New Data Exposes BitTorrent Throttling ISPs

HardOCP News

[H] News
How does your ISP rate when it comes to throttling BitTorrent traffic? In the U.S., the worst ISP came in at 6%, but that pales in comparison to the 80% Canadians are experiencing. :eek:

New data published by the Google-backed Measurement Lab gives a unique insight into the BitTorrent throttling practices of ISPs all over the world. In the U.S. and Australia most large ISPs limit less than 10 percent of BitTorrent transfers. In the UK and Canada on the other hand, some providers interfere with up to three-quarters of all BitTorrent traffic.

Comcast may not throttle torrents at much as they used to but they sure make up for it in the usenet department.

Is it true throttling or prioritizing? If it is giving priority to other protocols (http, ftp, VoIP, streaming video, etc.) over torrents, I can see the reasoning. But, throttling the traffic just because its a torrent isn't good. I download a lot of legitimate torrent files (Linux, fan films, etc.) and would hate to be throttled for no reason other than the fact that it's a torrent.

i only use torrents to download game demos, linux distros, and 1080p quality movie trailers... thats it.

i only use torrents to download game demos, linux distros, and 1080p quality movie trailers... thats it.

i only use torrents to download freeware..... that's it. ;)

everything else you can get on dvd or on cable.

Please elaborate on usenet throttling
When I connect to my premium news server through Charter the speed is throttled back after about 10 seconds. When I connect to the same news server from a friends house who is not with Charter I don't see the customary drop in download speed.

The article unfortunately doesn't really distinguish wither it's throttling or prioritizing. Since torrent traffic isn't exactly mission critical I can see torrent traffic being reigned in reasonably during peak hours.

When I connect to my premium news server through Charter the speed is throttled back after about 10 seconds. When I connect to the same news server from a friends house who is not with Charter I don't see the customary drop in download speed.

What provider do you use and what port are you on? Absolutely critical questions because it could be a simple configuration issue.

Comcast not Charter.

Are you sure Charter doesn't do a PowerBoost type speed burst?

Are you sure Charter doesn't do a PowerBoost type speed burst?
I'm actually not on Charter but Comcast, I wrote that wrong. It looks like my news server offers 256 Bit SSL encryption on multiple ports so I think I'll try a different one. Maybe Comcast has one flagged.

The article unfortunately doesn't really distinguish wither it's throttling or prioritizing. Since torrent traffic isn't exactly mission critical I can see torrent traffic being reigned in reasonably during peak hours.

So long as the residental ISPs trespass on people's property with their infrastructure, it is not up to them to decide what traffic is critical. If they wish to pay for the right to run their lines through someone's property, then I will have no problem with them doing this.

Perhaps if companies like Comcast and Time Warner invested some of the billions of dollars in revenue into actually upgrading their infrastructure, speed wouldn't be an issue. I had to threaten Time Warner with cancelling a 5-figure a month fiber contract before they split my node at home. Controlling the purse strings on an expensive business account has it's advantages.

Comcast may not throttle torrents at much as they used to but they sure make up for it in the usenet department.

I max mine out without a problem. From what it sounds like, you're just seeing PowerBoost poop out. My plan isn't 32mbit, but I get 32mbit for the first 10-15 seconds from PowerBoost.

Being a Canadian I fucking hate how we pay the highest for internet and phone anywhere.Our government is a joke.

it is throttling, my uncle had Rogers in Toronto and as soon as you started to download a torrent , he had 20mb / 1mb line, speeds would drop to less than 5Kb with in 10 mins and would get to the point his connection would drop and you would have to power cycle the modem to get your connection back,. this was about 3 years ago.

Being a Canadian I fucking hate how we pay the highest for internet and phone anywhere.Our government is a joke.

Come here to Saskatchewan bro. Sure it's a bit expensive for internet, but the speeds aren't horrible and Sasktel doesn't give a shit how much you use or what you do with your bandwidth.

yep, way to much corruption between CRTC and the big ISPs Rogers, Bell, Cogego and all their sub companies... they own TV, Phone and Internet Canada wide for the most part and the CRTC is retired employees from those 3 so... our bills should come with lube

Come here to Saskatchewan bro. Sure it's a bit expensive for internet, but the speeds aren't horrible and Sasktel doesn't give a shit how much you use or what you do with your bandwidth.

You would need it, what else is there to do out there? ;)

Been pretty satisfied with Cogeco so far. Dumping Bell was the best thing I ever did for my Internet. It's not cheap, but for ~$60 a month I get a 40mps line with 175gb of bandwidth that I never top, and reraly even come close to nowadays.

The question was posed in an aggressive tone, if only I had my gun. ;)

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...st-s-pro-gun-letter-sparks-social-media-storm

Word. That poor tourist must have been so scared. I dunno about you, but I'm glad that kids here will only harrass me with harsh words.

From the letter “I thank the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in their best interest to leave us alone.” Why do you think they didn't have a weapon, genius?

Pothole dodging :D

Haha. That and trying to hit gophers. Between dodging potholes and hitting gophers, we're all over the road out here.

Off Topic: They should totally make a driving in Saskatchewan game. You have two massive potholes coming up and you are doing 100 KM/H. Which one do you hit? You have to pick the one that does less damage to your vehicle. Oh, oncoming vehicle so you can't swerve and you hit it. Oh, a red flag. Phew! just a little bump. No red flag. GOD DAMMIT MASSIVE POTHOLE!!! :p

Tell me again how, without Net Neutrality, that US ISPs are going to stop you from getting all the content you want.

Content production will follow consumer demand, not some nefarious plot cooked up by "teh corparashunz".

Port 563.

Switch to Newshosting and use port 9000 , no ISP is currently blocking that port and many people who can't use other ports at all can always use port 9000.

I wouldn't worry too much about encryption either , the odds that your ISP is packet inspecting all the email links you are downloading will just end up looking like a waste of their time.

Back