New Elder Scrolls 6 screenies

New Vegas brought that but it was still not enough. There's just too much garbage in Bethesda games.

Like what?

With all the money they are making you'd think they would be able to hire better developers but i guess when you have an incompetent moron like Todd Howard in charge you can't expect too much.

Definitely a mixed bag.
 
I don't have internet, so I can't Google it, but... I think Obsidian might have made New Vegas.
 
I don't have internet, so I can't Google it, but... I think Obsidian might have made New Vegas.

Yes, which is what i meant. New Vegas had more polished RPG mechanics and better writing and quests then Fallout 3, but they still couldn't fix the gameplay, and the engine (and everything in it: textures, models, animations etc.) still sucked. I wished Bethesda would turn their franchises to more competent developing teams. They work much better as publishers then developers.
 
Most those screens look good except the last one with the wolf, what the hell is going on with his arm and hand?

I hope they pull off a more interesting and entertaining combat system than the previous games. I'm dying to play an RPG that doesn't have an arse of a combat system.

From the information that's been released so far it definitely sounds like combat will be improved. I have hope. :D

Oh hell no :p If you want your party based RPG go play one of the many Bioware RPGs. To me I just can't see how an entertaining combat system can revolve around a party based system with retard AI (and lets face it, almost all AI is pretty retarded).

QFMFT. Solo play is what TES is about. Those wanting MP/Co-op/Parties etc should be able to find plenty of other games offering that.
 
Yes, which is what i meant. New Vegas had more polished RPG mechanics and better writing and quests then Fallout 3, but they still couldn't fix the gameplay, and the engine (and everything in it: textures, models, animations etc.) still sucked. I wished Bethesda would turn their franchises to more competent developing teams. They work much better as publishers then developers.

I actually like all the Bethesda RPGS and even New Vegas was probably my most favorite game of 2010.

Bethesda has faults and they are human but I haven't seen any other team bring together all the elements of an action RPG together quite as well as Bethesda.
 
I actually like all the Bethesda RPGS and even New Vegas was probably my most favorite game of 2010.

Bethesda has faults and they are human but I haven't seen any other team bring together all the elements of an action RPG together quite as well as Bethesda.

Yeah, not too many people can pull off a seamless huge open world game. What else is there? Just Cause 2, anything else?

Definitely a mixed bag.

Yeah, definitely a mixed bag. Todd Howard is a console fanboy (and he said as much, well he didn't say "fanboy" but 360 his his favorite). I fear his main concerns are only to make sure the game plays smooth and simple on a 360 controller. But on the other hand I do like his vision for a "do what you want" first person action RPG. I'm glad he's been keeping Bethseda to that core. And he hasn't jumped ship for some "great new idea" to change course with TES and ruin the series by implementing something detrimental. If it was someone else steering the ship, we might have a linear RPG with 20 hours of total gameplay even though it supports multiplayer deathmatch.
 
Yeah, not too many people can pull off a seamless huge open world game. What else is there? Just Cause 2, anything else?

I'm going to repeat a point several of us have made a few times about this game.

It's fantastic and the engine it runs on is fantastic and I, for one, would LOVE to see that engine get used for RPGs and any number of other genres.




Yeah, definitely a mixed bag. Todd Howard is a console fanboy (and he said as much, well he didn't say "fanboy" but 360 his his favorite).

I can believe it. It shows.


I fear his main concerns are only to make sure the game plays smooth and simple on a 360 controller. But on the other hand I do like his vision for a "do what you want" first person action RPG. I'm glad he's been keeping Bethseda to that core. And he hasn't jumped ship for some "great new idea" to change course with TES and ruin the series by implementing something detrimental. If it was someone else steering the ship, we might have a linear RPG with 20 hours of total gameplay even though it supports multiplayer deathmatch.

Agreed.
 
Yeah, not too many people can pull off a seamless huge open world game.

They are the only ones doing it. That's not the same thing as saying they are the only ones who can. For some inexplicable reason other companies just haven't seen the value of open ended sand-box fantasy RPGs, so Bethesda have nobody to compete with. Its probably because all the attention now is on consoles, so nobody is taking into consideration the potential commercial value of a genre which is still attached to the PC platform. Bethesda are an anomaly because when Todd "i love consoles" Howard took control of the company when they already had the series in their hands.

