New Gaming build

SoulHunter

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, programing, internet
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I'd like to go no higher then 1200 with taxes and everything, but it doesn't look like it will be happening on an Intel build
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Cpu, Case, Video Card, Mobo, SSD, DVD writer, cooler, ram, hard drive
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
1920 by 1200
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
this week
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
usb 3, crossfire, usb 3 header
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 64bit

So final gave up on bulldozer who knows when it will be here, but I'm tired of waiting.
I am limited to Canada Computers, and the store on Rideau (stock is shown on the site). Unless someone can show me lower prices elsewhere. SSD probably won't fit in the budget but I am willing to compromise for it.
This is what I have now.
Cooler Master Hyper 212 26.99
i5-2500K 229.99
Seagate 1TB HDD 49.99
Corsair TX750M 109.99
Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3 134.99
G-Skill 1333Mhz 8Gig 49.99
Power Color 6950 1Gb 229.99
Corsair 400R Case 99.99
BitFenix Spectre All White 140mm Case Fan (Want to add to the top of my case, is it worth it?) 10.99
Crucial M4 120 GB SSD (If it ever comes in stock, if not any other good SSD that are not Intel(too expensive) on the market?, do I really need 120 GB is it easy to manage 60 GB?) 209.99
Samsung 19.99

So is Power color good? it's the cheapest 6950 on there by a long shot so if it will work well I'd like to take that one

Looks like a pretty good build. You could drop down to a 650 watt PSU if you wanted to save a few bucks - nothing in that config would require 750. Personally, I don't recommend going below 120GB for an OS/apps/games SSD, but others disagree with that opinion - I think it is too much of a hassle to manage the free space on a 64GB drive, especially if you like to play more than one game at a time. It's not hard to move games back and forth (especially with Steam), but I'm just lazy that way - I'd rather not have to fool with it. I would stick with either the M4 or the Intel, if you decide to go SSD though.

That Gigabyte board doesn't have UEFI, if that matters at all to you. MSI, Asus, and ASRock all do. Not a big deal, but something to know.

check out the newegg deals with the Gigabyte motherboard and Corsair memory. I just ordered the z68xp-ud3 motherboard with 8gb 1600 mhz of corsair memory for $153 shipped. It was a deal that finally made me cave in to the upgrade bug.

check out the newegg deals with the Gigabyte motherboard and Corsair memory. I just ordered the z68xp-ud3 motherboard with 8gb 1600 mhz of corsair memory for $153 shipped. It was a deal that finally made me cave in to the upgrade bug.

That's a pretty good deal.

@ SteveMachine: Nice, but I don't think the deal is still on do, or it might be US only

The 750 is only 10$ more then the 650 so that's why I'm going that route. Are the Asus P8P67 still bad because there is no MSI at Canada Computers and last I heard AsRock wasn't great, unless that has changes or was never true.

Are the Asus P8P67 still bad because there is no MSI at Canada Computers and last I heard AsRock wasn't great, unless that has changes or was never true.

Yeah the Asus P67 mobos aren't recommended around here due to their stability issues. AsRock quality is good but the problem is their rather confusing warranty terms. We don't know for sure that they have a one or two year warranty on their motherboards. If it's one year, I wouldn't recommend them. If two, maybe if you absolutely have to have a UEFI BIOs. Otherwise, I'd recommend MSI or Gigabyte.

Probably will just go with Gigabyte then, supposed to create an uefi bios some day. Gona wait for the M4 too I guess because there is nothing else that is good out there right? Beside Intel, but they are too expensive.

Back