new DangerDen Block, 125$$?!?!

Suntar

Limp Gawd
If you ask me, asking 125$ for a water block is kinda steep. Sure its the only one out right now ment for the 6800, and it cools the ram as well, but still, for 40$ you could mod your own waterblock and buy some ram sinks!!!

Do you guys think this is steap

Yes its steep, but it will be in my system shortly (as soon as I can find a BFG 6800 Ultra OC). I have no choice since i don't want to fuss with making my own :(

That is rather insane...

Hell I'll find some other way of attatching one of the cheaper waterblocks to my card. If I have to fucking epoxy the thing on I will. $125 is just stupid. :mad:

It cools the ram too. The reason its so expensive is that the block begins with 8 pounds of copper. They have to remove 7. Its a solid pound of frickin copper. I do think they should figure out a more efficient way to mill these blocks....All in all though, its not THAT unreasonable for what it does....

OK if it cools the ram and actually does so well I *MIGHT* have a slight inclination to shell out $125... it would have to be a DAMN fine piece of work though.

they could of found an easyer way to make it do all that then start out with 8 pounds imho. They probly got the thicketst block of copper they could find!

I am a little disappointed the block is going to cost so much and I doubt performance is going to be that much better over just a waterblock on the GPU and ramsinks on the RAM. From what I have been reading clocking the core higher is going to get much more of a performance increase than increasing ram speed. A waterblock on just the GPU would probably allow th GPU to clock higher than a waterblock that cools both the ram and gpu like the DD block.

exactly, RAM sinks were made for a reason, GPU water blocks should just be on the GPU, not causeing more heat for the water system with the RAM.

I would buy this for 60$ tops. 125, call me drunk

can i take a look at the block?

i dont' see it on dangerden's site.

and i work at a machine shop, i could perhaps tell you guys if it's worth the money or not.

Stang Man said:
can i take a look at the block?

i dont' see it on dangerden's site.

and i work at a machine shop, i could perhaps tell you guys if it's worth the money or not.
http://dangerden.com/images/nvidia/6800/top1_400w.jpg[img]
[img]http://dangerden.com/images/nvidia/6800/top2_400w.jpg[img]
[img]http://dangerden.com/images/nvidia/6800/back1_400w.jpg[img]

The Swiftech block also fits the 6800 and is half the cost of the dangerden block. Here is a pic of mine:
11-GTWC.JPG

-Dave

Suntar said:
yeah, see, im a bit curious why they think theres is so special

We already determined why, because it has integrated watercooling capabilities for the RAM as well.

Thats better. Is the writing for the show as well? Pics of the finished product? Im steal leaning towards the Innovatek version, but its only about 60/40 right now.

i dont think they did show it at PDX, cause i didnt see it there. But it seems better then the innovatek, but the prices are crazy right now.
n6800_topinst_800w.jpg[img]

doesn't look like they start out with 8 pounds of copper, more like 4 or so.

for something like this, i'd expect to pay 75-90 for. 125 is just way too much profit for such a simple design.

wtf you guys? thats freaking awsome! way to go danger den! id pay 125 for that any day, immagine the possibiltys...kinda looks like the cooler on my card actually

ubern00b15 said:
wtf you guys? thats freaking awsome! way to go danger den! id pay 125 for that any day, immagine the possibiltys...kinda looks like the cooler on my card actually

Unfortunately a lot of us are on a tight budget :(. $125...I could almost buy a new last gen card with that...

I think paying $400 for a video card is insane as it is...then one might have to shell out for a new PSU since the new gen video cards are so power hungry. Add that block and youve just spent about $700. You could easily build a decent gaming PC for that much...

yes, that price threw me off too. Currently thinking of copying the shape of the WC onto a nice piece of 1/4" copper, then mount my Maze4 block over the GPU itself. I hope that that will still cool the rams enough so that I can live without having a fan blowing over ram heatsinks (kinda defeats the purpose of a quiet system if you watercool the GPU but aircool the rams).

Simple!!?

That thing must be a royal bitch to CNC it being made of copper and all. They should've went with aluminum, the block would be a whole lot cheaper to make (and therfore sell), it'd be lighter (easier to mount), and the cooling difference between the 2 would probably have been minimal considering how much metal that design has in it. Heck maybe they could've afforded to braze a aluminum top on it too instead of that plexiglass if they went aluminum.

Fact is that its a reeeal nice block but they've gone and priced themselves out of the market, now if included a peltier in it for that price...

it is simple.. all the did was drill a tunnel, then accually cut out a design for the core, then another tonnel.

Aluminum? I'd much wather use the copper heatsink and fan that comes stock then use an aluminum heatsink.

Suntar said:
I'd much wather use the copper heatsink and fan that comes stock then use an aluminum heatsink.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone lisp in a forum. :)

Couldn't resist.

Alright man if you think its so simple go down to your local machine shop and ask them what it takes to make one for you, or better yet ask them what it takes to make a couple hundred for you so you can get an idea of the manufacturing costs involved in making something like this, oh and don't forget you'd have to sell it for a lower price as well, since of course its just soooo simple isn't it?

