so damn expensive. $199 for it vs the Asus at $124. Cant wait to see yours when done.

I read the rest of his thread and me is cooling it like a Q07-he removed the fan. He didnt give any temps but said it was only little warmer than his SG01.

The case itself is 260mm if I'm correct, minus say 4mm for the aluminum. That should leave 256mm of space between front and back.

6870 specs are around 246mm, it has the connectors on top of the card, so why should it not fit?

See youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mazv1EJQiuo

And from a review with full specs here

Standard Graphics Card Dimensions:

Height: 115 mm
Length: 245 mm
Width: 35 mm (Dual-slot)

:rolleyes:

Check this out. It has some great pics including one that shows the motherboard & the usb header.. I am fairly sure that the video card would pass right by it.. That being said he is using an XFX 6850 in that build which I believe is 9.5" long (230ish mm) and still has room to spare.. So I could be wrong since its only supposed to be able to hold a 230mm card.

I believe the XFX 6850 is the shortest 6850 out there now. And I am not disputing the 230mm number but from the pix I have seen (Anandtech) that number might include the bracket itself. So PCB+shroud could be even shorter.

TBH I havent had the slightest inkling to even check the 6870 length.. If this case will infact hold a longer video card then It kinda makes me wonder why nobody who has this case hasn't posted the discrepancy from the 230mm that the box shows.. The difference from about 220mm to 250mm might as well be a mile in terms of video cards..

@NichoTL I Don't think the XFX 6850 is any shorter then the rest (at least not the PCB, because at least in the case of the Gigabyte the cooler hangs off the end).

The best thing I have learned here though is that most likely the Cooler on my Gigabyte 6850 wont have to be replaced due to the extra length that is apparently in the Q11.

I don't know this is all pretty confusing: Anandtech, in their overclocking review, mention a PCB shorter than reference at 8.5". Which is 216mm and the cooler doesn't overhang. Just to put into perspective the pix you were linking to a few posts up.
I must say that it is a real pain to get the real picture about gfx cards length, as some people measure just the PCB, some PCB+cooler, and some the whole card, including the bracket. Of course to us PCB+cooler is the most relevant, but at the same time forgetting the bracket might cause problems when fitting the card in tight spaces (the Giga 6850, for example, has room to spare in the SG05, but at the same time is a pain to fit in).

ok if the xfx PCB is 8.5" then its about the same length as the giga & the saph as there both listed at 8.5" in the review I linked (on page 10). But as a owner of the giga its nive to see some extra room as I was worried about having to go to an aftermarket cooler when the stock cooler is dead silent at idle (turned down of course)

Here is my Q11.
o5e4ya.jpg

Have a 650w PSU and a H50 for cooling. The Gfx should be a Gainward 460 but I farked up and managed to kill it (but it fits nicely).

Im thinking of going with the Gigabyte 460 now and change the H50 stock fan to a Scythe slim fan.

Here is my Q11.
o5e4ya.jpg

Have a 650w PSU and a H50 for cooling. The Gfx should be a Gainward 460 but I farked up and managed to kill it (but it fits nicely).

Im thinking of going with the Gigabyte 460 now and change the H50 stock fan to a Scythe slim fan.

Nice placement for the h50.. Where is your hard drive now?

ahh. I had thought about doing that, but since I am ssd only I figure if I remove the HDD rack I can just use some double stick velcro tape & attach it to the case wall..

Interesting placement for the fan. Does it pull enough air with the short case feet? I would think the 10mm clearance would restrict the airflow.

I have not tried running any games and stuff on it as I killed my gfx. I have OC the 760 to 3.2 and temp is around 30 C idle.

Did anyone run a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB in the Q11? If so can you post some pics.

I have not tried running any games and stuff on it as I killed my gfx. I have OC the 760 to 3.2 and temp is around 30 C idle.

I thought about doing something similar only just with air, but figured out that a 92mm fan had more a lot more surface area than the space between the case and desk. I figured 3/4" feet would have to be installed to allow enough airflow.

OC to 3.5 today and did a Intelburntest, Only got up to 60C so I think the airflow is sufficient.

I think I'm going to do a build with this case. Do all of these parts work?

M4A88T-I
G.SKILL 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model F3-10600CL9S-4GBSQ
Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX

Last edited:

M4A88T-I
G.SKILL 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model F3-10600CL9S-4GBSQ

Yes it should fit.

M4A88T-I

yes it should all fit, But if you dont already have that PSU then I wouldnt get it.. Corsair is great about being generous with cable lengths & in an ITX that works against you (last one I did with a hx520 I needed 8" of cable, but instead got 30ish inches so it was a pain trying to get shit hid away).. Also I am not sure what the overall heigth of the Shuriken is, but I would get the Big Shuriken since I know its short enough & it will give my space between the PSU & HSF so it should mean better airflow.

yes it should all fit, But if you dont already have that PSU then I wouldnt get it.. Corsair is great about being generous with cable lengths & in an ITX that works against you (last one I did with a hx520 I needed 8" of cable, but instead got 30ish inches so it was a pain trying to get shit hid away).. Also I am not sure what the overall heigth of the Shuriken is, but I would get the Big Shuriken since I know its short enough & it will give my space between the PSU & HSF so it should mean better airflow.
Yeah, it's only because I already have that PSU. I guess I'll do my best to tie them.

I thought I read in this thread somewhere that the Big Shuriken blocks the graphics card slot.

Yeah, it's only because I already have that PSU. I guess I'll do my best to tie them.

I thought I read in this thread somewhere that the Big Shuriken blocks the graphics card slot.

Blocks it on H55/H57 boards. Not sure but I don´t think it does on the Asus 880.

It does not block it on the m4a88t-i.. Int he thread for that board I linked a blog that had images, but last I checked that blog was offline.

Edit: This will clear up any doubt about the Big Shuriken fitting. Looks like the board & cooler were made for each other. Infact that blog was what changed my mind about trying to fit an h50 with a 140 to 120mm fan adapter up front (moving the psu back with the lian li psu extender of course)

Back