New Driver 17.11.1

crazycrave

[H]ard|Gawd
AMD gave me a new driver today from there website for my Ryzen system. 17.11.1 and my 290x has gained more speed from this driver as it now sets at
Graphics Score 13 685 for Fire Strike and I have not even overclock this beast yet.

You can see how it compares to an overclocked 290x from July 2017 running 1150 core/1450 memory

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/13193663/fs/14037392#

The user updated his score and we both have the same mother board and cpu .. you can see my settings vs his and it shows there are areas of untapped performance Zen has yet to reveal to us just with memory speed and timings with AMD drivers going forward as his higher memory speed did not help vs my lower memory speed as the gains are gpu preformance.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/14037998/fs/14037392#

Last edited:
The scores are nice and I'm sure this is pretty good but what does it translate to ? I'm guessing you have a water cooled setup ;) .
The problem with videocard overclocks for me in general are that they amount to higher numbers but the end result tends to be not that impressive as a whole 60fps 10% more = 66fps and that would not matter for the most part in games.

I been testing my overclock for the 1400 after adding a Deep Blue GAMMAX 300R , the memory is still at 2400Mhz with XMP 2 so it can still be bumped yet and I don't know if that is my max for the cpu overclock at 1.38 v as it hit 60c .

Now you ask (I'm sure this is pretty good but what does it translate to ?) I have tied driver 17.10.1 and 17.10.3 and they all give the 290x around 13,100 Graphics Score no matter if the 1400 is overclock or not but the point I was making is 17.11.1 added around 500 points to the Graphics Score and that is a new base line score for a Sapphire Tri -X 290x New Edition running it's stock shipping clocks as most don't even know this card exist as it was released with the 390/390x and was the last 290x design as it does not throttle like early ref cards and shows what a 290x could of looked like in 2013.

Now find scores for the newer cards that are running shipping clocks as 13,685 for Hawaii at 1020Mhz gpu clock is amazing.

I still have all my hook ups for Eyeifinty for my 280 and my 290X.. but I sold 2 of my lcd's .......

The chart above shows what video cards score in Fire Strike for there shipping clocks .. 13,685 is huge for a 290x with 1020/1350 because the 390X ships with 1050/1500 clocks and should lay waste to the 980GTX now on a Ryzen platform.

Now I need to overclock the video card as it's a beast and this was released March 2015 and was all of the hard work fixing AMD screw ups with the 290X .. this is what the 290X was to look like in 2013 release and Nvidia would only counter with the 980GTX,, I bought it in 8-1-2015 new for $269 from newegg as I think this is some kind of 390X 4Gb model they never released
100361-4L

The new SAPPHIRE R9 290X Tri-X 4GB OC features the latest GCN (graphics core next) architecture from AMD with 2816 stream processing units and an enhanced engine clock of up to 1020Mhz. It is equipped with 4GB of the latest high performance GDDR5 memory on a 512-bit interface and now clocked at 1350 MHz (5.4GHz effective) delivering higher bandwidth than earlier models.The new SAPPHIRE R9 290X Tri-X 4GB OC is built on a SAPPHIRE original pcb design with the power upgraded to a 6-phase VDDC power design. Two 8-pin power connectors ensure adequate system power is available (up to 375 Watts total including PCI-Express power). 750 Watt Power Supply is required

Last edited:
I'm still using my R9 290X Tri X from sapphire just have the plain version.

Running an R9 390, I loaded this up and got desktop flickering and horrible gaming. Win10.

I had to use Macrium to get my OS back to an earlier state.

I also tried a different driver...17.7.2...with the same results.

Running 17.1.1 all is good.

I've also discovered that my Asus MG279Q monitor is shown as "Generic PNP Monitor" according to Win10. Asus does not have any drivers for this monitor for Win10. (Last ones released were in 2015 for Win8.1.) My R9 390 correctly detects the monitor. I'm not sure what the hell is going on with Win10 and the Generic Monitor. Apparently a lot of folks have that issue. Shrug.

The desktop flickering seemed to be a very low refresh rate...like in the 20's or lower. In games, the fps was in the teens with a shadow about 1/4" wide around the entire display. I've never seen this...

