New ipod touch...almost a PDA?

JPGR87

Gawd
So the new ipod touch is out, with 8 or 16gb of storage, same multi-touch as the iphone (and form factor), wifi, safari with youtube and stuff.... is it just me or is the ipod slowly evolving into a PDA. I mean all that they really need is the ability to add 3rd party apps (which is already being realized with or without apple's help) and stuff like calander and contacts.

It already syncs with itunes, and has all of the media functionality of my Axim, albeit with the mystical apple touch

The shortcomings of PDA's, battery life and memory, are fixed in this thing.

I guess its still technically a ipod at heart, but all of these extras they're adding are really pushing it into a multifunction realm. Kind of makes me wish the rest of the market hadn't given up on PDA's.

it's not so much a pda as the most portable element of peoples' digital lives (how's that for apple-esque terminology?)

personally, I think it's priced too high, doesn't do enough for the price and doesn't have nearly enough storage for the price.

I am becoming more and more of an Apple fanboy, so take this with a grain of salt, but,
this is the best day of my entire life.

would someone please post some specs / pics / price!!!!! :eek:

im on slow ass internet at the moment so please help! I need to know!! lol

dsc_7656.jpg

dsc_7655.jpg

price:

8gb for 299, 16gb for 399

every feature the phone has except phone and the camera. and some of the other less important apps (well, I didn't see gmaps but who knows and it's not like that really matters you can just use maps.google.com or whatever).

Has Safari browser.

iTunes store is now mobile/wifi.

Full application "support' as in iPhone, so every custom made page (facebook, meebo, etc) works on iPod Touch.

I was excited about this product (even considered selling my Zen Vision W), now I'm crushed. I expected at least 32GB. The 16GB version is a full $100 more than Creative's new 16GB SSD Zen. :(

Well from what I was reading he said that it was for the holiday season which means more than like somewhere around the beginning to mid November..... Guess my fiance will be getting one for her b-day and not me....Damn you Apple!!!

I was excited about this product (even considered selling my Zen Vision W), now I'm crushed. I expected at least 32GB. The 16GB version is a full $100 more than Creative's new 16GB SSD Zen. :(

yes, but (i'm really not being a fanboy here), the 100 dollar less Zen has a slightly different feature set.

Anyway, for me it's not even a matter of price - this is honestly a perfect device for me, and it has the feature set I've been wishing for. These will be hugly popular also, so I have no doubt there will be some amazing mods/applications/etc for me that make them even better. WiFi/safari opens up a whole new world of posibilities.

Well from what I was reading he said that it was for the holiday season which means more than like somewhere around the beginning to mid November..... Guess my fiance will be getting one for her b-day and not me....Damn you Apple!!!

According to Jason Chen at the Gizmodo coverage,
"Storage: 8GB and 16GB, $299 and $399. Ships in a few weeks (this month)."

According to Jason Chen at the Gizmodo coverage,
"Storage: 8GB and 16GB, $299 and $399. Ships in a few weeks (this month)."

WOOOHOOO!!!!!!! I have been getting sparatic coverage at work so I was not sure, just saw something about holiday season but guess I will have my fiance order me one for my bday in a couple weeks!!! YEAH ME!!!!!:D

Like I said in another thread.
This is a great product, even though I have an iPhone, I still would prefer the nicely large 160gb iPod classic.

is this model replacing the current video ipod? If so than wat is happening to the pricing on them?

Or is this a new highend model? And are the other iPods upgraded?

i loved my 5.5 gen iPod for it's size, but mainly because i just threw everything on it all willy nilly without worrying about size... Before that I made due with my 2gig nano just fine.

8 gigs will be more than enough, I'll just have to keep only a few epidoes of MacGyver on it at a time :)

is this model replacing the current video ipod? If so than wat is happening to the pricing on them?

Or is this a new highend model? And are the other iPods upgraded?

New line up:
Ipod nano - now has video, aka "the fatty"
Ipod classic - normal ipod we have seen, increased capacity to 80/160
Ipod Touch - iPhone without phone

Also, the nano and classic have new shells that are aluminum I think? Correct me if I am wrong please.

the new lineup is as follows;

- ipod shuffle- same thing, new colors including red version
- ipod nano- new, bigger screen, video playback 4gb for $149 8gb for $199
- ipod classic- new, replaces 5g ipod, similar in size and functionality, 80gb for $249 160gb for $349
- ipod touch- iphone less the phone part, $299 for 8gb and $399 for 16gb
- iphone- price drop to $399 for the 8gb, fate of the 4gb model is unknown

Well PDA's don't have a storage issue as they use SD cards. So you really have unlimited storage.

What the ipod touch lacks is the ability to use 3rd party apps. And I don't mean gay web 2.0 crap.
And I haven't seen a touch keyboard on any photos yet.

Trying to load Apple.com right now and it is taking forever. I have a feeling they will be bombarded for the next few hours and their site will eventually go down. Can anyone confirm shipment of Ipod Touch and the new Nano?

I am watching the guided tour and the Touch looks pretty sweet. I think I am going to get one.

Well PDA's don't have a storage issue as they use SD cards. So you really have unlimited storage.

