New Headphones Needed. Recommendations?

Saloma Teale

Limp Gawd
So as of now I have an aging and crackling pair of Turtle Beach 5.1 headphones. I KNOW that stereo headphones are the way to go and that the 5.1s that are out are not "true" 5.1, but lets bypass that road. I'm in the market for a new set of headphones. I have given myself up to $200 for the purchase of this new set, but i'm kind of out of the picture on what the best bang for the buck is going to be right now.

I've looked around locally in different audio, computing, and electronic stores, but stocked merchandise is very sparse, meaning there isnt alot for me to form a basis from. That leaves online stores, and particularly I'd like to get some reviews or writeups about headphones in my pricerange, and what I should get to looking into. I know that there was some sort of audiophile site/forum around at one point that delved into just this line of questioning, but I cant seem to remember what it was.

In any case... i'm open to suggestions and reviews of what people are using now. The set will be used for computer gaming, so clarity and range of sound is important.

Thanks all.

I was just going to suggest some Senn HD595's or some ATH A700's or A900's. If you would rather open design then get some AD700's

head-fi.org is where you want to be

btw... I'm running some Senn HD595's with a LDM+ amp and I really like the setup. I picked up both slightly used off head-fi for less than you budget

yeah I'm trying to find a Beyer 770. Anyone want to trade for a week lmk I have the a700 airs

soloz2 said:
I was just going to suggest some Senn HD595's or some ATH A700's or A900's. If you would rather open design then get some AD700's

head-fi.org is where you want to be

btw... I'm running some Senn HD595's with a LDM+ amp and I really like the setup. I picked up both slightly used off head-fi for less than you budget

Sorry... you're amping your headphones seperately from your computer rather than using your sound card? Care to elaborate a bit?

Saloma Teale said:
Sorry... you're amping your headphones seperately from your computer rather than using your sound card? Care to elaborate a bit?
Yea, belive it or not, there are tons of external amps out there designed specifically for amps.
again, just goto the head-fi.org forums, and click "amplification".

towert7 said:
Yea, belive it or not, there are tons of external amps out there designed specifically for amps.
again, just goto the head-fi.org forums, and click "amplification".

external amps designed for amps? lol

what he means is there are headphone amplifiers out there ranging from 40 to 10000 dollars and more. a headphone with an impedance greater than 80 ohm should be amped.

the audio technica is 32 ohm and the beyers come in a 32 ohm an 80 ohm and a 250 ohm. the senn 595 comes in 50 ohm and 125? ohm.

Saloma Teale said:

yeah, I have a LDM+ (Little dot micro+) headphone amp. it's a small portable amp that you can use plugged into the wall or on the internal battery. (I've had mine for a few weeks and it's still going on the original charge!) You can get one new for about $70 either off ebay or direct. I got mine used for $50 from head-fi.org for sale forums.
There are several options for headphone amps, and you can spend a LOT of money for a good amp, but there are some pretty decent amps that you can get for $100 or less.
the PA2v2 costs about $60 and is a very popular choice. a CMoy is another popular 'cheap' amp.

My setup looks like this: X-fi to LDM+ to HD595's
I chose the LDM+ because it has a more neutral sound than the PA2v2. (the PA2v2 tends to add more to the bass... so you might really like it)

My Senn HD595's are my 1st pair of audiophile cans and even unamped they sounded great directly out the back of my X-fi Xtreme music. Hey are 50 Ohm, so they are sensitive enough to be run fine directly out of my sound card and my zen micro photo. However, when I added the LDM+ they got so much better!
The bass is more present, and tighter. the mids are also brighter and clear. Also the highs are a bit clearer. Overall the amp brings much better and cleaner sound.

spaceman said:
external amps designed for amps? lol
Opps, brain wanted headphones, fingers wanted amps.
External amps designed for headphones. ^_^

Thanks for correcting me spaceman

Definately go with Sennhesiser 595! Just picked them up for 199.99 and they are amazing!!!! SO COMFORTABLE TOO!

Thank you all. From all of your reviews here as well as skimming through the audiofile forums, i've narrowed my selection down to the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro or the Sennheiser HD595. I'm still in the process of reading through the amplification section, but i'm sure i'll narrow it down soon enough.

Thanks very much for the input and information. Greatly appreciated.

