New drivers on AMD site

Anyone test these with crossfire 5870's? Curious if they still have the issue where the 2nd gpu isnt being read in CCC correctly. Missing temp readings and gpu usage.

What is everyone's issues? For the most part mine are problem free except a stutter I get on COD4 but not in COD5.

I really don't have any issues with this card in anyway what so ever.

9.11 Beta have a bit of performance drop in Crysis, but thats 1-2fps ..

reverting back to official 5870 driver.

and no, RE 5 still not fix yet..

WTF is ATI doing...

DAMN! The stupid Temp and gpu activity still stop working on the 2nd card with these drivers. What is AMD doing? The RC6 work fine but get stutters in games. So annoying.

EDIT: These also artifact all to hell in Vantage. My RC6 drivers didn't do this. :(

EDIT: Crap were can I get the RC6 driver at? I must have deleted it. Trying to reinstall lol

Last edited:
I have no idea what to say to that. Some 20+ websites reviewed these cards in numerous games with and without crossfire, and i dont remember any of them having the problems your having. One would think if it was a common problem you would have read about it. Thats not to say you have not stumbled across a problem that not been reported yet. However, these cards have been available for two weeks and people are already screaming foul. condsidering AMD just released new drivers today (hence the thread) it would seem to me they are doing something. I'm with NKD, i'm having no issues whatsoever. If i can do it, so can you:D

I have no idea what to say to that. Some 20+ websites reviewed these cards in numerous games with and without crossfire, and i dont remember any of them having the problems your having. One would think if it was a common problem you would have read about it. Thats not to say you have not stumbled across a problem that not been reported yet. However, these cards have been available for two weeks and people are already screaming foul. condsidering AMD just released new drivers today (hence the thread) it would seem to me they are doing something. I'm with NKD, i'm having no issues whatsoever. If i can do it, so can you:D

? There are many having this problem. Some didn't even know the 2nd GPU wasnt showing temps or activity until I told them to look. There is a thread in another forum about the issue as well. It has to be drivers. RC6 are back on my machine and its back to normal.

EDIT: Here are a few ppl having the issue.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1458683

is it possible they are overheating or not getting enough power? i'm not trying to be a wiseguy, just trying to shed some light. You probably have already over those things already. I looked at the link you posted, and yea, your right others are having issues. The question remains though... is why was that not picked up in the reviews. Do you have the problems in crossfire only in certain games, or is it pretty much all the time? The only issue/non issue i have encountered at all is when i ran 3dmark vantage. It ran perfectly, but when it finished my overall score was 0. Pleny of reviewers ran Vantage though with no issue so i'm not sure why i got 0.

is it possible they are overheating or not getting enough power? i'm not trying to be a wiseguy, just trying to shed some light. You probably have already over those things already. I looked at the link you posted, and yea, your right others are having issues. The question remains though... is why was that not picked up in the reviews. Do you have the problems in crossfire only in certain games, or is it pretty much all the time? The only issue/non issue i have encountered at all is when i ran 3dmark vantage. It ran perfectly, but when it finished my overall score was 0. Pleny of reviewers ran Vantage though with no issue so i'm not sure why i got 0.

Temps are great on this thing and keep in mind my RC6 drivers are working perfectly. I dont get any corruption in Vantage or any of my games. I get a slight stutter in COD4 but not sure if its lag in the game or not. I know a few ppl are running into this problem so hopefully AMD fixes it or I will be going back to Nvidia. I know when I had the RC7 the performance increase was noticeable and the games were smoother so I want that just like everyone else wants an updated driver that performs better but I can't run it with that issue.

EDIT: Found a thread about 5870 issues in the ATI forum. I am going to post this in there. I tried to post just now but when I login then click on the forum section it logs me right back out. Guess the site is having an issue. It only showed 6 ppl in the forums out of the 28K registered users.

EDIT EDIT: Reloading the old driver for some reason fixed the stutter I had in COD4. All games running perfectly smooth now. Wierd!

Last edited:
I dont have crossfire so i really dont know what your going through. I hope it all gets worked out for you. I can understand why anyone would be frustrated. Its not a small investment buying cards like this, and you just want them to run right the first time. AMD has a winner with these cards and i dont think they are gonna sit idly by and not correct any issues. considering the number of success full reviews, i think that anyone having issues have to be in the minority. AMD wont be able to fix everything through drivers. From what i have read so far, so of the problems are confirmed OS issues, and other with specific games like RE5.

EDIT. I just read your edit, i'm glad you got it worked out!

I dont have crossfire so i really dont know what your going through. I hope it all gets worked out for you. I can understand why anyone would be frustrated. Its not a small investment buying cards like this, and you just want them to run right the first time. AMD has a winner with these cards and i dont think they are gonna sit idly by and not correct any issues. considering the number of success full reviews, i think that anyone having issues have to be in the minority. AMD wont be able to fix everything through drivers. From what i have read so far, so of the problems are confirmed OS issues, and other with specific games like RE5.