What the ipod touch lacks is the ability to use 3rd party apps. And I don't mean gay web 2.0 crap.
And I haven't seen a touch keyboard on any photos yet.

dsc_7659.jpg

RE: storage issues- your point is semi-valid in that who, that is seriously in the market for a convergence device like the ipod touch or iphone, is going to be ok with carrying around a memory cards?

RE: storage issues- your point is semi-valid in that who, that is seriously in the market for a convergence device like the ipod touch or iphone, is going to be ok with carrying around a memory cards?

The cards are small. You may not need to carry around any. Just the one in the unit. You can get ones larger than 16gb too. Perhaps you have a case for the ipod touch. I have one for my PDA that also holds two additional SD cards.

I have been running off my first gen 2gb nano for over a year now and really dont see the need for much more space so the 8gb version of the touch will be just fine for me. I will probably wait until they have them in store to see whether or not I will buy it (will be very hard to say no on this one).

They ship on September 28th. 3 weeks and 2 days.

The iPod touch looks great. I currently own a blue iPod nano (4 GB). I don't have my entire cd collection on it. My thought when I bought it was that I would just hook it up to iTunes if I wanted different albums.

The iPod touch looks very cool. The 16 GB would be great but the price is just to much. I might go for the 8 GB, put couple video, more albums and songs, some photos. And wi-fi is a plus.

I would have to see it in person, maybe an early Christmas present for myself. :D

I agree that removable storage is an option, but it wasn't until fairly recently that SD cards came in any respectible size. Even now, they max out at 4 gigs for most devices (compatibility is starting to become an issue). having 16 gigs of storage in the ipod just makes life a lot easier, especially when syncing up your media. Arguably, this was the next evolutionary step for the PDA had it not gone the way of the dodo.

If the ipod touch gets anywhere near the rabid developer fanbase that both pocketpc and palm enjoyed, then it might start inadvertantly replacing that market segment as people start to tailor the device to their own needs.

iPod Touch doesn't have the e-mail app. I thought I would mention it since no one else has. This is one of the more important apps in my opinion. I'm sure someone out there will hack one onto the Touch.

One thing I am looking for that I havent seen info on yet: Does anyone know if it will sync up with your PC via your wifi network or will it require docking?

iPod Touch doesn't have the e-mail app. I thought I would mention it since no one else has. This is one of the more important apps in my opinion. I'm sure someone out there will hack one onto the Touch.

While this is bad, you can just as easily pop into safari (have bookmarks setup) and your in. While this takes a few more steps, you can only use safari when in wifi range, same with the email app so not much difference other than X number of steps.

The iphone had an e-mail app? Was that third party? All I know was it had a voice mail feature for your cell service that display like e-mail, which would be totally not needed on an mp3. And you can always use the browser to check e-mail.

Yes, the iPhone has a direct email application that works with most any POP email.
The voice mail is called "visual voice mail," and it is a very nice feature. Sound quality is a bit low, but that is because the voice mail is downloaded onto your phone and compressed.

Damn, they had to make this harder. I was like cool, an 8gb iTouch for half the price of the 8gig iPhone. But now they dropped the price $200, so now the 8gn iPhone is only $100 more than the 8gb iTouch. The phone would be really nice, the unlimited web.

Quick questions though..

1: Does the iPhone play music over bluetooth, in stereo, and support player controls on bluetooth headphones?

2: How slow is the unlimited web speed through the cell service? Is it too slow to do youtube, but fast enough to make google maps useful on the road?

3: I already recently signed up for 2 more years with Cingular AT&T about 6 months ago, what kind of fees have you guys heard of for people wanting to breaketheir plan to the iPhone? I mean you going to resign up for 2 more years with them anyway, and looks like since you can order the iPhone through Apple, not like AT&T is redoing another huge discount on the phone like they normally do with 2 year agreements. So they do really lose much do they?

My Sony Ericsson Walkman has bluetooth, but doesn't let you play music over it, and with no headphone jack, the annoying attachement to the base with a huge wire that makes things too long when you connect headphones to it makes it annoying to use as an mp3 player on the go.

One question I have is will there be any chat programs on it? Would be kind of cool to have something like that on there if it's going to have wifi.

That is a very good question. That would be awesome if the iTouch supported AD2P stereo bluetooth. However, browsing through their page I did not see anything that eluded to that so I am going to have to say no. Plus there is no mention of bluetooth capability for any of them. That is kinda the reason that I was going to get the Samsung Blackjack but now with the iPhone being cheaper I may wait and deal with my POS Nokia for awhile. Damn you Apple and your great toys!!!

One question I have is will there be any chat programs on it? Would be kind of cool to have something like that on there if it's going to have wifi.

I am sure that it will have a 3rd Party app built for it shortly that will allow such thing. Would be nice to sit in bed and listen to music while IMing with my buddies.

The iphone had an e-mail app? Was that third party? All I know was it had a voice mail feature for your cell service that display like e-mail, which would be totally not needed on an mp3. And you can always use the browser to check e-mail.

yes

it even supports IMAP (IE Exchange server).

Back