Saloma Teale said:
Thank you all. From all of your reviews here as well as skimming through the audiofile forums, i've narrowed my selection down to the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro or the Sennheiser HD595. I'm still in the process of reading through the amplification section, but i'm sure i'll narrow it down soon enough.

Thanks very much for the input and information. Greatly appreciated.
If this is your introduction to high end audio, i'm sure either will put a smile on your face.

I'm biased, but I'de get the DT770pro + amp. For the price, I really like them.

I love my 595's..compared to my older ones, they are audio sex for my ears. :p

Mine is for the DT770/880's, which is what I'm going to get. They have better 3d sound positioning (obviously important for gaming) than the other two. Better bass too. Although maybe other music sounds better on the senns... either way get yourself some beyers.

Got the DT770's on order! Yay!

I should have them in my hands by Wednesday or Thursday. Only thing I have yet to get is a headphone amplifier. Reviews on these are pretty widespread so i've got a feeling that i'm going to be looking for something for quite some time.

Back to the research table i go.

Saloma Teale said:
Got the DT770's on order! Yay!

I should have them in my hands by Wednesday or Thursday. Only thing I have yet to get is a headphone amplifier. Reviews on these are pretty widespread so i've got a feeling that i'm going to be looking for something for quite some time.

Back to the research table i go.
I'de be interested to hear what you think of them when they arrive.

Give them a little while of playing music before you make statements though, so the headphones break in and your ear's get accustomed.

My gaming headphones decision has been narrowed down to the DT770s or the A900s. I want the DT770s but it sounds like these really need an amp from all the posts I have read. I'd prefer an amp for under $200 but a little better then the really small portable amps. I have yet to find something in this price window though.

DarkfallFan said:
My gaming headphones decision has been narrowed down to the DT770s or the A900s. I want the DT770s but it sounds like these really need an amp from all the posts I have read. I'd prefer an amp for under $200 but a little better then the really small portable amps. I have yet to find something in this price window though.
Take what some people say with a grain of salty peanuts. (including myself)

Without refined ears, you can be extreamly happy with a headphone without an amp (most everyone has been there at one time or another).

PS: listen for yourself with your own ears, it's the only way you can be sure.

bah.. get the amp.. get the 770's and be done with it. :D

edit: oops.. didn't realize you already did. heh

towert7 said:
Just by playing music through them.

alot of people break them in over the course of normal listening, others hook them up to an ipod and have them run for hours on end.

Although your budget is 200$, the best bang for the buck right now is the koss a130 off ebay for about 40$. When properly amped, a lot of people are favoring these to much higher end cans, and of course, they will work great unamped as well.

as many have said, DT770 80ohm with the PA2v2 amp.
I placed my orders online, got them in the mail on the SAME DAY!!!
Did some testing, with and without the amp, and yeah I can tell you they sound not bad without an amp, but with the PA2v2, I got mass doof doof action *which was one of the reasons I went with these closed cans* They are pretty comfortable too. I havent used them for gaming, but the soundstage with them seems like they are wicked *as most people may have pointed out*.

As for th Sennheiser, I hear a few people say they are not bad, but I guess I gotta wait till I have funds or a mate has them so I can give them a fair test (although I'd rather get the HD650 if I had $$$ to splash).

Wanted to make another post to thank all of you for your responses and recommendations.

As I had said above, I ended up ordering the Beyerdynamic DT770s, and they arrived last night. I was impressed right off the T. They came packaged in a leather case with shaped foam impression to keep the headphones snug and protected. Took them right out and tried them on my stereo receiver (Yamaha RXV-4600) with a few CDs.

First try was with decently heavy rock cd (Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power). Had excellent sound. Highs were clear and precise with loads of definition. Mids and lows were spot on as well. Much clearer than my Turtle Beach 5.1s (yes i know they are bad...) or my Sony Studio Monitors.

I did the same listening with some classic rock (Lynard Skynard) and then used them to listen to a DVD musical sequence (V For Vendetta explosion of the old Bailey). Totally blew me away.

I ended up then trying them on my computer, and while i WAS impressed by the clarity and tone, they did seem to be lacking the luster they had from my big stereo amp. I decided that yes, these should be powered seperately aside from running straight through the sound card (SB Audigy Extreme). I contacted the builder/maker of the Little Dot Micro+ to ask some questions relevant to my DT770s. I heard great reviews on this small amp on the headfi forums and have since ordered myself a new amp as of last night via his instructions to head to Ebay and check his "buy it now" auction that he always has up. The price was right on the unit as well coming in at $69 flat, so i only just broke my budget by a small ammount.