But on the other hand I do like his vision for a "do what you want" first person action RPG.

That's not his vision. Elder of Scrolls existed before he ever came on board. Everything he did to the series has been to its detriment. What you said though brings out an important point. People who play Bethesda games, and like them, are mostly fans of the first person perspective and know very little of RPGs. This is why Todd Howard is able to get away with mediocre products and still be successful. Obviously if all you've been playing has been first person shooters a game like Oblivion is going to look very impressive. Whatever flaw the game may have (bad visuals, bad gameplay and so forth) is going to be overlooked because of the sheer scope of the game. Ok certain elements aren't as polished as other shooters, but there's so much to do in the game!

Alas, those of us who look at the game as an RPG rather then as a shooter simply cannot overlook those flaws.
 
For the love of God, Bethesda, don't make us jump through hoops to switch between the map, inventory, and quest log. Make them each accessible by single, remappable keys.
 
They are the only ones doing it. That's not the same thing as saying they are the only ones who can. For some inexplicable reason other companies just haven't seen the value of open ended sand-box fantasy RPGs, so Bethesda have nobody to compete with. Its probably because all the attention now is on consoles, so nobody is taking into consideration the potential commercial value of a genre which is still attached to the PC platform. Bethesda are an anomaly because when Todd "i love consoles" Howard took control of the company when they already had the series in their hands.

That's not his vision. Elder of Scrolls existed before he ever came on board. Everything he did to the series has been to its detriment. What you said though brings out an important point.

Game devs can't have their cake and eat it too. A positive here is often a sacrifice elsewhere, especially when budgets are tight and the economy isn't an easy ride. It's not easy to make a tight and strong Bioware class story in a huge open world. It's not easy making "real" Bioware-esqe NPCs with unique quality voice acting with 100's or 1000's of NPC's in a world. It's hard spend all your time on amazing textures and models and animations and make it a non-linear world. Devs have to make choices. When you make a game, you can't make it all even though most devs would sincerely love to given the resources. The bankrollers know differently.

I'm not one to defend Todd Howard, but he could have changed the direction of a series handed to him. (You could argue that Redguard was his flop of idea to take the series in another direction... I don't know... maybe it wasn't him) Oblivion had it's flaws, but people seem to forget that Bethesda is getting better about those flaws (if you played Fallout 3).


People who play Bethesda games, and like them, are mostly fans of the first person perspective and know very little of RPGs. This is why Todd Howard is able to get away with mediocre products and still be successful. Obviously if all you've been playing has been first person shooters a game like Oblivion is going to look very impressive. Whatever flaw the game may have (bad visuals, bad gameplay and so forth) is going to be overlooked because of the sheer scope of the game. Ok certain elements aren't as polished as other shooters, but there's so much to do in the game!

Alas, those of us who look at the game as an RPG rather then as a shooter simply cannot overlook those flaws.

Some people who play Oblivion know little about RPGs. Some lovers of Neverwinter Nights know little of RPGs too. Linear stories are not good examples pure RPG. And how 'pure' a game is to being an RPG is not what defines the quality of a game. I can't see how any recent Bioware game is any more RPG than Oblivion is.

(personally I think RPG has been stripped of any tangible meaning by the purists as well as the action adventure shooter crowd.) RPG has nothing to do with whether a story is crappy or not or whether combat is determined by dice rolling or not.
 
oh no another elder scrolls borefest. They should make these games use the same mechanics as Mass Effect. Otherwise it runs like a Jogging Simulator with some awful annoyingly wooden and lifeless voice actors on Chuck-e-cheese style animatronic heads.
Can you tell I hate Elderly Scrolls?
 
If you want to play Mass Effect, then play Mass Effect?

Correct. Oblivion was for it's time on of the best games out there and it sold over 2 Million copies on the pc alone which was almost as good as the home consoles, I bet over it's lifetime it probably outsold the consoles simply since many of the console players rebought it on pc for the mods.
 
Back
Top