New Killzone Requires 7.5GB Download Before Play

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy moly, a 7.5GB initial download before you can even start playing the game? I hope your broadband connection is speedy. :eek:

In reality, PlayGo won't be as immediate as many had imagined. For example, Shadow Fall will still require a 7.5GB initial download before it can be played. Guerrilla Games confirmed the figure to Eurogamer, who saw the game at a recent event in Amsterdam. The initial 7.5GB will be enough to play the first level, while the second level continues downloading in the background.

better hope you have a big cap

Wow! :eek: The gameplay and graphics had better be top-notch to justify the download size.

The PlayStation network is so slow already it will take a weeks for everyone to download those files and slow everything down even more :)

I didn't read TFA so my guess would be that people are going to download 7.5 GB because there is no install disk. Or it's empty. Or filled with bullshit.

better hope you have a big cap

Some ISPs used to have caps about 10 years ago when the last one gave up on that stupid idea. It's a bit silly that the Internet thing sort of started in the US not that long ago, and now a lot of you folks are fucked with caps.

Also so much for keeping the status quo of physical media that all the Sony fanboys have been grilling MS about these last months. It's all going digital download.

Sony wants the death of physical media and piracy even more than MS. MS does not own movie and music studios duuuu..

I didn't read TFA so my guess would be that people are going to download 7.5 GB because there is no install disk. Or it's empty. Or filled with bullshit.

Some ISPs used to have caps about 10 years ago when the last one gave up on that stupid idea. It's a bit silly that the Internet thing sort of started in the US not that long ago, and now a lot of you folks are fucked with caps.

comcast is 300gb unless you get the really expensive plans and AT&T is insanely low like 100gb? my only two choices

Not sure I am tracking here (at work)

This sounds like you have to download 7.5GB before playing the games first level after buying from the PSN Store.

By everyones reaction I am assuming most are going with a 7.5GB day one patch for everyone including those that have the physical copy?

Zarathustra[H];1040313292 said:
How is this significantly different from most Steam games?

I think they believe it is a day one patch in which case they could be somewhat angered.

no download cap from Steam, Sony is slow as hell.

Also, Steam lets you pre-download pre-ordered games days before it's released.

Because console potatoes don't want to have to plan. It's all about lazy instant gratification.

(Instant flame)

Wow! :eek: The gameplay and graphics had better be top-notch to justify the download size.

Check out the latest gameplay videos from last week or so.

The graphics are insane, possibly only BF4 on PC rivals it at the moment.

no download cap from Steam, Sony is slow as hell.

No doubt, Sony had better have been investing in a significant backend for PS4. Hopefully with PSN+ they get the revenue they need to make it competitive to the Live experience.

Shadow Fall will still require a 7.5GB initial download before it can be played when purchased digitally.

For those that didn't or can't read the article.

Not sure I am tracking here (at work)

This sounds like you have to download 7.5GB before playing the games first level after buying from the PSN Store.

By everyones reaction I am assuming most are going with a 7.5GB day one patch for everyone including those that have the physical copy?

And then, there's another (possibly larger) download while you play the first level.

That's a pretty massive patch... about on par to that Forza garbage.

And then, there's another (possibly larger) download while you play the first level.

That's a pretty massive patch... about on par to that Forza garbage.

Read the post above, this is part of the Buy Digital Play Now stuff. You buy the game online through the PSN store and you can play it after 7.5GB has downloaded as opposed to all 50GB.

iirc the Forza download is an actual patch for the retail copy.

I was planning to go digital only this gen but I think I'll probably buy the first round of games using physical media (KI being the one exception) until they get the launch issues worked out. I know both companies networks are going to get crushed between the digital downloads and day one patches.

Lol steve and his bait headlines..

So many people failed utterly at reading the part about this applying to the DIGITAL Download. Buy the disc and it is business as usual. This is business as usual for DD and honestly isn't even news worthy.

You've Been HAD! :D

I didn't think it was bad. Last of Us is 26GB on PS3.

Keep in mind many PS3 titles are huge because duplicating data on the disc made it faster to load from the slow Blu-ray drive. I doubt that's a problem with the PS4 Blu-ray drive.

Think about this for a sec. Assuming they use compression at least as good as an install DVD, you're talking a total of 8 DVDs worth of data. Half the cost of the game must be just to cover their bandwidth bill.

Sounds like they need to give my buddy a call to fix that 7+GB thing...

distream, enough said.

That's installing the data that is already provided to on the disk. This is to download 7.5 gigs over the internet.

If you want to download it from the internet instead of buy it physically.

"But I think all things considered, this being launch and we've got like 2 minutes 44 from disc to the first level and no installs,

See, 2 minutes 44 seconds from inserting disc to playing game, no download or install required if you buy the disc version.

The PlayStation network is so slow already it will take a weeks for everyone to download those files and slow everything down even more :)

I was going to say this. PSN is freaking SLOW. Xbox Live is 10x faster. And then when you download your 7.5 gb game, you get to watch your system go through an install process that takes an hour... and when it's done THEN it gets to download patches and install them.

It is now to the point where if I want to download a full size game (like a PSN freebie, for example) I just fire it up and go to bed and hope it's done by the morning. Reminds me of the modem/BBS days.

Digital download of big games on PS3 sucks. I hope this improves on PS4.

And yeah I have FIOS so it's not "my" problem, lol.

I guess the whole "always connected" internet argument is moot because you will leave the PS4 on constantly to download content.
Every time I turn on the PS3 it seems I am waiting for crap to download.

Back