Ship time is going to be 10 days or so on the amp, so once I get that in my hands, charged up, and connected i'll get some more initial views of the duo (headphones + amp).

Thanks again.

Leet:p
I just got my dt770, and even though I like them, I'll admit that most music I listen to doesn't truly use this can's strengths. As of late, I enjoy them most listening to fm stations on my portable cd player. I haven't tried them out with what I really want em for...bf2, but I should be getting my wireless adapter today, so I can finally play bf2 on my computer once again. Even though I'll be using on-board audio, I'll try to give my impressions of how the dt770 sounds with bf2.

But yea, I REALLY like the dt770. Just wish everything was recorded with wide soundstages and plenty of bass:p

Saloma Teale said:
Wanted to make another post to thank all of you for your responses and recommendations.

As I had said above, I ended up ordering the Beyerdynamic DT770s, and they arrived last night. I was impressed right off the T. They came packaged in a leather case with shaped foam impression to keep the headphones snug and protected. Took them right out and tried them on my stereo receiver (Yamaha RXV-4600) with a few CDs.

First try was with decently heavy rock cd (Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power). Had excellent sound. Highs were clear and precise with loads of definition. Mids and lows were spot on as well. Much clearer than my Turtle Beach 5.1s (yes i know they are bad...) or my Sony Studio Monitors.

I did the same listening with some classic rock (Lynard Skynard) and then used them to listen to a DVD musical sequence (V For Vendetta explosion of the old Bailey). Totally blew me away.

I ended up then trying them on my computer, and while i WAS impressed by the clarity and tone, they did seem to be lacking the luster they had from my big stereo amp. I decided that yes, these should be powered seperately aside from running straight through the sound card (SB Audigy Extreme). I contacted the builder/maker of the Little Dot Micro+ to ask some questions relevant to my DT770s. I heard great reviews on this small amp on the headfi forums and have since ordered myself a new amp as of last night via his instructions to head to Ebay and check his "buy it now" auction that he always has up. The price was right on the unit as well coming in at $69 flat, so i only just broke my budget by a small ammount.

Ship time is going to be 10 days or so on the amp, so once I get that in my hands, charged up, and connected i'll get some more initial views of the duo (headphones + amp).

Thanks again.

hey lil^mac=)

Mind my asking you what "doof doof action" is? I THINK I have an idea of what you're talking about (plenty of bass slamming in your ears), but I would still like to clarify, hehe;p

Would you say that the pa2v2 increases the dt770's soundstage noticably? That's what I'm looking for the most, simply because I enjoy the dt770's vanilla soundstage so much.
Would you say the pa2v2 is worth the $70? And why would you say so? Thank you=D

lil^mac said:
as many have said, DT770 80ohm with the PA2v2 amp.
I placed my orders online, got them in the mail on the SAME DAY!!!
Did some testing, with and without the amp, and yeah I can tell you they sound not bad without an amp, but with the PA2v2, I got mass doof doof action *which was one of the reasons I went with these closed cans* They are pretty comfortable too. I havent used them for gaming, but the soundstage with them seems like they are wicked *as most people may have pointed out*.

As for th Sennheiser, I hear a few people say they are not bad, but I guess I gotta wait till I have funds or a mate has them so I can give them a fair test (although I'd rather get the HD650 if I had $$$ to splash).

Hey Towert7:p
Just wanna say thx cuz if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have gotten the dt770. I think this is one of the best purchases I made in a long time=D
Thank you;p lol.

lend82 said:
Would you say that the pa2v2 increases the dt770's soundstage noticably?
No
lend82 said:
Would you say the pa2v2 is worth the $70? And why would you say so? Thank you=D
Yes (although can be had for 60$us), tightens up bass with cheap sources, adds an external volume control, great value (will have the thing for years to come, and if you get into portable audio its quite nice)

lend82 said:
Hey Towert7:p
Just wanna say thx cuz if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have gotten the dt770. I think this is one of the best purchases I made in a long time=D
Thank you;p lol.
Just remember, your new headphones arn't the be-all-to-end-all in the high end audio world. So make sure you realize that when you give impressions.

