New Lian Li PC- Q11 itx case : Specification & Feature

True, true. But the ability to run a bigger GPU is nice....and HDDs. Although smallest possible is also very compelling

Built my first none standard atx pc in this case and I've got to say I'm loving it (will post a picture soon).

The only problem I am having is with regards to expansion, similar to that what someone else mentioned about the Q08

See below....

Has anyone else noticed that the PC-Q08 doesn't have those "slots" on the bottom of the PCI bracket holes that the ends of the PCI cards are supposed to slip into so they stay in place?

(Slots circled in red)
wspcislots.jpg

My problem with this is that my video card only takes up one slot. In my other slot is one of these 4-port USB bracket things:
ux_a08120500ux0015_ux_c.jpg

When I try plugging anything into those USB ports, the whole bracket pushes in since it's only secured at the top where that lip is that the bracket rests on and is attached to with one screw. Same thing happens with my video card when I try plugging my monitors into it.

I can't find a way around this - what were Lian Li thinking :confused:

Built my first none standard atx pc in this case and I've got to say I'm loving it (will post a picture soon).

The only problem I am having is with regards to expansion, similar to that what someone else mentioned about the Q08

See below....

I can't find a way around this - what were Lian Li thinking :confused:

maybe bend the bracket a little bit , i did that on a powercolor 5770 for my pcq7 which did just fine

Jen

This case comes with adapters to connect front USB 3.0 ports to motherboard internal connectors? When there are motherboards with internal USB 3.0 connectors does these adapters work at full speed?

This case comes with adapters to connect front USB 3.0 ports to motherboard internal connectors? When there are motherboards with internal USB 3.0 connectors does these adapters work at full speed?

The adapter that it comes with is only for USB 2.0, because USB 3.0 has more pins.

Guys I'm stuck at the moment. Which case should I get? Q08 or Q11? I'm looking to put in a Core i5 750 with the Gigabyte ITX board, 4GB of RAM and possibly either a 5770 or GTX 460. I do plan to do a bit of overclocking on the CPU, but go passive cooling with either the 5770 and GTX 460 with an aftermarket cooler. I don't game much and if I do, it's only going to be CS at 2560x1600. Do you guys think the Q11 is good enough for this?

Both of those cards are overkill for CS, even at 2560x1600. If you want to go passive, I'd suggest an even lower-powered card, just in case. Gigabyte makes a stock passively cooled 5750 that might fit, but even that is more than you need for your stated use.

In no situation would I try to passively cool a 460 in an ITX case, though - actually, bar some ATX cases with 4+ case fans, I probably wouldn't ever try passively cooling it for even light gaming :p

yea I wouldnt go passive either way. But with a stock cooler (and you can get quiet stock coolers) you would be fine either way. Infact if you get a 460 & decide its too loud I have a MSI hawk 5770 thats almost dead silent that I would trade you.

Both of those cards are overkill for CS, even at 2560x1600. If you want to go passive, I'd suggest an even lower-powered card, just in case. Gigabyte makes a stock passively cooled 5750 that might fit, but even that is more than you need for your stated use.

In no situation would I try to passively cool a 460 in an ITX case, though - actually, bar some ATX cases with 4+ case fans, I probably wouldn't ever try passively cooling it for even light gaming :p

Well even then, which case is better for my need? The Q08 or Q11? Which case can handle wider videocards better? I think the Q11 is taller right?

I'm not fully sure on the video card thing as far as Q08 goes. But basically the Q08 is overall larger because it can fit a lot of hard drives, which is its main attraction for those with several drives.

If someone has a 4850 reference card laying around would you be so kind as to actually test fit the card in the case & see if it fits & if the PCIE Conenctors fit still.

Is there any kind soul who can tell me the maximum allowable heat sink height for this case ? I wanna know if my Cooler Master Geminii S can fit :)

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how much heatsink I can fit in this thing as well.

I just built one last night, (Intel i3-540 + Gigabyte H55N-USB3) but the stock Intel HSF is crappy & loud. Hoping I can fit a Gemini II S or similar low-profile HSF but haven't dissected the thing yet to do the measurements.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how much heatsink I can fit in this thing as well.

I just built one last night, (Intel i3-540 + Gigabyte H55N-USB3) but the stock Intel HSF is crappy & loud. Hoping I can fit a Gemini II S or similar low-profile HSF but haven't dissected the thing yet to do the measurements.

