New DRebel Thread (w/pics)

The one with the board upside down is freaking awesome. Its like so cool how its level and upside down. Neat shots.

Emberghost said:
Um I don't exactly know what you mean by this? my editing maybe? This was takin at sunset so it was low light, so I had to do what I could to keep the shutter quick enough to catch me. I am also not the one taking the pictures obviously, my friend with very little camera know-how is. ;)
I was talking about the last picture, it seems very grainy. I was thinking maybe you edited in the grain to make it seem more "artsy" perhaps?

It's probably just the fast shutter speed working with the low light conditions like you suggested. Or maybe my monitor and my eyes are playing tricks on me. :D

Also, I just noticed that the third picture down was actually three people, and they are all you. Fantastic job splicing them.

I love that sunset shot second from the bottom, and the previous ones, and the pond reflection one. Up here in Mass, it's pretty drab every day until mid-April, especially this winter.

I didn't join in the guess your age game but I would have probably pegged you for at least 20, though the braces (I think you're wearing braces in that pic?) might have made me guess a little younger.

But wow, 16? Younger than I would have thought. You take some great pictures and have a real eye for this stuff. I just recently took up photography again (after a 10 year 'hiatus' of sorts) and can only hope to take some pics as good as yours. :)

Just a question, are you thinking of pursuing photography or anything down the road?

fern2hr.jpg

What is that?

BillLeeLee said:
I love that sunset shot second from the bottom, and the previous ones, and the pond reflection one. Up here in Mass, it's pretty drab every day until mid-April, especially this winter.

I didn't join in the guess your age game but I would have probably pegged you for at least 20, though the braces (I think you're wearing braces in that pic?) might have made me guess a little younger.

But wow, 16? Younger than I would have thought. You take some great pictures and have a real eye for this stuff. I just recently took up photography again (after a 10 year 'hiatus' of sorts) and can only hope to take some pics as good as yours. :)

Just a question, are you thinking of pursuing photography or anything down the road?
Hah, well thank you very much. I might pursue it as a paying hobby, such as something like freelancing for the paper or something like that. It would be nice to get paid though for what I love to do. Especially now that I have a job I am debating getting into the 'bad boy' L lenses like the 70-200 F4L. I don't really know why I'm willing to put the money into photography that I do, I guess it's just a passion of mine. I love taking pictures of sports and portraits and such like with what you have seen of my girlfriend.

I bid you luck though on your newfound photo glory, you will have to share some as soon as you feel like posting them up.

Now that I think about it, I've never been taught a thing about photography, by a person or class. Just what I learn from reading and experimenting.

Lorcani: That would be a fern all curled up in my mother's garden.

Cool shots by ember, but it would be cool to see some without all the post-process. It looks like you're using a lot of optikverve plugin effects. Some sports or natural color shots would be cool to see.

Just a suggestion about the L lenses...you have a Rebel, right? It might be worth investing the cost of an L lens into something like a 20D, or a used 1D. An L lens on a Rebel is like putting race fuel and nitrous in a Dodge Colt. For the cost of an expensive L lens, you could upgrade to a better base-system (20D), and get the benefits that it provides which might improve the photos more than an L lens would on the Rebel. While the L lenses are held in high regard, other pro's out there have found 3rd party replacements which come close, but save a ton of money over the L's. Read some reviews for the Tamron 28-75 lens. Many pro's have posted positive comments about it, and it might save some money over the L for that range. http://tamron.com/lenses/prod/2875mm.asp

Nice sunset pic, btw.

I'd suggest getting a lens instead of another camera. Expanding the lens collection, and thus what you are capable of taking pictures of, to me is much wiser than getting an incremental body upgrade (in the sense that bodies are continually being replaced with newer ones with more features, etc) and still being limited in what you are capable of shooting.

I'm debating the 70-200mm f/4 L vs. the 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO HSM (Sigma) myself. I really want the extra stop because I'd like to use a 1.4x teleconvertor with it for baseball & soccer (netting a 98-280 f/4), and in the winter I will use it indoors. The Sigma can be had for ~$730 and the f/4 L can be had for ~$580, and the f/2.8 L is like ~$1,140. If I buy used I might save some more cash, but I'm not sure who would give up the 70-200mm range. Still need to work out finances though, get a car and a job, etc. But that is how I'm taking my decisions in my 70-200mm range lens selections.

nullvector said:
Cool shots by ember, but it would be cool to see some without all the post-process. It looks like you're using a lot of optikverve plugin effects. Some sports or natural color shots would be cool to see.