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy them for years to come.

towert7 said:
No Yes (although can be had for 60$us), tightens up bass with cheap sources, adds an external volume control

I read that the loose bass of the dt770 makes it good for gaming explosions. So in that case, would an amp detract from gaming?

towert7 said:
Just remember, your new headphones arn't the be-all-to-end-all in the high end audio world. So make sure you realize that when you give impressions.

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy them for years to come.

I'll remember:p It's funny, I'm hearing details in music and bf2 that I HAVEN'T heard on my grado sr80, and when I had my sr80, I was hearing details that I DIDN'T hear on my cheap koss r80, lol=)

I realize that I need an x-fi to really bring out these can's performance for bf2. Even though it's MUCH better than the sr80 was (equalizer'd notwithstanding), there are a few things I'd like for to be better. For instance, for the FIRST time ever, the headphones give a constant presense of the airplanes in the sky, no matter how far they are away from you in the map. That's Ownij. But since they're like 4 airplanes and helicopters in the air at all times, the sound of them seems just too loud in such a little soundstage. Not that the dt770's soundstage is small, but in bf2 it kinda is--for the airplanes at least(imo). Maybe an x-fi will help with that=D

*edit* sometimes, when an explosion goes off in bf2, I jump nearly out of my seat, lol*

I REALLY like these for Quake 2 though(my favorite game of all time). The bass REALLY helps the game out, and the 3d sound positioning is WICKED. I can close my eyes and follow people throughout the map, that's how accurate and detailed it is.

But yea, I'm getting an x-fi in a few weeks and see how that'll work out:) I'm loving the dt770 with groove salad though.

l8r=D

I'm going to get the Beyerdynamic DT770. Which impedance should I go with? They will be hooked up to my H/K 525 receiver. Does that mean that they will be amped? What's the best place to get them? Thanks in advance.

I have the DT770pro 250ohm version, and the "Darth Beyer" 80ohm (which is a modified DT770pro 80ohm).
I have not heard the new 2005 versions though (yet).

Most people agree that the DT770pro 80ohm version is a more balanced version of the DT770pro 250ohm. They say the 80ohm has a little less bass, more mids, and less highs.
The DT770M uses fake leather ear pads and has a inline volume control in the cable, so many people avoid it.

Most people also say that the new DT770 2005 edition are even more balanced (less fun?) than the older DT770pro's. They say there is less bass and more mids still.

Some people say they prefer the new DT770 2005 edition, and others prefer the older DT770pro 80ohm. I'm not sure which you would prefer.

If you do not need a closed headphone, the new DT990 2005 edition is also an option. There are people buying them for 180$us new from bhphoto.com

You can get the DT770pro 250ohm from bhphoto for around 170$, and the DT770pro 80ohm for around 150$ from ebay or guitar center.

~Hope this helps, and good luck

towert7 said:
I have the DT770pro 250ohm version, and the "Darth Beyer" 80ohm (which is a modified DT770pro 80ohm).
I have not heard the new 2005 versions though (yet).

Most people agree that the DT770pro 80ohm version is a more balanced version of the DT770pro 250ohm. They say the 80ohm has a little less bass, more mids, and less highs.
The DT770M uses fake leather ear pads and has a inline volume control in the cable, so many people avoid it.

Most people also say that the new DT770 2005 edition are even more balanced (less fun?) than the older DT770pro's. They say there is less bass and more mids still.

Some people say they prefer the new DT770 2005 edition, and others prefer the older DT770pro 80ohm. I'm not sure which you would prefer.

If you do not need a closed headphone, the new DT990 2005 edition is also an option. There are people buying them for 180$us new from bhphoto.com

You can get the DT770pro 250ohm from bhphoto for around 170$, and the DT770pro 80ohm for around 150$ from ebay or guitar center.

~Hope this helps, and good luck

Great info. I was a little concerned at how the different impedances might affect how my receiver drives them. I have a Harman Kardon 525.

The 80OHM version will sound fine out of the receiver. Mine does out of my old Sony ES Pre-amp.

I have the 80 ohm Darth Beyers and am waiting on Mr.X's Pint to arrive.

The pa2v2 is a piece of crap sorry to say. This comes straight from Larry at Headphile who makes the Darth Beyers and many other fine headphone modifications. The Little Dot Micro or one of Mr.Xs Pints or for the 250 ohm a PPA or a larger Dot, Creek or a Meier Corda Aria or Headfive amp.

Back