New Egg shows 290 as available now but...

There is no problem. AMD never announced it would be out anytime before now so there is no holdup. Too many sites are rumour-mongering and people are eating that crap up for breakfast and shitting it out as fact the other side :/

What about the big meeting in Hawaii? Seems like AMD was gearing up to get these cards out soon. I don't think Newegg would go through all the work of getting the card ready to sell unless they had information about its availability. Seems late to me.

There's been no announcement of release date publicly /shrug

Please don't buy into rumors, you'll live happier

There's been no announcement of release date publicly /shrug

Please don't buy into rumors, you'll live happier

Huh interesting....And we know the cards are in reviewers hands.

Curious what they are waiting for.

Must be hard for huge vendors like Newegg to sit on video cards waiting for the OK from AMD.

From the link I posted it appears that Newegg has the 290 model in their possession getting ready to release it to the masses.

Huh interesting....And we know the cards are in reviewers hands.

Curious what they are waiting for.

For us to review them and the NDA to lift, just as it normally goes for every sing video card review ever in the history of video cards. Nothing is different about this launch, other than the fact you know the brand names already. I know you guys want the hardware instantly, but I need time to review it first, these things aren't made in a day :p

AMD stock has taken a big crap over the weekend. Looks like they might hit a 3 month low.

I still think there is some kind of a problem going on with the 290 series.

It might be a good day to buy stock. :D

Last edited:
Perhaps the government shutdown delayed their passage through customs? Maybe the shipments are trickling in, , and there aren't enough cards in country for a proper launch yet?

For us to review them and the NDA to lift, just as it normally goes for every sing video card review ever in the history of video cards. Nothing is different about this launch, other than the fact you know the brand names already. I know you guys want the hardware instantly, but I need time to review it first, these things aren't made in a day :p

Understandable, specially when you guys are now adding 4k benchmarks to your review set....You must be going threw alot of coffee 0_o

If the stock gets down to $2.00 I'm going to buy some stock instead of a 290x. :D

Or maybe.... 290 is code word for stock share price to buy. $2.90 a share could be the big winner. triple my money in 3 months?

I just want to play with a new video card. Rumored 290 sounds cool. :(

Understandable, specially when you guys are now adding 4k benchmarks to your review set....You must be going threw alot of coffee 0_o

Every, single, bit, of, my, time, from, start, to, finish, literally. I haven't shaved, I've been ordering take out, I've been in my pajamas 24/7, I only have time to eat, poop, shower, and get a few hours of sleep.

Every, single, bit, of, my, time, from, start, to, finish, literally. I haven't shaved, I've been ordering take out, I've been in my pajamas 24/7, I only have time to eat, poop, shower, and get a few hours of sleep.

Good luck and godspeed.

Has your poop been well formed?

The cards haven't been released yet cause AMD is scared of Nvidia, which basically means their cards are about the same speed but AMDs were going to marketed at a lower rate but AMD fears that Nvidia will lower prices.

AMD is PUSSSY

The cards haven't been released yet cause AMD is scared of Nvidia, which basically means their cards are about the same speed but AMDs were going to marketed at a lower rate but AMD fears that Nvidia will lower prices.

AMD is PUSSSY

I don't buy this. If you look at AMD pricing for the last year you will see that AMD has offered some great pricing and good free game bundles. AMD has been winning the war on selling great hardware for cheap. NVIDIA on the other hand.... IMO.... has been sucking the blood out of their market as much as possible.

I really don't think AMD is worried about pricing. I think NVIDIA is the one that needs to worry about AMD's pricing. NVIDIA is the big dog with the Tittan and the rumors are that this new 290x card is going to pounce on the Titan for much less money.

I think the challenge for AMD is getting out this 290x for alot less money than the Titan and beating it not only in price but also in performance. NVIDIA is the one that needs watch their step.

Of the many threads about the 290 launch this is the least interesting or informative, well done OP. Having said that, I couldn't help but buy two used 7950s as I cbf waiting for AMD to launch. Then again I would have bought a nvidia 7xx card if they had decent price/performance, so neither side is doing particularly well with their new products IMHO.

I don't care anymore since I bought the Asus 280x. That's fine for me and I'm fairly positive the 290 will be at least $449 to $499 which I'm not going for. Though it would be interesting to know WHEN it will actually come out.