EDIT. I just read your edit, i'm glad you got it worked out!

Thx, sorry to vent on you guys but its frustrating. I feel like I am back in the same situation I was in with my 4870x2 when it came out. I am gonna stick it out and see what happens. I have always been a big fan of AMD/ATI so I really want to support them.

I know i'm gonna get flamed for this.........so here it goes. I'm not what you would consider an ATI fanboy but i prefer ATI cards over Nvidia's because of the drivers. Before you all go nuts on me, my opinion is based on my personal expiriences, not anything i have read or seen somewhere else. Its my opinion that around the time the 9700 pro came out, ATI really started getting serious about improving thier drivers, and nvidia started going in the other direction. Since that time i have owned an 8800gt, and while i consider it a great card, it still had its driver issues. My X800pro, X1800xt, 4850, and now 5850 have all run perfect with no issues. Nvidia makes good hardware, with good features. For me though, they cost to much, for little or no gains in performance over ATI, with more issues in the drivers. Personally i like the trend right now in the industry. All this competition is forcing Both companies to make better cards at lower prices. For once we dont have to spend over $300 for enthusiast hardware!

Is anyone able to run Call of Duty 4 through Steam for the multiplayer on it? The single-player loads, but multiplayer crashes immediately on launch with an "iwmp.exe has stopped working" pop-up :(. I'm on the 9.9 drivers RC6, would these new ones help my issue? Street Fighter 4 works perfectly for me right now. I'm running Vista x64 SP1.

Is anyone able to run Call of Duty 4 through Steam for the multiplayer on it? The single-player loads, but multiplayer crashes immediately on launch with an "iwmp.exe has stopped working" pop-up :(. I'm on the 9.9 drivers RC6, would these new ones help my issue? Street Fighter 4 works perfectly for me right now. I'm running Vista x64 SP1.

no idea about steam version, but my disk version works fine..

I can't answer your question about COD4 unfortunately, but could you tell me whether your street fighter 4 had any issues in the past with your 5870?

For me, whenever i try to load up the game, i get a runtime error. :(

Btw, does anyone have any kind of guesstimate as to how long it'll take for the AMD drivers to become good enough to the point where 98% of the games out there have zero issues with the new cards?

I can't answer your question about COD4 unfortunately, but could you tell me whether your street fighter 4 had any issues in the past with your 5870?

For me, whenever i try to load up the game, i get a runtime error. :(

Btw, does anyone have any kind of guesstimate as to how long it'll take for the AMD drivers to become good enough to the point where 98% of the games out there have zero issues with the new cards?

I haven't installed the drivers from this thread, but no, I haven't had any issues with the 5870 and Street Fighter 4 in the past. I'm going to try the new ones and see if they fix my COD4 issue, and will let you know if they bork my SF4 or not.

EDIT: Turned out to be my Xfi driver, I had installed the wrong one (no 4GB or more RAM support) from awhile back on my recent reformat, instead of the custom ones I had been using.

EDIT2: I'm having the same occasional quick stutter that someone else mentioned... I'm on a speedy SSD too :eek: . I haven't ever installed the freebie COD5 that was bundled with one of my video cards, debating doing so. Framerate on COD4 even in the heaviest of firefights is a minimum of 55-65 FPS with 4x AA set in-game, I'm impressed... my GTX 280 would often bog down some to the high 20's/low 30's.

Last edited:
Does this version have the same stupid bug as the last beta (i think it was that RC6 you are talking about), which sometimes made the mouse cursor 4x bigger, thus making it unusable because it was way too big to use, it usually covered a whole toolbar icon :D?

Installing now to see if it affects an NFS Shift issue I'm having where the crash filter when slamming a barrier causes my framerate to go down to 5-10 for a couple of seconds before going back to the normal 40+. I'll check SF4 too and report back...

EDIT: SF4 works fine with these new ones too. Checking NFS Shift for a few minutes...

EDIT2: A quick crash later, I have confirmed they did fix my NFS Shift issue :)!

EDIT3: After trying a bunch fo crashes, I finally had a 2-3 second hitch before it worked fine again, right after a crash... still much improved and perfectly playable anyway, I doubt I'd crash that much in normal racing ;).

Last edited:
This is exactly what i was talking about. One guy says its the drivers, then reinstalls them and everything works fine. Another says its the drivers and then finds out its his sound card. Yet another says its the drivers and finds out its a vista memory leak. On top of all that a good chunk of the people that are left with driver issues are running Vista 64-bit. Would it not make sense to be absolutely sure what the culprit is before you logon in and say $*&$*& ATI and thier #)*$&#%^ drivers?! I have the HIS Radeon 5850 and was running the standard 9.9 catlyst drivers that came out last week or so. I have run NFS:shift, COD 4, Batman: Arkum Asylum, BF2, BF2142, HL2, Flatout, Morrowind with graphics extender, and Stalker without any issue.