Just a suggestion about the L lenses...you have a Rebel, right? It might be worth investing the cost of an L lens into something like a 20D, or a used 1D. An L lens on a Rebel is like putting race fuel and nitrous in a Dodge Colt. For the cost of an expensive L lens, you could upgrade to a better base-system (20D), and get the benefits that it provides which might improve the photos more than an L lens would on the Rebel. While the L lenses are held in high regard, other pro's out there have found 3rd party replacements which come close, but save a ton of money over the L's. Read some reviews for the Tamron 28-75 lens. Many pro's have posted positive comments about it, and it might save some money over the L for that range. http://tamron.com/lenses/prod/2875mm.asp

Nice sunset pic, btw.

I agree with you, I do process probably a bit too much. But I like it in a sense, makes my stuff a little more unique from the rest. But I do agree some variance would be nice.

And I'm not so sure if I agree with you about upgrading the body over lenses. The Rebel is an excellent camera. The 20d will not give me better pictures. It will give me better and easier opportunities to capture those images, but quality give or take is negligible. I think most people will agree that the lenses should be the bigger investment. Why buy a ~1k Rebel only to use it with a few hundred dollar lens. Just my perspective on it. :p

I agree with tim about lens v. body.

When you bought the rebel, you bought yourself into the EOS system. For the most part, your bodies will come and go, but you'll be keeping the glass. You can invest in the L glass now, take great shots with your rebel. Then you might eventually upgrade to the 20D or its eventual successor, and you'll still be able to use that L glass.

SidewinderX said:
I agree with tim about lens v. body.

When you bought the rebel, you bought yourself into the EOS system. For the most part, your bodies will come and go, but you'll be keeping the glass. You can invest in the L glass now, take great shots with your rebel. Then you might eventually upgrade to the 20D or its eventual successor, and you'll still be able to use that L glass.

Agreed.

Here's some pictures I took with the 18-55mm kit lens today after the rain. Enjoy. ;)

Awsome Shots Ember! Are you still using the 18-55mm lens mainly or the 50mm 1.8? I've been thinking about picking up a 50mm lens.

WesM63 said:
Awsome Shots Ember! Are you still using the 18-55mm lens mainly or the 50mm 1.8? I've been thinking about picking up a 50mm lens.

I use both mixed. The flower ones above and these sunset ones were with the kit. The 50 is an awesome lens and I think everyone will advise you to get it. ;)

Sorry I know there are a lot and they are rather big. But I was really happy with how my kit performed today. Enjoy. :)

Very nice shots, careful when upgrading though because the EF-S lenses will only work with the DRebel 300D and the Canon 20D, the won't work with the other canon bodies.

Hope ya'll don't mind the wave of pictures heh. :p

My little sis, aint she cute. :D

^^ My gift to Steph for our 6 months comin up on the 1st of April. April fools baby!! :p

Excellent pictures!! You must be quite the balla for a 16 year old. $900 camera and what looks to be a very expensive gift for the gf! ;)

sgt said:
Excellent pictures!! You must be quite the balla for a 16 year old. $900 camera and what looks to be a very expensive gift for the gf! ;)

Haha, I guess you could say that. :cool:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ya'll didn't think i wouldn't have any Easter Pictures did you? Enjoy... :D

my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

^^ Oh the anger of finding an egg with no candy haha, what is a little kid to do...

At my next paycheck I decided the canon 135mm soft focus lens will be my best bet. Good focal length for sports, soft focus if I need for portraits, fast f/2.8, amazingly sharp for the price ( ~$270)

And another from today.