Using a Samuel 17 in my Q07

Yup, using Scythe Kama PWM 120mm. The good thing about the heatsink is the exposed overhang, I have the exposed portion over NB heatsink. My Zotac 9300 is notorious for having a hot north bridge and it never gets above 59 degrees with the the new setup.

Thought I'd contribute to the thread. Haven't seen many PC-Q11 builds yet, here's mine.

CPU - Intel Dual Core E5500 2,8GHz + Thermalright AXP-140
RAM - Corsair 3gb 800mhz ram
MB - Zotac 9300itx
PSU - Fractal Design SFX 300w PSU
HDD - Samsung 250gb 5400rpm
HDD - Samsung F1 500gb 7200rpm
HDD - Samsung F1 500gb 7200 rpm
SSD - Corsair X-32 SSD
GPU - XFX HD4550 512mb passive
CSE - Lian Li PC-Q11B

img0587triocopy1000.jpg

img0578copy.jpg

img0579copy.jpg

img0580copy.jpg

img0585copy.jpg

Thought I'd contribute to the thread. Haven't seen many PC-Q11 builds yet, here's mine.

MB - Zotac 9300itx
SSD - Corsair X-32 SSD
CSE - Lian Li PC-Q11B

img0587triocopy1000.jpg

img0578copy.jpg

img0579copy.jpg

img0580copy.jpg

img0585copy.jpg
Very clean build there.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

MB - Zotac 9300itx
SSD - Corsair X-32 SSD
CSE - Lian Li PC-Q11B

I forgot to ask in my previous post but how is the cooling in this case? A part of me wishes I waited for this over the PC-Q08. Although I doubt I would have been able to fit a Big Shuriken with a 25mm fan and X-650.

That's one of the cleanest SFF builds i've seen in a long time.
Damn that looks downright sexy.
Very clean build there.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
Thanks guys!

I forgot to ask in my previous post but how is the cooling in this case? A part of me wishes I waited for this over the PC-Q08. Although I doubt I would have been able to fit a Big Shuriken with a 25mm fan and X-650.
I have no idea about the cooling, I havn't tested the build much yet.
Will break it down soon, squeezing a GTS 450 with a Thermaltake T-Rad 2 in it next week, also have to solder on a 6pin PCI-E connector.

I doubt that it would fit, IIRC it's 90mm from the motherboard to the standard ATX PSU.

I doubt that it would fit, IIRC it's 90mm from the motherboard to the standard ATX PSU.

Hmm but I bet it would fit with the ST45SF no?

ST45SF is 4.92" x 2.5" x 3.94" while the X650 is 6.3" x 5.9" x 3.4".

Hmm but I bet it would fit with the ST45SF no?

ST45SF is 4.92" x 2.5" x 3.94" while the X650 is 6.3" x 5.9" x 3.4".
Using a SFX PSU gives you 100mm of space between the motherboard and the PSU itself.

The Big Shuriken is 58mm tall (don't know if it's with fan included) and then you have 25mm for the fan, so it would probably work with a ATX PSU, but I would go for SFX.

Using a SFX PSU gives you 100mm of space between the motherboard and the PSU itself.

The Big Shuriken is 58mm tall (don't know if it's with fan included) and then you have 25mm for the fan, so it would probably work with a ATX PSU, but I would go for SFX.

Yah, I saw a review of the case with the X650 as the PSU. It was really cramped. Oh here it is from bit-tech. The X650 is definitely way more than I need. All I have is a SSD and 3 HD. It was a holdover from a previous build with a 5850. Although I do wish that the ST45SF is modular as I have no need for the PCI-E connectors.

lian-li-q11-15.jpg

Last edited:
Very large picture coming up, but on the 1000px you couldn't see much.

Anyways, I managed to get a GTS 450 with a Thermalright T-Rad 2 to fit.
img0645copy.jpg

Last edited:

if I remember correctly the big shuriken is 58mm tall including the 12mm slipstream fan.. I had one in a Lian Li PC-Q07 so it would have NO issues at all in this case. Only problem with it may be that the CPU placement can screw you as if its too close to the top the BS may hit the Optical bay & too low it will keep you from getting a PCIe Video card in.. I know its a no go with the 1156 itx boards, but I have yet to try one on my Asus AMD 880 itx board I have now.

Also there is no real reason to go SFX other then HSF clearance.. & with the BS thats not an issue with an ATX PSU so I would get a silverstone strider modular & the oo05 short cable kit.. Unless of course your going to mod & shorten the sfx cables.