So, either my setup is unique, or maybe I need to DDU and/or AMD wipe the old drivers before installing the new ones? (I'd like to keep all the in-game settings I've painstakingly tweaked....)

Thoughts?

Didn't notice any issues like above, full uninstall, reboot and install. Don't trust "upgrades".

Running an R9 390, I loaded this up and got desktop flickering and horrible gaming. Win10.

I had to use Macrium to get my OS back to an earlier state.

I also tried a different driver...17.7.2...with the same results.

Running 17.1.1 all is good.

I've also discovered that my Asus MG279Q monitor is shown as "Generic PNP Monitor" according to Win10. Asus does not have any drivers for this monitor for Win10. (Last ones released were in 2015 for Win8.1.) My R9 390 correctly detects the monitor. I'm not sure what the hell is going on with Win10 and the Generic Monitor. Apparently a lot of folks have that issue. Shrug.

The desktop flickering seemed to be a very low refresh rate...like in the 20's or lower. In games, the fps was in the teens with a shadow about 1/4" wide around the entire display. I've never seen this...

So, either my setup is unique, or maybe I need to DDU and/or AMD wipe the old drivers before installing the new ones? (I'd like to keep all the in-game settings I've painstakingly tweaked....)

Thoughts?
Fresh Windows install on a spare hard drive?
Generic monitor driver is usually fine as long as the video card can detect supported resolutions

Thanks. Yeah, I'll do a full uninstall and then reboot, and install. grrr.

Edited: The AMD cleaning utility wiped out everything...and got it all sorted. Off to rebuild all my profiles.

Last edited:
I installed it. Didn't seem to break anything new. However, OpenGL performance has not been resolved.

I installed it. Didn't seem to break anything new. However, OpenGL performance has not been resolved.

OpenGL drivers have never been RTG's specialty; they weren't even when they were called ATI. I used to download Guru3D's modified drivers all the time when I wanted to play an OpenGL game.

OpenGL was working great when I first got Vega (using 1 card). After setting up Crossfire, and updating to newer drivers, OpenGL performance is less than half what it was.

I have tried disabling Crossfire, and that does not help. Maybe if I removed one card that would help, but I do want to use CF and I'm not playing any OpenGL games right now anyhow, so it's not really a priority.

However, I have seen a few other posts on forums with people having OpenGL issues with 1 card, so maybe CF has nothing to do with it.

Back in the day it was possible to place the OpenGL DLL from a driver release that actually worked into the game directory to get t to load that one instead with better performance

Might be worth a try

Hmm, looks like these might have fixed the Chrome RDP BSOD issue.

Edit: Spoke too soon, still happens.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned. I re-enabled hardware acceleration in Chrome and it seems to work now.

My experience with flickering desktop on AMD card happened when I replaced my living room TV with a 4K unit. The media center PC is using an R7 260 card, and when it detected the new TV, it set it up at 1920x1080 with a 24Hz refresh rate. Problems disappeared when I manually set the video card to output at 60Hz or 120Hz (TV supports 120Hz at 1080p). The desktop runs at 1920x1080 because 4K (even with zooming) is just terrible from across the room. Video playback is at 4K though.

Older AMD cards don't support HDMI 2.0, so 4K60 won't work. I believe the RX 400 series is the oldest that will support it.

I guess with all the mining it's rare to see Ryzen paired with last gen 290x .. the 1400 and 290x play so well together as this is 1080p Ultra settings and I have 16Gb of system ram on windows 10 64Bit.. if you look it shows 75-76 fps,, now I plan to buy the 27" Samsung 1080p Wal-Mart sells .

I guess with all the mining it's rare to see Ryzen paired with last gen 290x .. the 1400 and 290x play so well together as this is 1080p Ultra settings and I have 16Gb of system ram on windows 10 64Bit.. if you look it shows 75-76 fps,, now I plan to buy the 27" Samsung 1080p Wal-Mart sells .