Then you'd have a hole between 50 and 135 that you'd have to fill...another day perhaps? I'm beginning to see why glass is so addictive (especially so as I imagine having a 70-200 zoom) :p :D

I found 85mm to be fairly long on my rebel, although I absolutely love the lens (as long as there is room to step backwards, I use it). I'm sure the 135mm f/2.8 SF will be a prized lens in your collection until you get something bigger :)

BTW, so far your weather seems great. Over here it has been raining a lot, so I took some extra foam-core from a school photo display of mine (used about 20sq ft of it for my panorama) and built a box w/ a hot-glue gun to hopefully keep water off of the camera. Since we both use non-sealed cameras to hopefully shoot sports, I thought you might be interested in seeing it even if it is probably best to leave these cameras out of the incliment weather... I have a screw/bolt of some sort from an ancient flash mount to hold the box to the camera through the tripod mount (though I haven't found it yet)...

photos_dscn3395.jpg

Hah, I like it, nice and classy. :p

But no that is a great idea, and if we're spendin all this $$$ on glass things like this are great. When you say the 85 seemed a bit long, for what application are you referencing this statement to? Because this 135mm that I plan on getting will be used 80% for sports, and the occasional portraits. I'm not so sure how it would be with portraits because my 50mm seemed a bit 'much' when I was with my girl at the lake. I guess it will be great for headshots a little farther away with great bokeh?

If there was any way you could set up a shot at both 50mm and 85mm that would be much appreciated. Preferably focused on something in the distance (10+ yards?). The way I see it, the 85mm is to much money and to close to my 50mm. So if I get the 135mm then yes there would be a gap from 18-55 (&50) to 135. But I also plan on upgrading the kit lens in time as well. Say something like a Sigma 18-125mm. Does this sound like a logical path to take? Hope this all made sense hah. :p

So in the end I would like my arsenal to look like so:

Canon 18-55 (sell/ebay it)

Sigma 18-125 (wide, good everyday everything type lens)
Canon 50mm 1.8 (very fast and sharp, good for portraits and low light) -- Already Own
Canon 135mm SF 2.8 (sharp, fast, quick focus even w/o usm, good reach)

Coming out to be about $520 with a $7/hr. job woo hoo. Keeps ya dedicated doesn't it.

I have the 18-55mm, so I'll do a quick shot with that. Actually, I've done the shoot already, I just haven't downloaded all of my pictures today. :)

But by fairly long, that only applies in "normal" photography because it is my everyday lens. In sports, it is great for basketball near the baseline, but too short for nearly everything else. But for impromptu snaps or portraits, I find myself jogging back to frame the subject.

On your 50mm f/1.8, I think you can frame a 5ft 8in person at a distance of 12.5 ft considering the 1.6x crop factor of the rebel (person's head to toe from left to right side of frame when you turn camera upright). With my 85mm f/1.8 I calculate the distance to be about 21.25ft to frame the same person. If my memory of trig still works, with the 135mm f/2.8 SF you'd have to stand back at about 33 feet to frame the same person.

To reitterate, to frame a 5ft 8in person:
50mm * 1.6x crop = 12.5ft
85mm * 1.6x crop = 21.25ft
135mm * 1.6x crop = 33ft

Ah, well while figuring that out my photos finished downloading. :D

The horse-shoe gate thing is about 22ft away from the camera. The door to the chicken coop is 44ft away, and is I think 6.5ft tall? The math worked out, though the values to calculate short-framing height is different than what I used in the table above...

50mm on the 18-55mm, f/8 1/200 + flash

85mm on the 85mm f/1.8, f/8 1/200 + flash

BTW, click on the image for the full size. Some RAW processing applied. The 18-55 couldn't focus perfectly even with the 420EX's AF assist, so it is quite a bit softer than the 85mm f/1.8 image...I wouldn't use these to judge sharpness :p

Thank you very much, sharpness was not my intent of discovery. I like what you did with the:

To reitterate, to frame a 5ft 8in person:
50mm * 1.6x crop = 12.5ft
85mm * 1.6x crop = 21.25ft
135mm * 1.6x crop = 33ft

Because this can be applied to the main use that I want which is sports. So what I have right now i can only go 12.5ft for the whole person, where as a 135mm can go 33ft for a full figure. The pictures helped very much, from what I see the 85 appears to close to the 50 and not quite the reach i'd like for sports. Helped in my wanting of the 135 heh. :D

Ordered my rebel and a 1gb ultra 2 flash card. Should be here tuesday... Very excited!!

where did you order it from and how much (if you dont mind) im planning on buying one in the next month

buydig.com $674 shipped WITH lens. Amazing deal!!!! I also bought the 1gb ultra flash card for $76 from newegg.

