New Credit Cards May Make Tipping More Awkward

Tipping should be banned, and for the most part only Americans do this. Why?

Because we believe in getting paid what we deserve. Only the crappy wait staff end up working at places like Denny's or the IHOP making crap wages. The good ones will make decent money. My sister is one of the best waitresses in the city and she continues to work fine dining despite her education.

Never, skip out on a tip. If you do that they may get the impression that you are a tight-wad or just forgot. You must leave no doubt.

If you get shitty service, leave 1 penny. The message will be received.

That's the beauty of these new cards... in the rare instances where a single penny is warranted, you get to look them in the eye and dare them to question it.

I always tip... dayz as a dish dog tell me why.
There is no tipping in Japan and other parts of Asia, its an insult...
Its like here is some more money, your going to needed it because you suck at your job.

Tipping should be banned, and for the most part only Americans do this. Why?

Because asshat restaurant owners convinced asshat politicians to let them pay workers less than minimum wage because "the workers will make it up in tips". And it became a cultural thing. But I've never understood why we tip some food workers and not others. Pizza delivery = tip (on top the "delivery charge" (which doesn't go to the driver, btw) so your $10 pizza costs you $16-20), waiter in a "sit down" restaurant = tip, fast food worker? Fuck him! Even if he brought your food to you at your table or in your car. It's like it was arbitrarily decided which food service workers should get a little extra so that they could actually make a livable wage.

And honestly if you're going to tip don't put it on a card. Tips left on cards have to be reported because there is a paper trail. Cash tips can be conveniently forgotten about come tax time and unless they're working in high end establishments most food service workers are getting screwed over enough.

stupid credit card technology.

why can't they make it work like the old way?

I was at walmart the other day, and the stupid chip wouldn't let me swipe the card. I had to insert it and let it read the chip or some shit.

I'm in california, where all waiters get minimum wage even if you don't tip. Service is average/mediocre either way in my experience.

Here in Cali, tipping would actually overpay the waiters IMO. Think about it- you buy a $100 meal, you tip $20 for a few minutes of bringing dishes and busing trays? I would say a total of 5 minutes is spent serving and cleaning up.

Wouldn't you like to earn $20 every 5 minutes?

Been this way for what? A decade since chip and pin came out in the EU.

That isn't the bad side of this "oh noes tipping by card they see immediately..." The company immediately takes 8% of any tip by card. They say it is to cover the cost of the transaction... That's why I don't tip by card but tip cash if a real tip is deserved

With two months to go, I've only found one out of eight stores have EMV systems turned on, and only one (Savers thrift store) prompted me to insert my card after I had swiped it. (notice about secure chip, need to insert to complete sale).

It's always worth tipping unless they did something wrong or gave horrible service.

maxresdefault.jpg

https://youtu.be/V4sbYy0WdGQ

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make shit.
Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.
Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a fucking Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.
Mr. Pink: Look, I ordered coffee, alright? And we been here a long fucking time and she's only filled my cup three times. When I order coffee I want it filled six times.
Mr. Blonde: Six times? Well, what if she's too fucking busy?
Mr. Pink: The words "too fucking busy" shouldn't be in a waitress' vocabulary.
Nice Guy Eddie: Excuse me Mr. Pink, but the last fucking thing you need is another cup of coffee.
Mr. Pink: Jesus Christ I mean, these ladies aren't starving to death. They make minimum wage. You know, I used to work minimum wage and when I did I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tipworthy.
Mr. Blue: You don't care if they're counting on your tips to live?
Mr. Pink: [rubbing his middle finger and thumb together] You know what this is? The world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.
Mr. White: You don't have any idea what you're talking about. These people bust their ass. This is a hard job.
Mr. Pink: So is working at McDonald's, but you don't see anyone tip them, do ya? Why not?, they're serving you food. But no, society says don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. That's bullshit!
Mr. White: Waitressing is the number one occupation for female non-college graduates in this country. It's the one job basically any woman can get, and make a living on. The reason is because of their tips.
Mr. Pink: Fuck all that.
Mr. Brown: Jesus Christ.
Mr. Pink: I mean I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's fucked up. That ain't my fault. It would appear to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. If you show me a piece of paper that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And this non-college bullshit you're givin' me, I got two words for that: learn to fuckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big fuckin' surprise.
Mr. Orange: He's convinced me. Gimme my dollar back!

