• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New hard disk too slow, what's wrong?

digifred

n00b
Joined
Jul 8, 2010
Messages
50
I just bought a new Samsung Spinpoint F3 to use as a system drive in my computer. I cloned the old disk to the new drive and when I boot up everything is slow. My OS is W7 HP x64 and my motherboard supports SATA 3Gbs. My BIOS settings should be fine but I just don't have any idea what is causing the problem. I partitioned with Parted Magic, changed the SATA cable but boot up and everything else is just way too slow. What can I do? Thanks!
 
Reformat and reinstall?

Or try a different cloning program? i.e Acronis True Image?
 
I just bought a new Samsung Spinpoint F3 to use as a system drive in my computer. I cloned the old disk to the new drive and when I boot up everything is slow. My OS is W7 HP x64 and my motherboard supports SATA 3Gbs. My BIOS settings should be fine but I just don't have any idea what is causing the problem. I partitioned with Parted Magic, changed the SATA cable but boot up and everything else is just way too slow. What can I do? Thanks!
543.jpg

Hmmmm... sounds like somekind of software problem...
 
Hmmmm... sounds like somekind of software problem...

Likely so. Some third-party partitioning software defaults to 512B (0.5kB) cluster sizes rather than Windows' (and Microsoft's) default 4kB cluster sizes when formatting using NTFS. The smaller clusters are now far more numerous, and it would take a lot longer to search multiple smaller clusters to find files that would have taken up fewer larger clusters.
 
I reinstalled windows but the problem persists. What do you suggest I do?

This is the data I have with MiniTool Partition wizard:
Sectors per Cluster: 8 (4096 bytes)
Sectors per File Record: 2 (1024 bytes)
Sectors per Index Record: 8 (4096 bytes)

Here are my boot times:
MainPathBootTime 69297
Boot Duration 154597ms raw
 
Last edited:
Completely wipe the hard drive and then reinstall the OS.
 
My new drive has an average access time of 28ms while my old one easely does around 13ms for small files. I'm going to check for bad sectors as well but this seems a bit odd. HDTune also reports sector sizes of 512 bytes for both disks. I'm tempted to wipe the disk completely as a poster suggested but if my new drive has a deffect there's no really much point to it. Anyway thanks for all the help already!
 
Check DMA settings. (Control Panel/DeviceManager/IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

Uncollapse then right-click each ATA channel, then Properties, Advanced settings. Confirm DMA mode is enabled and not PIO mode.
 
The first ATA channel has DMA mode enabled but the second doesn't show any information in the advances settings. There's "supported devices" set to 2 but the rest is blank.
 
I just bought a new Samsung Spinpoint F3 to use as a system drive in my computer. I cloned the old disk to the new drive and when I boot up everything is slow. My OS is W7 HP x64 and my motherboard supports SATA 3Gbs. My BIOS settings should be fine but I just don't have any idea what is causing the problem. I partitioned with Parted Magic, changed the SATA cable but boot up and everything else is just way too slow. What can I do? Thanks!

do a full windows clean reinstall from scratch the right way,its what you should have done in the first place,problem solved
 
Back
Top