New GPS Technology from Nike is a Winner

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Nike has released its new app for runners eliminating the bulky gear that was required and the shoes themselves. All you need now is an iPod or iPhone, a Nike app and you are off and running, literally.

The app works on both iPod touches and iPhones. Both have an accelerometer that can act as a pedometer to figure out how far you've actually run (a feature that works both in treadmill/elliptical situations and when you're actually hitting the streets or the track). If you're using it on an iPhone, you can use the GPS to record your route on a map.

I don't really see the point of this to be honest. Just go run. Better yet, go find a standard 400m oval track and practice doing 400m sprints and increase your 5k times.

They marketed this at the wrong crowd. They need to put it in kids shoes so, the parents can track their kids.

If you like to keep track of your progress while training, this is very usefull.
Running on a 200 meters or 400 meters track is boring, now you can just hop on the street and see what distance you can run in say, 30 minutes.

If you like to keep track of your progress while training, this is very usefull.
Running on a 200 meters or 400 meters track is boring, now you can just hop on the street and see what distance you can run in say, 30 minutes.

Why wouldn't you just use many of the android apps to track your running distance via GPS?

This isn't "new technology" at all. Both mapmyrun.com and mapmytracks.com have iphone apps that do the same thing. mapmyruns is not very reliable though. mapmytracks is great (app name: Outfront ), calculates average speed, distance ran, lets people see your progress live online (if you were running a marathon people could actually pull up a map of where you were at at any given moment if you wanted to allow it), all on the fly. If you loose your GPS connection it auto resumes later and estimates the distance it missed.

Its nice that Nike is joining the game but to call this new is really silly.

I don't really see the point of this to be honest. Just go run. Better yet, go find a standard 400m oval track and practice doing 400m sprints and increase your 5k times.

It's great for improving your time. I used runkeeper to shave at least 3 minutes off my mile over time. That brings up my point, runkeeper, adidas, and several other companies did this months if not years ago. The dongle thing was just a throwback to the ipod days where the device couldn't use GPS.

This would be terrific, but I killed an iPhone (moisture damage) while using the original (shoe lozenge-based) Nike+. Fortunately, I was able to get the phone replaced at the Apple Store.. But I'm never working out with it again!

A unified history based on a single device sounds like a winner for anyone who likes to hit the streets while travelling (unknown track distance) or has to head indoors for whatever reason (e.g. weather, controlled physiotherapy).

As long as you're content to never properly compare your oval and street times, then this tech isn't for you.

Why wouldn't you just use many of the android apps to track your running distance via GPS?
GPS is at best unreliable indoors and is patently useless in a stationary environment. That being said, I don't see why an equivalent Android app couldn't be built.

Bah, I would be impressed off my golf ball could be tracked on an android app.

That would be awesome, probably would not have to take as many lost ball penalties haha.

i have looked into this a little bit. i want golf balls with embeded micro RFID tags and then have a smartphone tracking app with real-time augmented reality display that shows the position/distance of your golf ball. no more lost balls...golf nirvana....ahhhh.

however it seems that even the most powerful RFID tags cannot be read over long distances...you have to be within a few feet/meters. and even then you would have to have some sort of accessory for your phone because you need a pretty strong transmitter to "ping" the RFID tags and find your golf ball. unless manufacturers start integrating RFID tag finders/readers into our smartphones...

anybody know of anything else that we could use to track our errant golf ballls? maybe RFID is not the answer? something stronger?

i have looked into this a little bit. i want golf balls with embeded micro RFID tags and then have a smartphone tracking app with real-time augmented reality display that shows the position/distance of your golf ball. no more lost balls...golf nirvana....ahhhh.

however it seems that even the most powerful RFID tags cannot be read over long distances...you have to be within a few feet/meters. and even then you would have to have some sort of accessory for your phone because you need a pretty strong transmitter to "ping" the RFID tags and find your golf ball. unless manufacturers start integrating RFID tag finders/readers into our smartphones...

anybody know of anything else that we could use to track our errant golf ballls? maybe RFID is not the answer? something stronger?

Easy cheap solution:

Get better at golf

Back