New HTPC build thoughts

forkedt

Limp Gawd
I am creating a new HTPC and having only limited experience would welcome and and all thoughts on my design please.

Goals:
• To stream internet content (TV Shows on Fox, Hulu, Youtube, etc.)
• Capable of streaming Blu-ray quality video and audio from HD and/or Player
• Able to play at least mid-range games (if possibly some higher end too but not a requirement)

My Build:
• Case (nMEDIAPC Red Wood/Steel HTPC 8000 ATX) - $99.99
• PSU (Seasonic S12II 330W Bronze ATX12V) - $46.99
• MoBo (ASUS P7H55D-M EVO LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard) - $124.99
• CPU (Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06Ghz 73W Dual Core) - 139.99
• RAM (Kingston HyperX 2GB (2x1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333)- $69.99
• Optical (ASUS Black 4x BD, 8x DVD, 32x CD Internal) - $64.99
• CPU Cooler (Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B) - $24.99
Or
Cooler Master Hyper N 520 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - $33.88
• HDD (WD 1TB) – Free. I don’t have a link handy for the specific model but its a 1TB WD hard drive (not green edition) that I have lying around right now.

Total Cost (without shipping):
$590.93 (or $599.82 with the Cooler Master CPU cooler)

Comments on my build:
I like the chassis because it makes installating/swapping easy and should run pretty quiet but it's not a must. The Bluetooth adapter is not really needed but I am constantly transferring files between my phone and computer as it is so this will cut out the middle-man and let me transfer directly - a little cost for great convenience. I didn’t add a dedicated GPU because the Clarkdales natural video processing should be able to handle what I want from what I’ve read (if anyone begs to differ please let me know know, I don’t want to find out after the fact!). I know the ram is skimping but I needed to save somewhere, I’ll add more to it later obviously.

Thank you all for any thought on improving the design or lowering the costs associated, they are very much welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited:
I like this setup! May want to upgrade to 4mb of Ram instead of 2.

You're actually overspending on the RAM: Get this equally performing RAM for less:
$54 - Patriot 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM

For gaming, you will need a dedicated GPU. the onboard video of the Core i3 CPU is not sufficient to play games at medium settings. Hell it's barely adequate for low settings. I recommend the HD 5770.

PSU wise, you can get the larger and equal quality Corsair 400CX for $6 less once you factor in shipping:
$50 - Corsair 400CX 400W PSU

HSF wise, that Coolermaster HSF is not compatible with LGA 1156 CPUs.

Back