New iPhone(s) on September 9th

Haha ok, I just want to utilize my $900 Apple Store Credit and not trying to just buy it and resell. I am also on AT&T, so hopefully once I can re-sell the one I bought at full price I can use that profit for my upgrade that I have available.

I was also reading that if people want the T-mo to stay unlocked that they should take out the T-mo sim in it or something. Not sure, but not really my concern since I won't be using it.

The iphone will be locked if you order through T-Mobile. That was the case with my gf's iphone 5. Easy to unlock through the carrier, though.

If you order through the Apple with a full payment, the phone will be unlocked.

Total time on the phone with Sprint to order an iPhone 6 and keep my (old) SERO plan:

Call #1: 1 hour 6 minutes
Call #2: 1 hour, 54 minutes
-----
Total: 3 hours

tmobile was having major issues this morning filling orders. Mine seems to finally be submitted after about 3 hours.

Didn't you just say you're buying a note 4 in another thread?

That was three and a half hours earlier man.:D I ended up deciding on both though. I'm buying the iPhone 6 Plus outright right now and then I'll sell my Note 3 and put that towards a Note 4.

I've always wanted two nice but different kinds of phones. I guess it's time.

Wow... I wouldn't have the patience.

I normally don't have the patience either. The 1 hour 6 minute call ended when I had to go do a presentation. Calling back again and listening to more hold music was brutal. Attempting to keep my $50/month single line unlimited everything plan was a highly motivating factor :)

That was three and a half hours earlier man.:D I ended up deciding on both though. I'm buying the iPhone 6 Plus outright right now and then I'll sell my Note 3 and put that towards a Note 4.

I've always wanted two nice but different kinds of phones. I guess it's time.

Well you aren't getting much of an upgrade with the Note 4. But awesome man, have fun with your purchases.

Well you aren't getting much of an upgrade with the Note 4. But awesome man, have fun with your purchases.

I know, but my Note 3 has to be the best condition I've ever kept a phone in, in my life. I had the case and screen protector in hand before the phone ever arrived in the mail and I put them on within the first ten minutes of having the phone and never took them off after.

So I'm hoping I get top dollar for it (still trying to figure out what that will be) and that it takes up a big chunk towards the Note 4 purchase. It'll be the first time in my life I have two cool phones at once. Both being phones that barely fit in my front pockets...lol.

I just want to stay current with both ecosystems. It was the main reason I bought my MBPr, too. I had never really used Apple products outside of setting up a few at work until I bought my MBPr.

You're probably gonna see reviews on September 17th at around 9PM Eastern. (Apple has regularly set the review embargo for two days before launch at 9PM.)

Now, you'll probably want to stick to the more technology-focused outlets than the mainstream ones (which will probably focus on very top-level stuff), but that'll at least give you a sense of what the new iPhones are like pretty quickly. And if you don't trust those, the second wave will appear days later.

Yea, this isn't my first rodeo :)

I know, but my Note 3 has to be the best condition I've ever kept a phone in, in my life. I had the case and screen protector in hand before the phone ever arrived in the mail and I put them on within the first ten minutes of having the phone and never took them off after.

So I'm hoping I get top dollar for it (still trying to figure out what that will be) and that it takes up a big chunk towards the Note 4 purchase. It'll be the first time in my life I have two cool phones at once. Both being phones that barely fit in my front pockets...lol.

I just want to stay current with both ecosystems. It was the main reason I bought my MBPr, too. I had never really used Apple products outside of setting up a few at work until I bought my MBPr.

That is my current plan too, my note 3 has minor chips but zero scratches on the screen or anything else really. But I'm staying with one phone! My work phone is a sub $100 purchase :p

I'm interested in reviews and iOS 8. Probably will skip the iPhone 6 though. Still like the look of my 5S way more.

I'm interested in reviews and iOS 8. Probably will skip the iPhone 6 though. Still like the look of my 5S way more.

iOS 8 has some really handy features. Lots of little things to make general use easier. I've been running the GM since it was released and it's been working great. At work I've had it on an iPad and it was working fine there too.

iOS 8 has some really handy features. Lots of little things to make general use easier. I've been running the GM since it was released and it's been working great. At work I've had it on an iPad and it was working fine there too.

Yeah I've looked at some videos that discussed some of the features. Personally I still think iOS 6 had a much better look (probably just nostalgia though). The cool thing is you still pretty much get all the features with a 5S, except maybe the 240FPS mode which I don't care about.

