• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New disks for NAS

xavis

n00b
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
6
Hi there,

I am looking to build up a NAS server (thinking about getting the QNAP TS-669 Pro), but I also need some disks. I was going for the 5K4000 4TB disks, but they seem to not be available anymore, as several threads also mention in here. Then, I was thinking about getting the 5K3000 3TB disks or, alternatively, in order to get more disk space, the 7K4000 4TB disks.
I would, of course, like as much disk space as possible, with the least noise, heat and power consumption.
Also, there is the issue of disk compatibility with QNAP's servers.

What do you think?




Thank you!
xavis
 
You will probably have trouble obtaining these since they are no longer being produced since WDC owns hitachi storage division.

What do you think?

Get WDC Red drives.
 
You will probably have trouble obtaining these since they are no longer being produced since WDC owns hitachi storage division.



Get WDC Red drives.

I basically have this same issue, need new NAS disks. Is WDC reds by far the best option? Anything a close second? Because with the holidays coming up, I was hoping to keep an eye out for HD deals, and if theres nothing even close to Reds I'll just buy them now.
 
I am in the process of upgrading the six disks in my Qnap 639 pro to WD red 3TB drives, they were the best bang for the buck at $159 per drive ( I am in Canada) the got per GB is too high on the 4TB drives at the moment, IMO.
 
I am in the process of upgrading the six disks in my Qnap 639 pro to WD red 3TB drives, they were the best bang for the buck at $159 per drive ( I am in Canada) the got per GB is too high on the 4TB drives at the moment, IMO.

Dang they are 165$ at Amazon...
 
I basically have this same issue, need new NAS disks. Is WDC reds by far the best option? Anything a close second? Because with the holidays coming up, I was hoping to keep an eye out for HD deals, and if theres nothing even close to Reds I'll just buy them now.

Hitachi/Toshiba > Reds any day of the week.
 
Hitachi/Toshiba > Reds any day of the week.

I would have to second this. I went with the Toshiba DT's. 1 out of 7 died (which I planned for) so not too bad. They are also faster than the Reds, far cheaper and really are Hitachi drives.
 
I see that the poll results are swinging towards WD's Red series. It's just a shame that they only come as 3 TB drives.

Does anyone has any insider knowledge whether there is going to be 4 TB disks out (soonish)?
 
Should I worry about any incompatibility issues with the WD Red series and QNAP's NAS servers, since the drive is not on QNAP's official (nor unofficial) compatibility list?
 
Yes, they are.
I guess I did not search thoroghly enough.

Then I have to go home and order some disks, it seems :)
I live in the UK - do you guys know about some good websites to order from, or am I better off just doing a general search on google.co.uk?
 
Before I order the disks, I just wanted to make sure that none of you had anything bad to say about http://www.lambda-tek.com/.

Please let me know if you think it is not a trustworthy site, or if you have anything else to say about it.
 
Back
Top