New GTX 1080, Windows Rearranged After Hibernate/Monitors Turned Off

Sovereign

2[H]4U
I previously had a GTX 780 (non-Ti); Gigabyte Windforce version. This issue did not exist using that card.

I now have an eVGA 1080 on driver version 368.81. As of this post, these are the latest drivers found on the NVIDIA website released 7.14.16.

Any time I put the computer into hibernation OR simply switch off the monitors' power at the powerstrip while the computer remains on, I generally return to find that my windows are all over the place. Note that the Windows taskbar/"main" display remains correct, but everything else gets screwed up/resized.

I tried registry edits/deletes but that didn't solve anything. I've also tried to clean-install the drivers. Nothing changed.

Have you tried that driver remover thingy? I don't recall the name though. Other than that, what are the possibilities of re-installing windows?

Hmm my windows dont get resized but when in multiple monitor config, icons get lost or displaced in areas where I cant see them. I found that my issue revolves around Nvidia's way of managing multimon and sound through HDMI being seen as a monitor. Icons would disapear in the HDMI soundthrough monitor. Only way Ive been able to permantly fix that was to not use hdmi soundthrough connection.

Last edited:
I have this problem with my Maxwell Titan X + DP connection. Shrinks all my windows to 640x480, but maintains my desktop icon positions. Co-worker same problem with GTX 950 + DP connection.

I didn't have this issue with DVI, but gsync XB270HU is DP only.

I've gotten this issue a few times, coupled with the other issues over in this thread.

What I would see is that when Windows came up, the resolution would be super low, and then after 30 seconds or so would switch back to the proper resolution, but of course it would screw up all of my desktop icons.

I haven't had that happen for awhile now but it seemed to happen after I would switch DP ports (as part of trying to troubleshoot the other issues).

My DP connection only "disconnects" when the PC sleeps the monitor. I guess dvi/hdmi driver didn't disconnect like that. Clearly it's a software / os desktop management issue.

I did a clean driver reinstall ("Display Driver Uninstaller" is perhaps what was being referenced) in safe mode and all.

I'll see what happens after I hibernate my PC today, though it looks like this may be DP issue since my last card was DVI, DVI, HDMI rather than DP, DVI, HDMI.

This is an issue with the way Windows handles sleep mode on DP monitors. Basically, since DP acts like USB when devices are connected/disconnected, when monitors go to sleep or are turned off, Windows may remove the monitor for the system, thus defaulting to 800x600 (or 640x480, although mine seems to do the former) resolution. Now, Windows is smart enough to remember icon positions (most of the time), but not window positions. Thus, you get resized windows, or in multi-monitor usage, windows moving to the default monitor. Some drivers, like for Quadros, can be configured to force a resolution regardless of whether a monitor is plugged in or not, and thus workaround the issue, but the standard NVidia drivers do not.

I disable monitor sleep and use auto-hibernate instead, as I've never had this issue personally with hibernation. If you're having an issue with hibernation, I'd suggest adding a 1-2 second pause for POST in the BIOS. Should help the monitor come up completely before Windows does and therefore Windows will never know the monitor was disconnected.

Can confirm I get this too with my g-sync monitor and a DP connection. Happens to me once every few days (with a PC that's on 365/24/7 and with the monitor turned off half the time). What keshley said makes sense.

Test results: If Windows turns the monitors off (idle sleep) windows stay where they belong. If, however, I turn the monitors off manually by cutting power at the strip all the windows from the DP monitor end up on other screens. I've also noticed that if I tell the computer to hibernate and wait for it to power down completely, then kill power to the monitors, and make sure I power the screens back up before Windows resumes from hibernation things stay in the right spot. Since I have that LSI RAID card, it takes longer to initialize the array from hibernation than it does to resume Windows + programs so that isn't an issue.

How annoying on the DP monitor handling though. Is this an MS problem, an NVIDIA problem, or an actual hardware (can't be coded around) problem?

Thanks for the answers!

Similar issue with my ASUS 1070 Strix and Acer G-sync monitor.

My old monitor setup was an Asus 1080p via display port and an HP on DVI. Then I recently bought the Acer 1440p for the primary on DP and moved the ASUS to the secondary.

If I recall, I didn't have an issue when running this with my 970. It started happening when I got my ASUS 1070 Strix.

When the computer goes to sleep, either automatically or when I force it, any Windows on the secondary monitor are moved to the primary. My open Steam friends list, tuning software, etc.

Not too much of a big deal but kind of annoying.

It's an MS problem. Nvidia/AMD/whatever cards all can exhibit this behavior. However, other OSes handle window management better. As noted, not an issue with DVI since it's behavior is different.

In regards to monitor sleep, I think it depends on the monitor. My LG and Asus monitor connected to my 980 Ti (Or 980 before that, or 670 before that!) would sometimes cause the issue and sometimes not, probably depending on how fast the monitor came up after waking. Something like DisplayFusion can counteract some of the effects, but requires quite a bit of setup.

Back