New Fortron 700w

Oklahoma Wolf

PSU Warranty Voider
Looks like the new Fortron 700w SSI unit has arrived, at least under Aopen's name:

http://www.actbuy.com/details.asp?item=AO17700

4x15A @ 12v, combined limit 50A.

The price seems just a wee bit high, but should come down I hope when Fortron starts bringing out their Epsilons supposedly late this year or early next year. Should be some good competition for the Silverstone/Enhance/Akasa 650w, but I find myself wishing they'd brought out a single 12v version too.

Competition to the Silverstone/Enhance/Akasa 650W units, which are all EPS12V units, right? Doesn't the EPS12V spec require split-12V rail output? Just for that reason alone, I don't see single-rail versions coming out anytime soon, if ever. ;)

_Korruption_ said:
Competition to the Silverstone/Enhance/Akasa 650W units, which are all EPS12V units, right? Doesn't the EPS12V spec require split-12V rail output?

Yeah :(

Fortron is marketing this whole line as additional offerings to their EPS lineup above the FSP550-60PLG/PLN models. They go from 550w-700w, each with 4 12v rails.

_Korruption_ said:
Doesn't the EPS12V spec require split-12V rail output? Just for that reason alone, I don't see single-rail versions coming out anytime soon, if ever. ;)

at least 3 X +12V rails under the current SSI spec

EPS12V 6.1.1 12V Power Rail Configuration

There are two types of 12V rail configurations for systems: 'Common plane' and "Split plane' processor power delivery. The 'common plane' system has both processors powered from a single 12V rail (+12V1) from the power supply. The 'split plane' system has both processors powered by seperate 12V rails (+12V1 and +12V2) one dedicated to each processor. The system in both cases, has an additional 12V rail to power the rest of the baseboard +12V loads and dc/dc converters. +12V1, +12V2 and +12V3 should not be connected together on the baseboard to ensure that 240VA protection circuits in the power supply operate properly
Table 6: 12V Rail Summary
........................................................................................................................................................................................
Common Plane System........................................................Split Plane System
+12V1........Processors.........................................................+12V1........Processor 1
+12V2........Baseboard components other than processors.......+12V2........Processor 2
+12V3........Drives and peripherals..........................................+12V3........Baseboards components other than processors
...........................................................................................+12V4........Drives and peripherals

Seems like this would be a GREAT powersupply for a box with lots of hard drives.

Back