Last edited:
if I remember correctly the big shuriken is 58mm tall including the 12mm slipstream fan.. I had one in a Lian Li PC-Q07 so it would have NO issues at all in this case. Only problem with it may be that the CPU placement can screw you as if its too close to the top the BS may hit the Optical bay & too low it will keep you from getting a PCIe Video card in.. I know its a no go with the 1156 itx boards, but I have yet to try one on my Asus AMD 880 itx board I have now.

Also there is no real reason to go SFX other then HSF clearance.. & with the BS thats not an issue with an ATX PSU so I would get a silverstone strider modular & the oo05 short cable kit.. Unless of course your going to mod & shorten the sfx cables.

I don't utilize a video card so the latter concern isn't a problem. That's interesting to note about the first concern though. Well it isn't about the HSF clearance, it's just about the extra room the ATX PSU takes up over a SFX PSU but of course I would lose the modular aspects.

I don't utilize a video card so the latter concern isn't a problem. That's interesting to note about the first concern though. Well it isn't about the HSF clearance, it's just about the extra room the ATX PSU takes up over a SFX PSU but of course I would lose the modular aspects.

Yea.. & I believe that the 450 sfx leads are as long if not longer then the pp05 leads so what you gain in space from the smaller unit you loose in cable neatness..

Yea.. & I believe that the 450 sfx leads are as long if not longer then the pp05 leads so what you gain in space from the smaller unit you loose in cable neatness..

Yeah ugh if only there was a GOOD modular SFX PSU. ><

Not really a good solution for everybody, but I usually trim down my cables by soldering them, and then cut of excess cabling. I'm usually left with one of each;

ATX 24
ATX 4/8
PCI-E 6 pin (you can make Y-splitters pretty easy later on if you need, and got a good single rail PSU like SS 450w)
Molex (then make all the adapters you want for that single molex)

Yeah ugh if only there was a GOOD modular SFX PSU. ><

Definitly would add a good twist to things.. But in all honesty there is another advantage of having the ATX PSU.. There is such limited airflow in here that the PSU can be used to suck heat from the case & exhaust it. Well the SFX is obviously not going to move as much air with as low of sound output due to having a smaller fan.
I know in my old q07 I contributed it staying cool to the PSU since that was the only intake or exhaust fan.. Probably not as important here, but still has to play some part.

I Still think that the Lian Li PSU extender with a full atx PSU here is the way to go.. I wont find out 1st hand though for another couple months though since my wife wont me buy any new stuff for my rig till after xmas.

Finally got everything into place, not a very big case once you start filling all the slots.

30122920.jpg

Can you just remove the bottom hard drive tray and mount a 2.5" and 3.5" right to the bottom of the case? I know it has screw holes for a 2.5", but could you just rig up something to mount them to the bottom to provide some additional clearance between the video card and HDD/SSD's?

Bill

Can you just remove the bottom hard drive tray and mount a 2.5" and 3.5" right to the bottom of the case? I know it has screw holes for a 2.5", but could you just rig up something to mount them to the bottom to provide some additional clearance between the video card and HDD/SSD's?

Bill
There are two issues, hight and width.

The height issue you can solve by adding motherboard stand-offs to the HDD tray.
The width you have to solve by cutting in the tray, as you can see in some pictures, there are wings on the 2,5" side that limits you to a smaller HDD.
If you can cut those off, there should be no problem at all.

There are two issues, hight and width.

The height issue you can solve by adding motherboard stand-offs to the HDD tray.
The width you have to solve by cutting in the tray, as you can see in some pictures, there are wings on the 2,5" side that limits you to a smaller HDD.
If you can cut those off, there should be no problem at all.

Are you saying that if you remove the HDD tray that there are ridges on the bottom of the case? It seems you could just totally remove the hard drive tray completely and drill four holes in the bottom and secure a 2.5" on one side and 3.5" on the other side of the bottom and use rubber vibration damping washers (like used in the Antec Solo) and screw them in from the bottom of the case.

Does anyone have a picture of the interior of the case with the HDD tray removed so I can see what the bottom of the case looks like?

It also seems that the front fan should be lower on the inside face of the case to better blow air past the PSU when installed. You could rig a 120mm just above the point where the hard drives sit and blow over the video card and HDD/SSD's then. Could be done similar to the blow holes in the top of the PC-A05B mod's but just on the front with a grill over it or just use black fan screws and countersink them.

Bill

Back