New HP Workstations

I've always liked HP's workstations. They should be quite good. HP rarely screws up on the design. Though I've found the motherboards to usually be lacking in regard to RAID features and things of the sort, but if it's important you typically order a real RAID controller anyway.

Ive installed a few of them at work, actually had the first one the company got and had to make an image for it running XP.
Machine flies, is super super quiet and has onboard LSI raid chip (SAS/SATA, 1068e chip I believe)
For one purpose the machine cut our rendering time in about half (we run VizRT software), the other purpose (yeh, go ahead and laugh) lets us watch a web site on our in house HD TV system (your laughing right?..yeh, way overkill)

I don't get this about workstations like this one: the most expensive model of the HP Z800 is $3,599.00 for 2.66ghz quad core, 3gb RAM etc.- a pretty basic setup. An i7 setup would be like half that, sure it's xeon but supposedly there's no significant difference, so why the high price? :confused:

I don't get this about workstations like this one: the most expensive model of the HP Z800 is $3,599.00 for 2.66ghz quad core, 3gb RAM etc.- a pretty basic setup. An i7 setup would be like half that, sure it's xeon but supposedly there's no significant difference, so why the high price? :confused:
Support. In an enterprise environment, you (usually) don't build your own systems.

Berger couple of things. we just got 28 z600's for our staff and ordering 20 more (state contract rocks, $800 each). the z6700 and z800 are multi cpu workstations so yes they are expensive but can have 2 5520's in them with 24 gigs of ram and 3 video cards in them. Enough power for like 5 years atleast. thats like 16 virtual processors.

I think the z800 can have 192 gigs of ram.

Yes they are more expensive then an i7 machine but can be way more powerfull also.

PS the cases rock and no tools required to install anything. even the power supply has a handle and slides right out.

Hey thanks, I get it now. The z800 case does look awesome, wish you could just buy one of those solo.

I have a dozen Z800s in place as design workstations. A mix of dual E5520 and dual X5550. Overall no complaints - provisioning off LAN worked great, the systems are quiet and generate a lot less heat than the old xw series.

That said, I've also gotten a few demo Dell Precisions (forget the model, similar class) and am very impressed, it's whisper silent and very well engineered. I may start heading in the Dell direction...

it sucks that Z800 doesnt support none quadro SLI!
SLI works only with quadro cards

Back