I'm betting the NDA will be lifted tommrow as most things are released on Tuesday. Plus Bret only taking time to poop to get the review done means its sooner then later. I'm sure if it was anoughter week away he wouldnt be benching non stop.

I'm betting the NDA will be lifted tommrow as most things are released on Tuesday. Plus Bret only taking time to poop to get the review done means its sooner then later. I'm sure if it was anoughter week away he wouldnt be benching non stop.

Brent only /shrug once so that means one more day. Half Life 3 baby!

If the stock gets down to $2.00 I'm going to buy some stock instead of a 290x. :D

Or maybe.... 290 is code word for stock share price to buy. $2.90 a share could be the big winner. triple my money in 3 months?

I just want to play with a new video card. Rumored 290 sounds cool. :(

Half-Life 3 confirmed.

What threw me off like a lot of others is how long ago Newegg listed the 290x cards on their site. They usually never do that until they are going to be available for purchase the next day and putting them up as "coming soon" almost three weeks prior they've never done that I can remember. The BF4 bundled 290x cards were also suppose to be pre-orders so I expected AMD to start selling them soon after the Hawaii unveiling but it seems AMD changed their mind or something held them up.

AMD did actual pre orders in the UK and other regions, not sure why they didn't do them in US.

Either way this card has generated more attention than any other AMD launch in quite awhile... so I guess the marketing strategy is working?

Wouldn't you want to release before bf4 hits? I don't get it... So people could upgrade before it hits and be ready for it, and if you do it early enough maybe they could get a bit of supply out there too. For when people are like oh shit i need to upgrade naow... if its out of stock they might lose a sale to the other guy.

Wouldn't you want to release before bf4 hits? I don't get it... So people could upgrade before it hits and be ready for it, and if you do it early enough maybe they could get a bit of supply out there too. For when people are like oh shit i need to upgrade naow... if its out of stock they might lose a sale to the other guy.

I am sure that they would like to have it out before hand...but you always want a big title to release a new piece of hardware with.

My money is still on the R290x to be released when BF4 drops the week after next.

BF4 drops next week on the 29th and PC users who pre-ordered through Origin will be able to preload a couple of days early. I don't know why AMD is still waiting to launch but if they don't release here in the next couple of days they're going to miss their boat because people are going to want to have time to get their PC upgrade put together and start loading BF4 for 12:00 AM launch next Tuesday.

Put me in the column of wanting to know what pricing will be. I have a new build just completed, but no card and I'd really like to know what $$ I'm looking at. The rumor mill and hype associated with benches being shown but no pricing is a bit frustrating.

BF4 drops next week on the 29th and PC users who pre-ordered through Origin will be able to preload a couple of days early. I don't know why AMD is still waiting to launch but if they don't release here in the next couple of days they're going to miss their boat because people are going to want to have time to get their PC upgrade put together and start loading BF4 for 12:00 AM launch next Tuesday.

I would also venture a guess as to the timing of the announcements from AMD and Nvidia. I am sure AMD heard the rumors of Nvidia dropping something to compete (The 780ti) and wanted to wait a few more days. Gotta love the marketing departments in these companies.

It's a clever (-_-) ploy by Nvidia.
By keep hinting at a release of a new 7XX card, Nvidia has managed to prevent AMD from releasing 290/X. And Nvidia shall keep on hinting at the release of a new 7XX card or two until Maxwells are ready.

Perhaps we'll get to see 290/x finally released before this time next year.

BF4 comes in one week from tomorrow, so my bet it will release tomorrow.

Bolded for confirmed NDA lift date. Looking forward to the review tomorrow :)

Seriously hoping to see something at midnight tonight. I've been using a 6970 for quite some time and I'm starting to feel the upgrade itch.

i would assume rdqlus was kidding, as that is not what the expression means.

o_O I'm staying up till midnight tonight (ok so I always do but still)!

Bolded for confirmed NDA lift date. Looking forward to the review tomorrow :)

Actually, that is the first thing I thought as soon as I read Brent's statement..It's only 1:55 mins until 12 AM EST..I can make it that long..:D

I wish I had your problems.

Back