Got my Rebel! I love this thing. It is AMAZING for the price I got it for!

Ember or anyone else, any recommendation on a camera bag for this thing? I don't want something too big... but I do plan on buying atleast 1 more lens and a better flash. Any inpute is appreciated!

sgt said:
Got my Rebel! I love this thing. It is AMAZING for the price I got it for!

Ember or anyone else, any recommendation on a camera bag for this thing? I don't want something too big... but I do plan on buying atleast 1 more lens and a better flash. Any inpute is appreciated!

Sorry to steal Embers thread but I just picked up a Tenba P107 from B and H photo for $21 "refurbished/Used" right.. its brand spanking new. It fits all my gear and then some. (Rebel, 18-55, 70-210, and my Sony DSC-P51 plus room left over.

Just made a few purchases myself today :)
DSCN1154.jpg

50 1.5 II and a Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-4C

I cannot believe how sharp that lens is. The flash is also KILLER.

The above pic was taken with my crappy pocket camera. Nikon coolpix3100 Actually not a bad little camera all things considered.

Emberghost, you are directly responsible for me buying that lens :mad: THANKS!!! :D :D

Davenow said:
Just made a few purchases myself today :)

Emberghost, you are directly responsible for me buying that lens :mad: THANKS!!! :D :D[/QUOTE]

Hah, I'm very glad to hear this. I went out shooting with it today actually for the first time in a long while. Sorry I haven't been here to post more often lately. So here are a few to look at....I also got a new car a little bit ago! 93 prelude = rocks your world haha

Car Pics @ [url]http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/777165[/url]

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us][IMG]http://img83.echo.cx/img83/2089/flower1pu.jpg[/URL]

Mini Panorama ( try um this way sometime )

Taken with 18-55mm kit

Just picked up a 28mm 2.8 with hood, HMC uv and thin ring c-pl filters, in box and mint for 150 bucks :) I am thinking of getting the 85 and selling my 28-105 zoom, just carrying a small bag around with these 3 primes, as I have never been happy with my zoom...

Emberghost said:
Nice, what manufacturer? Tell me how ya like it. =]
Oh, its the Canon. :)

I went to a digital expo thing at a local shop today to pick up a new bag.
I picked up a 20D at teh demo table, and now, the only thing that has any meaning in my life, is my quest to own one myself. :eek: :eek: OMG that is the camera of my dreams.
I shoot a lot of auto racing stuff, autoX mostly, and the speed in continuous mode is SO much faster and can take SO many more pics than the rebel...

Here is a project I have, just waiting for the last few elements to roll in. Supposed to be freaky and stuff. Shot about 200 images at Mission Gorge in San Diego, and only one really worked.
comp_set1_33.jpg

So today I went and bought my 4 year old sis her first fishing pole. Took her down where I used to go when I was about 5 when we first moved up here. This is my little photo story thingy, enjoy. =]

So my dad decided to join us when she caught her first on her brand spankin new Scooby Doo pole. Sun fish I think it was, put up a good fight. =P

Pole in hand she's off for another. We need dinner after all, better get crackin --- 1 will just not do.

With her heart racing she set the hook on yet another. You can just feel the excitement through those black and white pixels. :p

The crowd gathers in awe of the amazing catch...

Now that is some excitement folks, can't find anywhere but the [H]ard forums heh. Her face when she discovers not only did she catch another, but it's a trout!!!!! =P

We almost got her to kiss it haha, woulda been a classic picture.

The beast in all its glory. Don't mind my dad's beautiful thumb. Hammers = bad :rolleyes:

And one for shits and giggles. What am I doing to this child. =]

Here's the deal, if you read this you must do it. Enter at your own will:

So, a picture is worth a thousand words right? Well when reading this you must take a 360 panorama of your room or desired room of interest. I didn't know how well it would work but it seemed to work ok. Should become an interesting thread. =]

And with no further waiting, my humble room.

*click to make larger*

Embeghost....

cool pics, as always!

But one thing....I am going to hurt you if you don't start making your pics availble for prints, there are at least 10 that I want sized to 20x30(at least) and framed on my wall.

If you don't do it....I will hate you. And you don't want someone hating you for the rest of their lives do you?

;) :p

Back