BTW copper aint much better than aluminum for cooling in practice (note I said in practice, on paper sure it looks like it kicks the crap out of aluminum when it comes to cooling capacity but in practice it only gets you a couple of degrees difference in temp.), it costs more, its heavier, and its more difficult to work with. Now if you want copper for the looks, then I'd just go with some copper plated aluminum like Thermaltake has done with some of thier heatsinks, which would get you the looks you want but offer no advantages when it comes to cooling.

Conduction coefficient (k) of Copper (Annealed) is: 2715
Conduction coefficient (k) of Aluminum is: 1420
Ratio is 1.91:1 (almost 2:1) Copper is more efficient at transfer of heat.

As for money wise, copper is about 10x more expensive than aluminium by weight, but it's hardly what one would consider "very expensive" considering aluminum is very cheap.

but hey, its the best cooler for 6800, ill give you that, its the only cooler ment for 6800 that comes with 1/2 fittings. And it will probley be 125$ until DangerDen stops getting large orders for em. So I say, if you dont mind payin that much, go right ahead, if you do, wait a comple months, see what happens.

-Suntar

Like I said man, copper sure looks great on paper but in practice it aint all that great as the near 2:1 ratio on paper.

BTW most of the costs from using copper are incurred by machining it due to the fact that it tends to stick to the CNC machine's drill bits like glue thus ruining them and increasing the machining time and costs significantly, ecspecially on the parts of the water block that are narrow as the bits will tend to break the most there.

I remember when video cards came out with 1 piece aircooled heatsinks, and they didn't do very weel on account of the ram being slightly different heights and in some cases would cause the hsf to not even cover all of the GPU. I don't see why this is any different, you'd still have to use thermal tape to get it to the right height which just plain sucks.

mesyn191 said:
Like I said man, copper sure looks great on paper but in practice it aint all that great as the near 2:1 ratio on paper.

BTW most of the costs from using copper are incurred by machining it due to the fact that it tends to stick to the CNC machine's drill bits like glue thus ruining them and increasing the machining time and costs significantly, ecspecially on the parts of the water block that are narrow as the bits will tend to break the most there.

say what??

do you work at a machine shop? i will tell you, milling copper is "free turning" meaning that it doesn't chew up tools.

i'd be willing to bet, that throughout the whole machining process, they are using water-based coolant, (looking at the quality, it doesn't look to be oil based), which will clean the tools of copper and cut through it like butter.

i can't tell you without technical drawings how long it would take to mill that out, but it's not a complicated design requiring multiple turning tools.

mesyn191 said:

have you ever done this? You must not of used cutting oil..

I personally have never had to CNC anything, but I lots of other posts from people on this forum who have (or rather used to be on this forum) just do search on Cathar, he went in to detail all the problems he had with copper for his white water block.

It doesn't matter how you cool it or lube it copper is very soft and will stick to the bits and destroy them from what they've said.

mesyn191 said:
I personally have never had to CNC anything, but I lots of other posts from people on this forum who have (or rather used to be on this forum) just do search on Cathar, he went in to detail all the problems he had with copper for his white water block.

It doesn't matter how you cool it or lube it copper is very soft and will stick to the bits and destroy them from what they've said.
Swiftech somehow manages to machine hundreds and hundreds of copper components w/o difficulty
perhaps many of the 'problems' relate to a lack of experience, and people with even less experience repeating those comments ?
(not related to Cathar's description, his machinist was doing something actually difficult)

for some 125$ bucks is steep. Myself I own a S-TDX so for me another 125$ for a 6800 wouldnt be a big deal...but then again Im not most people. ;)

I think I like the innovatek block better too, dd wasn't thinking when they put the fittings on their block the way they did. As far as milling that block, it isn't a complex operation COMPARED to some other block designs.

Not an issue for me, I've already put a block on a 6800gt, which should hold me awhile.

BillA said:
Swiftech somehow manages to machine hundreds and hundreds of copper components w/o difficulty
perhaps many of the 'problems' relate to a lack of experience, and people with even less experience repeating those comments ?
(not related to Cathar's description, his machinist was doing something actually difficult)

Sure it could be, I think the Swiftec comparison though isn't valid though. Most of thier blocks are as simple as possible, heck thier new one is little more than a small 1U copper heatsink that has a copper jacket braised on there and alot of thier older blocks used Al jackets for cost reasons IIRC.... The DD one has a very large and long channel along with alot of smaller curved ones that are just as deep and IIRC most of Cathar's problems in general came from machining the small channels on his block but he also went in to detail about the making of the block and I remember him being sorely temped to use Al throughout the whole process.

But hey look since I know so little and you seem to know so much why don't you go and sell a knock off of the DD block for less, you're sure to make a bundle if its as easy as you say and DD is ripping people for as much as you guys think.

"But hey look since I know so little and you seem to know so much why don't you go and sell a knock off of the DD block for less, you're sure to make a bundle if its as easy as you say and DD is ripping people for as much as you guys think."

well, when you see a Swiftech rip-off of any competitor - SING OUT

my comment was wrt the machining of copper, only

Hey I wasn't putting Swiftec's stuff down, nor did I say they were a rip off, if my reply is phrased in such a way as to appear that it does then thats a mistake. :confused:

Back