And I'm sure the waitstaff in those countries are paid minimum wage (or below since it is legal for tipped staff)...:rolleyes:

Yeah except here in California it is NOT legal to pay below minimum wage, maybe there are some bassackward states that do that and help perpetuate this "they can get paid less than minimum wage" story but it's not the same everywhere. And here in San Francisco where the minimum wage is $12.25 an hour (and it's going up each year by a buck for the next 3 years), they very often also tack on a "health surcharge" meaning they get fucking health insurance paid for, which itself is also a scam often since that amount is usually more than they actually have to pay.

When I was in college I knew a lot of people who were waiters, and the reason why they were? Because they made a fuck ton of money in tips. Now what that says to me is that a) tipping has gone a little over the top and b) they're not just scraping by with the tip money on top of their salary. Yeah sure there's some 40 something gal in Missouri making $3/hr + tips wearing a Flo name tag even though that's not her name, but obvious this is not the case everywhere. Also there are lots of people in non-tipped jobs getting paid minimum wage that are managing to deal with it, yeah it's tough, it's rough, but WTF do you expect from a job where literally ANYONE can replace you because there is no particular skill set except maybe a short term memory on who ordered what, and the ability to stand on your feet (Ooooooooooh).

"That way they know when I hand it to them that they gave me bad service. I hope it makes more of an impact on them."
The problem with this statement (from the article), and this thread kind of shows it to be true, is that tips are not there as a measure of doing something good but something that is expected or bad shit will happen upon you to your food.

Personally I would be more than happy to pay higher costs via prices on a menu and do away with tipping all together if it truly is a "living wage" type of issue, but I'm afraid tipping is the taxi medallion of the food industry, it's too deeply rooted for it ever to go away in this country.

And I find it funny so many people defending the heavy tip (20% or more) for all but bad service, and yet a sale on something at Newegg "aww screw that, there's sales tax added"

The chip concept is great. I stopped using cards in bars/rest/etc a while ago because of the card swiping mess.

And I find it funny so many people defending the heavy tip (20% or more) for all but bad service, and yet a sale on something at Newegg "aww screw that, there's sales tax added"

hahahaha. It's all psychological man. People get spoiled from Tax free purchases.

Come to Canada, we'll show you how it's done.
We've had chips for over 10 years.

Every restaurant is equipped with wireless terminals that they can bring to your table when you want to pay your bill. You enter the tip, they hand you the receipt, end of story.

Europe has had them for a while too. I'm in the US and just got a chip on one of my cards a few months ago. Just one so far.

Because tipping works for strippers so why not apply it to low wage work to give customers a boner.

Well, then you'll need to undo a century or so of cultural conditioning, adjust wages across the board to compensate, and make unattractive jobs more attractive, so that people will still want to do them. Good luck with that.

I think you're forgetting automation? Yes Chappie bring me my Burger and Fries.

chappie_2015_movie-wide-1024x640.jpg

When's the last time you were able to not pay the government for providing bad service? When does the government ever provide service at the level of someone worthy of a good tip? Big difference there.

It amazes me that people willing to spend $400 on a graphics card (this is an ENTHUSIAST forum) complain about leaving a $2.00 tip on a $10.00 meal. If you're eating in someone else's kitchen, don't bitch about having to leave a tip. If you can afford to pay for restaurant food you can afford the tip. Don't like tipping? Cook your own damned food and STFU. Nobody's forcing you to go to the restaurant.

Never, skip out on a tip. If you do that they may get the impression that you are a tight-wad or just forgot. You must leave no doubt.

If you get shitty service, leave 1 penny. The message will be received.

That's the beauty of these new cards... in the rare instances where a single penny is warranted, you get to look them in the eye and dare them to question it.

I always round up to the nearest 25 cent increment when I am being a douche with the tip. Then they get almost nothing and I get nice looking numbers in my bank statement :p

The two foreign countries I visit most, Germany & Japan, have excellent service and no tipping, and I really haven't had noticably worse service than ordinary in any country without a tipping culture.

Many people in the states lack something you'll find in those two places, work ethic. My 2 cents.

Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?

yeah, everyone yaps about tipping for exceptional service, but what is "exceptional" vs "just doing their job"?

My idea of "exceptional" is butler-level. Have you ever had butler-level service?

I would like to add on to my earlier post. If you don't believe in tipping and don't tip, then stay the fuck home or go to places like McDonald's. Don't be a douche and go somewhere where they rely on tips and tie up someone's table costing them potential income. That just makes you an inconsiderate prick taking advantage of a system and someone who doesn't deserve to be forced to put up with you.

I would like to add on to my earlier post. If you don't believe in tipping and don't tip, then stay the fuck home or go to places like McDonald's. Don't be a douche and go somewhere where they rely on tips and tie up someone's table costing them potential income. That just makes you an inconsiderate prick taking advantage of a system and someone who doesn't deserve to be forced to put up with you.