This is exactly what i was talking about. One guy says its the drivers, then reinstalls them and everything works fine. Another says its the drivers and then finds out its his sound card. Yet another says its the drivers and finds out its a vista memory leak. On top of all that a good chunk of the people that are left with driver issues are running Vista 64-bit. Would it not make sense to be absolutely sure what the culprit is before you logon in and say $*&$*& ATI and thier #)*$&#%^ drivers?! I have the HIS Radeon 5850 and was running the standard 9.9 catlyst drivers that came out last week or so. I have run NFS:shift, COD 4, Batman: Arkum Asylum, BF2, BF2142, HL2, Flatout, Morrowind with graphics extender, and Stalker without any issue.

Yeah, its true that its not always the drivers fault.

Though there is one case I am sure it is, and that is with The Witcher.... a community manager on the AMD forums confirmed it. He/she said AMD is aware of the issues... i assume they're working on fixing them. :)

Also, take a breather, not everyone is bashing AMD drivers and solely blaming them here. :rolleyes: But don't pretend like they're perfect either.

I hope your not referring to my issue because it is still a driver problem. I am stuck using one driver that works and not getting the performance benefit of the newer releases. Reinstalling only seemed to smooth out the hitch I was getting in COD4.

I hope your not referring to my issue because it is still a driver problem. I am stuck using one driver that works and not getting the performance benefit of the newer releases. Reinstalling only seemed to smooth out the hitch I was getting in COD4.

Yeah I tried the new drivers too and got the same problem as I get with RC7 as well. Went back to RC6 and it's all fine again. Really wish they'd make sure their drivers are working before they put them up as recommended.

Both cards temperatures and usage % show up in my CCC. Don't know what the problem you are having is.

I know this may seem small but in the Windows 7 performance score. With the RC6 drivers I get 7.8 with the RC7 drivers I get 6.0 that doesn't seem like a good sign to me.

I know this may seem small but in the Windows 7 performance score. With the RC6 drivers I get 7.8 with the RC7 drivers I get 6.0 that doesn't seem like a good sign to me.

I got about 1k lower score on vantage with the new drivers too. I'm still running vista 64 so I'm capped at 5.9 can't compare for that.

I get 6.0 with a single 5870 and 6.0 with crossfire so I wouldn't put much faith in that win bench.

Both cards temperatures and usage % show up in my CCC. Don't know what the problem you are having is.

My temp on my 2nd GPU shows up for the first 10-20 seconds then it goes to 0%. Did you watch it to see if it drops? There are some others in this forum having the issue as well as multiple other threads about the issue. I posted it on ATI's site to see if it can be fixed. I am wondering if its a combination of cards.. I have one Power color with an Asus bios and one XFX card with its stock bios. Just funny that RC6 works fine.

I'm having a pretty big problem. I swapped my 4890 for a 5850 and I can't get it working. I uninstalled the 4890 from the control panel and deleted the AMD folder from my HDD. I replaced the video card with the 5850 and installed the newest drivers. I'm running Windows 7 64bit and upon reboot the pc blue screened and restarted. I deleted the AMD folder and tried using the RC6 drivers as well as the drivers on the Saphire cd. They all blue screened and rebooted. Any ideas?

Deleting folders doesn't remove residuals from the registry. Use a driver cleaner....see 3DGuru for some examples, like Revo Uninstaller, driver sweeper, etc.

Also have the 0% temp problem with 2nd card in xfire and now with these new drivers GPU-Z and Everest Ultimate crash the computer. Strange because everything else seems ok. Haven't had ATI cards in awhile and I hope their drivers don't always have issues. I hope it is just because it is a new GPU and they need time to get drivers right.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but seems to fix the DX10 issues with Anno 1404

Also have the 0% temp problem with 2nd card in xfire and now with these new drivers GPU-Z and Everest Ultimate crash the computer. Strange because everything else seems ok. Haven't had ATI cards in awhile and I hope their drivers don't always have issues. I hope it is just because it is a new GPU and they need time to get drivers right.

Can you tell me if your cards are both the same brand?

yea I hope ATI looks at this problem because I do use Everest to watch temps. Seems like a small problem.

yea I hope ATI looks at this problem because I do use Everest to watch temps. Seems like a small problem.

I like to run my fans as low as possible while still keeping good temps. I can do this with the RC6 driver but the other drivers dont allow me to use MSI to control that 2nd card. This is a big deal to me so hopefully they resolve it. I know I am doing my best to make them aware.

Back