My wife is on a Ryzen 5 1600x (stock) with a R9 290, and I have a Ryzen 7 1700 (OC to 3.8) with an RX 480. Sadly, the 290x she used to have died in a liquid cooling accident - was working in system and did not catch that a fitting on the vid card liquid cooler worked itself a hair loose. Water on the card when I powered it up, now has bad RAM :(

Since the 290x died, my wife got the 290 I had intended for my children's machine (Skylake Core I5), and now they have an old GeForce 560. Let me tell you - the GeForce 560 has NOT aged well at all :(

i've been having weird issues with these drivers, gona try olders, but from time to time my R9 390X and Vega64 machines refuse to display anything from the GPU when starting up. I have to plug the output from my mobo to another monitor and wait until windows start entirely and just press reboot it then will work again however that's really Annoying. it has happened now three times on each machine.

Never did understand why AMD would include DisplayPort 1.2 ports, but no HDMI 2.0...
simply put... cost, well at least that was the word around. That and AMD definitely needs VESA backing for freesync at the time so go whole hog on DP spec whilst lagging on HDMI a generation... MAYBE.

i've been having weird issues with these drivers, gona try olders, but from time to time my R9 390X and Vega64 machines refuse to display anything from the GPU when starting up. I have to plug the output from my mobo to another monitor and wait until windows start entirely and just press reboot it then will work again however that's really Annoying. it has happened now three times on each machine.
I don't my PC off, do occasionally restart. Installed this driver 2 days ago and with restarting after it and Afterburner neither time did it do what you got. Although I do have no display during boot on my 3440x1440 using display port until windows log in. I do get display on a 16:9 using HDMI during boot. This has been going on all along, and just assumed it doesn't like 21:9 displays during boot.

found the issue.. both cards are dropping both PCI-E Lanes and PCI-E Generation, Found that when the card doesn't boot up after restart/turn on it's because it is in a somewhat "disabled" state, with the second monitor plugged in Mobo Port I can see that the PCI-E 1 slot it's recognized as PCI-E 1.1@x0, forcing the mobo to set the PCI-E x16 slot to Gen3 fix part of the issue, the machine it's able to display from the GPU and up to the moment it have restarted just fine, did it several times, and power off/power on several cicles too, also tested turning off the PSU several times simulating a power shortage (even If I have UPS) and the machine has booted just fine, however the PCI-E Lanes are just a mess sometimes it boot as PCI-E X16@x4... sometimes x8, sometimes x1, sometimes full x16, I've tried resetting the cards and changing from PCI-E Slots and the behavior still persist.

Ran DDU in safe mode, reinstalled previous drivers and they has been working so far without issues.. I can live with the issue as much as the cards can stay at full X16 Gen 3 as I normally keep my personal machine turned on sometimes for weeks, however one of those machines is used by my brother and he always turn off the PC when go out of the house and at nights so the issue may be exponentially worse for him.

oooh.. found another nasty issue.. it keep resetting my monitor ICC profile everytime I open/close a game. Man, never had that issue since my 7970. So yet another time to use Color Sustainer App..

What the heck, did Raja purposely sabotage the RTG department before he left for Intel? Or did he just not care since he knew he was leaving anyways?

What the heck, did Raja purposely sabotage the RTG department before he left for Intel? Or did he just not care since he knew he was leaving anyways?

LOL well if you look at it he wanted RTG off loaded to intel. I can't believe he lasted this long since it was long rumored his love for intel it seems. Look at intel licensing vega chips. That is a major win for amd actually, so he kinda helped out there. To me it seems like he had good relationship with intel. He sort of helped out both parties and then parted ways. Now intel probably has graphics royalty fees they are paying to AMD and probably are free to use their tech for a fee, so they don't get sued.

LOL well if you look at it he wanted RTG off loaded to intel. I can't believe he lasted this long since it was long rumored his love for intel it seems. Look at intel licensing vega chips. That is a major win for amd actually, so he kinda helped out there. To me it seems like he had good relationship with intel. He sort of helped out both parties and then parted ways. Now intel probably has graphics royalty fees they are paying to AMD and probably are free to use their tech for a fee, so they don't get sued.

The AMD Intel deal is not licensing, AMD is providing the in die video chip. The communication is handled by EMIB.

The AMD Intel deal is not licensing, AMD is providing the in die video chip. The communication is handled by EMIB.

Understandable but the relationship is sort of already there.

Check out this Firestrike score with these driver and a stock but set an +10% RX480

Never broke 12,000 before

This for some reason is about 600 points over my last highest on the same system which i test often

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14103063

Fine wine? wtf?

Back