Holy hell, how many times in this thread are you going to get on your soapbox about the righteous and pure ways of tipping?

NOT a fan of tipping SHITTY service.

I normally tip about 20-25% for good service, but why in the hell would I give a "gratutity" for indifferent or non existent service?

It's not that I don't believe in tipping....I'm just not going to give a tip for shitty ass service. If your downtrodden masses in the service industry don't want to do their job properly....direct your ire at them.

When I have to hunt down the waiter/waitress to get a glass of tea refilled, or to get the fucking Tabasco sauce I asked for WHEN I ordered, or have them simply come by to see if everything is alright....Guess what? NO FUCKING TIP!!!!

My wife and I were treated like half rates @ a fine Italian restaurant on our anniversary last week. Regulars were all around us and were treated like gold. We didnt even receive our bread until after our appetizer and salads were out, let alone another beer (didnt even ask till my meal was done).

We didnt tip, but left a nice note. I felt good about it.

I would gladly grab my food when they called my number and refill my own drink.

Now I would pay a few bucks for them to clean up my plates, but that's where I draw the line. Why pay 20% for a $80 bottle of wine that is insane.

Max tip is $6 for me reguarless of the cost of the meal unless it's a buffet or we have more than 3 people.

My first tipping job I was a busboy. We each had our own server to tend to. As a busboy in the restaurant we brought out all the water/tea and refills, and made sure the guests had anything and everything they needed i.e. condiments etc, removed the dirty dishes, wrapped food to go,reset each table cloth after the guests left. The servers did the rest. I used to get "personal" tips from guests on top of my tips for the night. I think my hourly at the time was around $3.10. The most I ever left with in a night was around $220.

I used to work at Joe's Crabshack. I gave excellent service as well as entertained the guests, those who have been understand the sillyness of the restaurant. I always made great tips, 95% percent of the time. The other 5% I made decent tips, but did not mind one bit because it was my job. Also, I was making $4.20 per hour. I think the most I've made in one night was $250.

Some of these states now, the servers make $10/hr plus tips....I gotta get one of those gigs!

I normally leave 20% unless the server "just does their job", then it drops to 15%.

I don't mind tipping if either of the following happens:

1. If they make it illegal to press the issue. If I feel you deserve a tip, you will get one. If I don't give you a tip, it's because I feel you don't deserve it and I will only pay what I am legally obliged to pay: what is written on the bill.

2. If the waiters feel a constant need for tips, write on the window saying that all purchases will have 10% charged extra on top as tips written on the front door, and the receipt shows EXACTLY how much I have to pay.

I don't mind tip culture barring the tendency for waiters/waitresses ASKING for your tip when you are not giving any. I treat tips as entirely voluntary (no idea if that's actually the case in the US, since I have never been in one). Very few restaurants here in Taiwan gives receipts that give you an option to leave you a tip, and I have never seen or heard of anyone physically asking for it. It is always either written on the front door that X is going towards tips, or it's there on the Credit card receipt. Hell most of us don't even have tipping box.

I think the biggest thing that Grinds my gears is that I don't pay the price I see. I really don't mind tipping if it was either already a set amount added in the final receipt, or I added it myself before making final payment. If anyone asks me for anything else afterwards I get a strong tendency to tell them to, putting it bluntly, shove off.

Taxes falls in line with the above, I do not understand why US or Canadian shops cannot just simply add the taxes to the labels on the products and must insist on adding it at the cashier... it's not like taxes change daily and the supermarket is moving from state to state or province to province on a daily basis...

I'm not a fan of restaurants. I'd rather just make something at home. I would say that most restaurants I have been to the food was complete garbage. The good ones were just okay at best. I could just cook some potates, mash them, add some butter, milk, salt and get a better meal for the next several days than I could at most restaurants.

If a tip is mandatory, expected, or even demanded, it's no longer a tip—it's a shakedown.

When's the last time you were able to not pay the government for providing bad service? When does the government ever provide service at the level of someone worthy of a good tip? Big difference there.
Yes because when people bitch about paying sales tax is TOTALLY because they're upset about government services and not because they'll looking to save 5-9% extra on a deal.