Yeah I've looked at some videos that discussed some of the features. Personally I still think iOS 6 had a much better look (probably just nostalgia though). The cool thing is you still pretty much get all the features with a 5S, except maybe the 240FPS mode which I don't care about.

The 5s still has 120fps recording and looks great. Besides the bigger screen and NFC, not much else reason for me to upgrade either. Plus hopefully the nexus (whatever) is coming out soon. I returned my Lg G3 so I have some funds ready for it.

Sorry what is an MBPr?

The Galaxy Note 4 is my choice. The iPhone 6 Plus' design is too chunky and big.

So much for "American pride".

The iPhone 6 is using LG Display as it's main display supplier.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/08/19/lg-display-iphone-6/

Also, SK Hynix and Samsung, not Micron, are the main suppliers for the RAM and memory components of the iPhone 6.
http://www.zdnet.com/iphone-6-sales-to-boost-korean-parts-suppliers-7000033594/

Furthermore, according to the same source, the iPhone 6 camera is made by LG and the Optical Image Stabilizing module is also made by LG. The PCBs of the iPhone 6 is also made by LG.

LG Innotek is the single company that will benefit most from the iPhone 6 according to the reports. LG Innotek is a subsidiary of LG Group, a Korean electronics giant.

Major component suppliers for iPhone 6:

RAM/flash memory: SK Hynix and Samsung (possibly also Micron?)
IPS Display: LG Display
Camera: LG Innotek
Optical image stabilizing module: LG Innotek
CPU: Samsung and TSMC (no, it's not just TSMC anymore, they had yield problems)

Apple Watch display: LG Display

Why does Apple continue to use Korean suppliers when it can choose from Micron, Sandisk, etc?

Last edited:
yes its smoother for single open app at a time or just navigate through the phone just that open/close a single app at time.... did you opened 50 tabs but which tabs? open blank tabs?, try to keep those 50 tabs open and still keep other apps open while multitasking and still be smooth.. sorry but no that not gonna happen.. i have a iphone 5S for work and a galaxy S4 for personal use and they are in different leagues seriously.. i can have the youtube mini thumb open with other about 25 tabs browsing in google chrome, with split screen with BBM chat with zombie wars in background farming waves (gaming) and downloading from :rolleyes:xvideos:rolleyes: and still be completely smooth.. (i do it always while reading [H]Forum in the nights..) i can't do the same in my iphone.. i just can't.. can you?..

Who the eff needs 50 tabs open on a phone?

Why does Apple continue to use Korean suppliers when it can choose from Micron, Sandisk, etc?

Scale. Micron and SanDisk are significant, but telling them that they have to ship tens of millions of flash memory chips to one customer every quarter? That's a lot to ask. It's a big reason why the CPU manufacturing is (reportedly) split between Samsung and TSMC. Apple wants to avoid depending on rivals wherever possible, but it's not so proud that it'll willingly hurt its manufacturing capability in the process.

Heck, I'll bet that LG, Samsung and the like have the same image problem in their homeland. Fans like to pretend that they're all made in Korean factories, but nope -- a lot of their parts come from China, and some of the complete products are assembled there, too. When I tried the Galaxy Note II, it was clearly made in China.

It's also fairly notable that Motorola, which got a lot of attention for its "made in the USA" angle, eventually had to give up its domestic factory and even sold itself to a Chinese company (albeit one that respects its US divisions). Local production only matters if it's sustainable.

Its hilarious when you think about all the rumors over the past year on what the iPhone 6 would be, wild stuff like integrated touch sensor in the screen, integrated fingerprint sensor, no home button, curved glass edges etc.

And in the end its literally just a bigger iPhone 5 with some updated specs and no new features. And this is repeated every single year, why is there so much hype and expectation??

Its hilarious when you think about all the rumors over the past year on what the iPhone 6 would be, wild stuff like integrated touch sensor in the screen, integrated fingerprint sensor, no home button, curved glass edges etc.

And in the end its literally just a bigger iPhone 5 with some updated specs and no new features. And this is repeated every single year, why is there so much hype and expectation??

Is that any different from Samsung during 2012-2014 on their flagship phones?

Apple's "bigger than bigger" motto is fitting since iPhone 6 is a frankenstein phone that's like half an inch bigger than necessary. I'd feel silly putting that next to my head.

And, what's with the 1GB DRAM that's like the netbook of phones. Is iOS limited to addressing 1GB or Apple cheapening out again?

Are you happy to see me or is that the new iPhone 6?

