• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New graphic card needed-advice please!

Bruce2

n00b
Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
40
Hi there,

One of my graphic cards show in my specs below went out last night. I believe the other one is possibly on its way too. I like to keep my unit for while.

I would like to hear some suggestions on a BEST VALUE card that will perform at least a little better then my old SLi cards. I don't need to spend a load to get one just comes out the market for my old rig.

Please keep in mind that a possible cpu upgrade to such as a Q9550 in the future; may be even another card for SLi when it became dirt cheap.

I appreciate any suggestions and pointers.

Bruce
 
I'm thinking a GTX 260 would be good and those can be found for about $200, sometimes a little less, now.
 
5850 is the lowest card I'd personally put in any gaming machine today. I wouldn't consider DX10/10.1 cards either. That's just me though, most guys would..
 
Just wait a couple months and get a 5850 or 5870, the prices should come down a bit.
 
Thanks guys!

I am not very confident about the oven solder reflowing thingy but it is pretty interesting though. I am going to go ahead to try a new one. The working 8800 left over goes into another unit for the little girl to play sims.

I am thinking of the GTX 260. Here is two I am looking at and like to know the different between them. One doesn't have any review at all but the price is good. Here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134077

Which one you would get?

As far as for the 5850, do you think my old rig would be a bottle neck comparing to some of your killer specs?

Thanks and hope to hear from you more.

Bruce
 
I am thinking of the GTX 260. Here is two I am looking at and like to know the different between them. One doesn't have any review at all but the price is good. Here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134077

Which one you would get?

Neither. The GTX 260 is a horrible choice for the money for the following reasons:
- The equally fast HD 4870 1GB is $13 cheaper than the ECS and with free shipping:
$157 - XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB PCI-E Video Card

- The significantly faster HD 4890 is $15 cheaper than the eVGA and with free shipping:
$200 - XFX HD-489X-ZSFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB PCI-E Video Card

So unless you can find a GTX 260 with lifetime warranty for under $155, the GTX 260 is not a good buy at all.
As far as for the 5850, do you think my old rig would be a bottle neck comparing to some of your killer specs?

Nah the current CPU is fine.
 
It's a big step up from the HD 4890 IIRC. Good price considering the prices for it I've seen for it in the past month or so.
 
Order completed on a 5850 HD-585A-ZNFC for $311 shipped!
Thanks for your help!
 
Last edited:
One more question, guys.

Is there going to be any compatibility issue between my EVGA mother board and the ATI gpu I am geting. a 5850?

Thanks!
Bruce
 
One more question, guys.

Is there going to be any compatibility issue between my EVGA mother board and the ATI gpu I am geting. a 5850?

Thanks!
Bruce
There shouldn't be. Make sure you completely remove your old drivers (use Driver Sweeper) before installing the ATI ones to avoid driver conflict issues.
 
Back
Top