It amazes me that people willing to spend $400 on a graphics card (this is an ENTHUSIAST forum) complain about leaving a $2.00 tip on a $10.00 meal. If you're eating in someone else's kitchen, don't bitch about having to leave a tip. If you can afford to pay for restaurant food you can afford the tip. Don't like tipping? Cook your own damned food and STFU. Nobody's forcing you to go to the restaurant.
Holy fuckballs, it has NOTHING to do with being able to afford the restaurant, if it was then I'd go to Denny's for a $5.99 meal and be done with it. Which leads to the heart of the problem, tipping as a percentage of a meal. Go to Denny's spend $10 on a meal, whoopy $2 is fine because it's a TWO DOLLAR TIP. Now go to to another restaurant where it costs $100 for a meal, the higher end restaurant is absolutely paying more for their cooking staff, in fact they probably don't have cooks, they have CHEFS, so yeah the chef is doing ok. So throwing an extra $20 at a meal becomes a bit more of an expense, and yeah you can argue all you want about if you're spending $100 you can spend an extra $20, well fuck you, who's business is it of yours to tell me when enough is enough. And yeah nobody is forcing me to go to a restaurant, I fucking choose to go, and you know what becomes the ultimate decision, the prices on the menu which the OWNER of the restaurant, i.e. the person who's business I am giving, and who ultimately is who is "cooking my food", and I pay that person based upon what a menu price costs, and paying $25 for an 8 ounce steak that may cost $5-10 in ingredients already says I'm paying a premium over the cost of the food. So kindly STFU when it comes to what people should do with their money. I do tip, because at some point in time tipping was something that was an OPTION for service that was beyond normal, and sometime down the pipe that has mutated into a "it's part of my salary, so you better give me more money" mentally.

Same restaurant, I order the cheap $20 chicken dinner and have a water, the guy next to me orders a $66 lobster dinner and has an overpriced alcoholic beverage. Same waiter, same work, why does one customer have to give him more for doing the same exact thing?

It is not your place to tell anyone to stay home, it is not the waiter's place to do anything bad to the customer for being a "tight wad", you are giving business to the person who owns that restaurant, and if they don't give their workers a fair wage then it's up to the workers to be pissed at the owner not at the customers who are simply paying what it says on the menu.

That is what it really boils down to, the owners are the ones being cheapskates so the onus is on the customer to foot the bill for the owner. If you're working in someplace where a meal for 2 costs less than $20 then yeah getting a tip is going to help, if you're working at a place where the cheapest entree is more expensive than $20 then you're probably in no fucking trouble of "making ends meet", assume you do a 4 hour shift and wait 6 tables, each table is $20 check, a "standard" 15% tip translates to $4.50/hr raise which is pretty significant considering the pay you're probably getting at that rate.

Why do they ask for tips for online or takeout orders?

Short Answer because they can, and it helps lower the wage cost.

...at many locations take out service is handled by the wait staff. IT really depends on the State, but some states allow tipped employees to receive as little as 2.13 cents per hour.

Come to Canada, we'll show you how it's done.
We've had chips for over 10 years.

Every restaurant is equipped with wireless terminals that they can bring to your table when you want to pay your bill. You enter the tip, they hand you the receipt, end of story.

I saw that while staying at Muncho Lake in northern BC and was impressed. They basically had you enter into some sort of keypad.

I stay home now or go to Burger King. At least fast food pays their staff minimum wage and doesn't try to guilt me into paying their staff wages so they don't have to.

I'm voting with my wallet.

It is not your place to tell anyone to stay home, it is not the waiter's place to do anything bad to the customer for being a "tight wad", you are giving business to the person who owns that restaurant, and if they don't give their workers a fair wage then it's up to the workers to be pissed at the owner not at the customers who are simply paying what it says on the menu.

That is what it really boils down to, the owners are the ones being cheapskates so the onus is on the customer to foot the bill for the owner. If you're working in someplace where a meal for 2 costs less than $20 then yeah getting a tip is going to help, if you're working at a place where the cheapest entree is more expensive than $20 then you're probably in no fucking trouble of "making ends meet", assume you do a 4 hour shift and wait 6 tables, each table is $20 check, a "standard" 15% tip translates to $4.50/hr raise which is pretty significant considering the pay you're probably getting at that rate.

Given the hourly wage in TN for servers is $2.13, $6.63/hr doesn't appear attractive. In fact most places will "let you go" if they have to compensate you for the difference between minimum wage and what you technically made. I used to wait tables and I'm glad I got out of the profession because it sucks even if you make "ok" money. For every person who makes $20+/hr waiting tables there are 10 making minimum wage. Just my $0.02.

Same waiter, same work, why does one customer have to give him more for doing the same exact thing?

Actually, more than 9/10 the guy who orders the lobster requires more work from the server. High maintenance food. Also servers, in some restaurants, have to tip the bartenders for the drinks they make.

I don't buy a $400 video card often. Maybe once every 2 years. So what? $0.56 a day? You're right, I'll stay home. At least a video card doesn't expect me to pay an extra 20% on something I'm just going to turn into poop.

Back