Pocketability is going to be an issue so I can see the return of MC Hammer pants which would've been a more fitting band than U2. :D

mc_hammer_pants.jpg

http://youtu.be/otCpCn0l4Wo

Well, whether it's too big or not, a lot of people are snapping it up... already in short supply. That's partly due to low inventory, but almost every friend who's even vaguely an iPhone fan is buying the 6 Plus. Who knew I'd be a rebel by getting the smaller model?

The 6 Plus would have been more interesting to me if it didn't have so much wasted space above and below the screen. It's positively massive for a 5.5 screen.

Well, whether it's too big or not, a lot of people are snapping it up... already in short supply. That's partly due to low inventory, but almost every friend who's even vaguely an iPhone fan is buying the 6 Plus. Who knew I'd be a rebel by getting the smaller model?

Its ok, its the same argument people had over the Note 3 and its marginally larger than the Note 3. Regardless of these asinine comments made the Note 3 was a very good seller and the 6+ appears to be the same.

Apple's "bigger than bigger" motto is fitting since iPhone 6 is a frankenstein phone that's like half an inch bigger than necessary. I'd feel silly putting that next to my head.

And, what's with the 1GB DRAM that's like the netbook of phones. Is iOS limited to addressing 1GB or Apple cheapening out again?

I'm guessing that iOS is a lot more efficient than Android when it comes to RAM usage.

On my iPhone 5, I've never run into a situation where I felt memory limited. In most cases, games/apps tend to run much better on iOS than their Android cousins, regardless of how much memory is available.

I'm sure once developers start running out of resources, you'll see Apple add more

(TLDR: android is sort of bloated at this point for a mobile OS)

I'm guessing that iOS is a lot more efficient than Android when it comes to RAM usage.

On my iPhone 5, I've never run into a situation where I felt memory limited. In most cases, games/apps tend to run much better on iOS than their Android cousins, regardless of how much memory is available.

I'm sure once developers start running out of resources, you'll see Apple add more

(TLDR: android is sort of bloated at this point for a mobile OS)
Android is not bloated. Custom OEM skins are.

When I boot my Moto X or Droid Maxx, I am using only 600 mb of RAM out of 2 gb. When I boot my Galaxy S5, I am using 1.5 GB's out of 2.

Why do you think phones like the note and G3 are all starting to move towards 3 gb of RAM? Because they have to accommodate the shitty skins they put out there.

Makes it hard for Android developers to properly optimize their apps to work on every phone. Using 800 mb of RAM might be fine on a Nexus or Moto X but could be death for a phone like the S5.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The problem when you give up tight control of your platform is... well, you give up tight control of your platform. Google can make Android as lean and speedy as it wants, but it can't set many baseline expectations. It's part of why the company is forcing Android Wear/Auto/TV manufacturers to use the stock interface; it doesn't want you to be soured on the whole concept of Android smartwatches because some big OEM decided to weigh down its watch with gimmicky software that kills performance and battery life.

On my iPhone 5, I've never run into a situation where I felt memory limited.
Safari does have a tendency to toss out tab content pretty aggressively. There have been times I've lost something I've entered in text boxes in one tab because I'm browsing around in another. I think iOS devices could stand to get more memory, or Safari could at least stand to page out stale tabs to solid state instead of dumping them entirely.

I don't need fifty tabs open, but it would be useful if I could rely on being able to have at least a few kept in memory.

Considering how much iOS controls background tasks, the 1gb will be fine for most tasks, they really should of tried to go 1.5gb to 2gb. Of course 1gb won't run them into any major problems but if they really want their 64bit to take off they do need to start expanding.

They hit a similar problem way back in the early Mac days, allowed clones to take over that were running double memory and had this magical "multi tasking" features that allowed two applications to stay open.

iOS uses fake task switching so it gets by with low DRAM but even then for single tasks like Safari it performs poorly and freezes like on a live blog. A good test for iOS 8 split screen is to view two different live blogs. If the non-active window is not updating then you know it's using fake task switching which I suspect it'll be considering Apple kept the same DRAM for iPhone 6 but the benefit is it can be implemented on older devices.

http://youtu.be/rGTQAYHfc8U

In fairness, the original Galaxy Note was a royal pain to hold -- too wide, too thick. It took until the Note 3 to get a design that was genuinely easy to grab.

Also, that ad isn't really going to change the reality on the ground... especially since Apple will have about a one month lead on the Note 4 in the US and other countries. You're not competing if you're not shipping anything.

Back