New Internet Fast Lane For First Responders

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
During large disasters communications can be damaged, or jammed as networks get overloaded. A new company called FirstNet has come up with a "multi-node label routing protocol." The system uses the same internet as every other connection, but breaks down possible routes for internet traffic into hierarchies, making it possible for failed links to be detected and repaired 12 times faster than with regular protocols.

Being a native Floridian, I know all about what can happen to emergency services when a natural disaster strikes, with phone lines jammed, and cell carriers overloaded, it can become quite an ordeal to say the least. This seems like a fantastic way of handling the problems without building a dedicated network for first responders.

This system, governed by the rules set out in the "border gateway protocol," works well most of the time. But when it fails, there can be long delays in communications. In fact, on average, 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) can go by before a failure is identified. In that time, the data just wait in an information traffic jam, not moving.

It's amazing that an entire civilization can be taken out so easily. If aliens/robots wanted to destroy the human race, all they have to do is cut the power. No power, no internet. No internet, no communications. No communications, no resistance.

During large disasters communications can be damaged, or jammed as networks get overloaded. A new company called FirstNet has come up with a "multi-node label routing protocol." The system uses the same internet as every other connection, but breaks down possible routes for internet traffic into hierarchies, making it possible for failed links to be detected and repaired 12 times faster than with regular protocols.

Being a native Floridian, I know all about what can happen to emergency services when a natural disaster strikes, with phone lines jammed, and cell carriers overloaded, it can become quite an ordeal to say the least. This seems like a fantastic way of handling the problems without building a dedicated network for first responders.

This system, governed by the rules set out in the "border gateway protocol," works well most of the time. But when it fails, there can be long delays in communications. In fact, on average, 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) can go by before a failure is identified. In that time, the data just wait in an information traffic jam, not moving.

The last Hurricane that hit us hard was Katrina and Wilma back to back in 2005. I didn't have a cellphone then but our landline was a life saver. And yet AT&T is still trying to convince us to sign up for VOIP.

Apparently it's built on their own hardware network and only for first responders. just uses typical internet protocols so that they dont have to design totally new things. So I assume they're charging an exorbitant membership to keep it viable. But I agree with NickJames. Internet protocols for voice are never robust and reliable enough for emergency situations, unless they've waay overprovisioned this network for their first repsonders... which goes back to exorbitant membership... which means eventually this is going to end up in my taxes somewhere....

As a past medic in West Virginia our internet went down frequently no storm nevessary. Cell service is rare back in the hollers but we can talk half way across the country with hopped up Citizen Bands. I still like me some old tech, go ahead and drop the grid a country boy can survive.. as i type this out on my computer

On one hand, I do not mind the idea of emergency services having preferential access.
On the other hand, what is designated as a emergency service is not something that will be agreed upon or obvious.

So I am torn.

Back