New ipod touch...almost a PDA?

No, it is about Apple being a business and wanting to make money.
If they just threw out all of there cards they could sell millions of devices, but what next? Instead lets put out X number of features in this device and slowly integrate new ones, thus making people upgrade, but not forcing them to. This generates higher numbers of "total" number sold, higher profits because people are buying multiple of really the same item with slightly newer features.

While I agree to an extent, Apple's philosophy has really become Aesthetics over Function. I mean, take a look at the macbook pros, they sacrifice cooler operating temperatures and larger battery capacities for about 3-5 mm. The 1 button mice sacrificed usability for aesthetic or simplistic value. Mac mini without a dedicated grapics chip. The use of adhesives rather than plastic clips or metal locks in recent ipods which prevent the ease of component replacement, although this probably helps generate sales.

If what you said was totally true then why do they continue to shave off battery space (or at least use the exact same batteries in todays devices that were powering the 4G ipods) to get thinner and thinner handhelds. I think we'd all like 10 hours movie battery life, and this would be relatively easy if the device was an extra 4mm thick. I don't see them doing that any time soon, because it violates their thinner is better motto. It actually *was* their motto until the Association of eating disorders came down on their asses for it.

But who cares why they do it, I just wish they'd stop. I guess it's another year of waiting with my current ipod to get a larger one.

While I agree to an extent, Apple's philosophy has really become Aesthetics over Function. I mean, take a look at the macbook pros, they sacrifice cooler operating temperatures and larger battery capacities for about 3-5 mm. The 1 button mice sacrificed usability for aesthetic or simplistic value. Mac mini without a dedicated grapics chip. The use of adhesives rather than plastic clips or metal locks in recent ipods which prevent the ease of component replacement, although this probably helps generate sales.

If what you said was totally true then why do they continue to shave off battery space (or at least use the exact same batteries in todays devices that were powering the 4G ipods) to get thinner and thinner handhelds. I think we'd all like 10 hours movie battery life, and this would be relatively easy if the device was an extra 4mm thick. I don't see them doing that any time soon, because it violates their thinner is better motto. It actually *was* their motto until the Association of eating disorders came down on their asses for it.

But who cares why they do it, I just wish they'd stop. I guess it's another year of waiting with my current ipod to get a larger one.

I agree on some points here, which is why I will not buy a new iPod this round still (yes I have an iPhone, but different side), but like you said the use of certain parts to lock down products has been a big thing for Apple. They have even kept their OS locked down for this long, and they have learned they will not be punished for doing the same with their products, some.

On the notion of better batteries is very true and one reason I still will not buy a new iPod. Though look at what people are looking at? Size!! They see huge storage numbers and a shiny new iPod Touch and finally a slimmer design, they forget about battery life and other features. While the enthusiasts crowd notices these things, we are a small number compared to the masses who could care less, or are uneducated to this fact.

As long as the large mass of consumers do not complain or take notice to certain features the smaller crowds get left behind or unnoticed for what they need/want. While Apple finally came out with the iPod touch, people like & me, have zero space on it and lack of other features. Yet others will be buying this new iPod for themselves, kids, relatives, etc.

...As long as the large mass of consumers do not complain or take notice to certain features the smaller crowds get left behind or unnoticed for what they need/want. While Apple finally came out with the iPod touch, people like & me, have zero space on it and lack of other features. Yet others will be buying this new iPod for themselves, kids, relatives, etc.

people vote with their money, and by all means the (majority of the) general public seems to approve of pretty much everything Apple is doing in relation to the ipod.

i dont have a lot of experience with portable movie players but could you load dvds to the ipod touch? or do you have to buy all your movies and tv shows from itunes to watch them on your player?

i dont have a lot of experience with portable movie players but could you load dvds to the ipod touch? or do you have to buy all your movies and tv shows from itunes to watch them on your player?

You can convert an entire 90m movie to around 700mb using a variety of freeware programs.

people vote with their money, and by all means the (majority of the) general public seems to approve of pretty much everything Apple is doing in relation to the ipod.

Which is why I'm avoiding the ipod classic so hard :eek:

I called the Apple Store today and confirmed they had a 16GB iPod Touch in store, I went over there and picked one up =).

I called the Apple Store today and confirmed they had a 16GB iPod Touch in store, I went over there and picked one up =).

I was going to do the same until I found out you can't add calender events :(

Just one too many things against it ...

Which is why I'm avoiding the ipod classic so hard :eek:

Why would you avoid a genuinely good product? I avoided all iPods up to 5.5G because they downright sucked, and bought a good product - my Zen Vision W. The 6G iPod is a very nice player that's well worth it's low price tag, and I'm very much enjoying it.

Let me give you a little lesson in capitalism (the core of America, for those of you not in the know): you're supposed to buy what's good; reward companies with good product, and punish companies with bad products. If everyone followed that pure and simple principle, we'd all be a lot better off. People who screw up the capitalist system through insane things like brand loyalty are leeches on a capitalist society who would probably fare a lot better in communist China. :p

Back