New HSF For 8800GTS 512 (w/ pics)

Xyrax

Limp Gawd
I ordered the Thermalright HR-03 GT for my 8800GTS 512. 70 Degree temps under load w/ stock cooler are just a bit too warm for my tastes. Hopefulyl this thing will help bring those temps down.

Now for pics (taken with Canon PowerShot S3 IS. Low batteries so no flash (reason for the noise))

Not sure why, but whenever I order from FrozenCPU they always use a lube box to ship my order in. Talk about giving the delivery guy the wrong idea. :eek:
box_1.jpg

box_2.jpg

Contents: I'll be sleeving that fan tail.
HR03.jpg

I'll post pics of the HSF installed once I'm finished installing it. I need to decide if I want to install it wrapping around the vid card or just install it standing off the GPU side of the vid card. Both have their pro's and cons. I'd rather have it wrap around the vid card due to the way my understanding of how haetpipes work but not sure if I have the room since I'm cooling my CPU with a TRUE120. However, mounting it this way means not direct airflow over the memory and regulator heatsinks.

Any suggestions?

AFAIK heat-pipe orientation is a non-issue as they use a wick inside. Also, memory and especially the voltage regulators get hot so it would be better to have the HSF over the GPU and not wrapped around.

Turns out I didn't have enough room to mount it in the wrap-around orientation. Temps dropped a good 25-20 degrees idle and dropped by about the same ammount under load.

The RAM sinks don't stick very well. I'm hoping after a few temp cycles the adhesive will set (if they don't fall off before then).

wow 70C i never knew it was that high yea hope that cooler works for you.

The RAM sinks don't stick very well. I'm hoping after a few temp cycles the adhesive will set (if they don't fall off before then).

Did you get any instructions saying to clean the tops of the ram chips with alcohol or something before sticking them on? They have to be cleaned or they won't stick.

That's a big honkin' GPU cooler, and it looks awesome.

I happen to prefer the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1, but only because it's way cheaper for very nearly the same performance. But if I was a rich man I'd buy the Thermalright in a heartbeat. :D

Now be sure and take more pics and post them here! :D

Oh and by the way, nice choice in camera too. I had a Powershot S3 IS and it's by far the best of the ultra-zoom point and shoot cameras out there in my opinion, only surpassed by it's younger brother the S5 IS. :)

Did you get any instructions saying to clean the tops of the ram chips with alcohol or something before sticking them on? They have to be cleaned or they won't stick.

Exactamundo... I preach and preach this on the GPU forum constantly:

Nvidia uses some god awful stuff I like to call 'TIG' (or "Thermal Interface Gauze") between the video memory and the coolers on their cards. Not only is this stuff horrendously greasy but it's also HAIRY due to the gauze-like threads on either side of the material. Combine this with the fact that the substrate on the BGA memory chips is extremely POROUS and you have a real chore on your hands when it comes to getting them clean.

I recommend using the excellent 2-part Thermal Surface Cleaning & Purifying kit from Arctic Silver for this job. Solution 1 will cut through ANY thermal crud on ANY chip or heatsink surface - this kit is WELL worth the measily $5 that it costs.

1. Place the naked card on a flat surface.
2. Place 1 drop of Solution 1 of the Arctic Silver Thermal Cleaning Kit on each BGA memory chip and allow it to sit for 30 seconds or so.
3. Use a Q-Tip soaked in solution 1 to gently scrub each BGA memory chip. Use a new Q-Tip for each BGA memory chip.
4. Repeat step 3 again.
5. Now wipe each BGA memory chip with a Q-Tip soaked in solution 2 and allow to dry.
6. Repeat step 5 again.

Now you can apply your ramsinks. Remember with most thermal tape you need to hold the ramsink in place applying firm yet even pressure for 20 - 30 seconds.

Once the card goes through a few hours of operation the ramsinks will adhere to the memory chips with full strength. :)

I mounted my HR-03 on the downside of the card (not looped).
I don't want to blow 50C+ GPU load heat into my Ultra120 and NB.

I also mounted the fan to blow up through the fins (Towards the actual GPU) instead of sucking air. Then I setup two smaller fans to blow horizontally across the fins and out the back of the case. Works wonders, but probably actually makes more noise than the stock cooler.

Lower temps > Noise, I guess.
On the heatsink, I mounted the Kama Flex which is rated at about 30 CFM. Kinda weak, but there's enough airflow to compensate.

Oh I cleaned them alright (been building my own PC's for about 12 years now so not new to this stuff). Spent about an hour with a pile of q-tips and 91% rubbing alcohol (local shops didn't have anything higher than 91% :( ).

You described that thermal compound to a 'T'. Initially it looked like foam until I removed it and noticed the fibers in it and how greesy it was. So far none of the RAMsinks have fallen off. I temporarily have a piece of cardboard on my soundcard in case one of the RAMsinks come loose it won;t short anything out.

Pics of HSF installed (I know, dusty. Rig is due for a cleaning.):
installed_1.jpg

installed_2.jpg

Oh I cleaned them alright (been building my own PC's for about 12 years now so not new to this stuff). Spent about an hour with a pile of q-tips and 91% rubbing alcohol (local shops didn't have anything higher than 91% :( ).

I wasn't questioning your knowledge at all, just trying to pass along some that might be new. :)

Rubbing alcohol won't do squat on this stuff, not even if it was 100%. You need something tougher like the solution #1 from the Arctic Cooling kit. You can also use a Xylene based product like 'Goof-Off!' (not Goo-Gone, that's a citrus based cleaner).

Awesome rig and pictures, by the way. :)

Whats with the cardboard and tape on the back of that PCB? Nice hsf though. its friggin huge! :eek:

ps: isn't that painters tape? Which is paper, possibly flammable if heated?

Whats with the cardboard and tape on the back of that PCB? Nice hsf though. its friggin huge! :eek:

You dont read the posts do you.....

He said he put it on there incase one of the ram heatsinks falls off so it doesnt short out his sound card.

Nice cooler choice btw

Rubbing alcohol won't do squat on this stuff, not even if it was 100%. You need something tougher like the solution #1 from the Arctic Cooling kit. You can also use a Xylene based product like 'Goof-Off!' (not Goo-Gone, that's a citrus based cleaner).

Awesome rig and pictures, by the way. :)

The rubbing alcohol worked well actually. The RAM themselves came clean and the RAMsinks are sticking well. It's actually the heatsinks on the regulators that weren't sticking too well. Due to their size and the tall caps around them it wasn't as easy to clean them.

And thanks. :)

Yea it's painters tape but that whole cardboard set up is only temporary (Removing it in a day or two) and I don't leave my PC on when I'm out so even if it started to smolder or something I'd know right away.

I didn't realize how big this HSF was until I got it installed. This thing is taking up FOUR expansion slots with the fan installed.

Anybody have any better overclocks with a new cooler?
I'm really surprised these things throw off so much heat. With the 8800GT getting a single slot cooler, I half expected the GTS to be cool to the touch. It couldn't be farther from the truth.

I was overclocking my GTS last night. While running test loops of 3dmark my GPU was hitting the low 90s, and the back "vent" where the fan exhausts was so f-ing hot I couldn't leave my finger on it! And my CPU core temps went from low 50s/high 40s to mid 60s during this stretch. Craziness.

Wow, that thing is massive. What would this cooler's performance be compared to a Tt DuOrb? I'm thinking of getting a couple for my 8800GT's. Wouldn't be able to fit two of these monsters in my rig though.

Back