New Corsair Power Supplies at NewEgg Now

Did anyone else notice that the 430CX only has 28A on the +12V rail now? Compared to the 400CX which had 30A on the +12V rail. Odd.

Yeah.., I would at least have expected it to have the same capacity there as the CX400. If it is going to replace that unit. (As it would seem weird to have two models on sale that are so close together),

I think the 950tx for $130AR is pretty good myself, on sale now.

Damn straight.:cool:
Unfortunately, there just end up being so many unused lines, they just are so hard to hide.
Honestly, the molex 4 pin should just be slimmed down to one cable.....and forget the floppy connector altogether.

All PSUs should just be modular anyway.:D

Damn straight.:cool:
Unfortunately, there just end up being so many unused lines, they just are so hard to hide.

I cant agree more!!! I have had fully modular PSU for about 5 years now and about to upgrade from a Ultra PSU to a Corsair. One thing i like is how the main mother board cable is hard wired rather then fully modular on the model im getting. Iv had some problem in the past where the MB cable to the PSU gets loose at times and causes problems. I mean the MB cable has to be used so whats the point in making that cable modular?

I mean the MB cable has to be used so whats the point in making that cable modular?

There are a few advantages I can think of, such as easy replacement, easier custom sleeving, and more consistent cabling. One of the things I dislike is when a PSU manufacturer provides these awesome modular cables that are flexible, but then the non-modular cables might as well be made out of steel tubing for how hard they are to route around.

For the diy'er a modular 24pin cable could be a nice feature since you can easily switch it out with your own cable, tailored to the length, connectors, sleeving that you want.
Though personally, I don't think I would bother doing 2 sides of a 24-wire cable. thats 24 wires to measure out, 48 ends to strip, and 48 pins to crimp.

I'd bite if they brought out a 650w version for around $140.

Hmm, those are pretty nice looking. I'm tempted, but I think I've got way too many power supplies already :x Might be a good opportunity to pick up some of the older models though, if they happen to go on a good sale.

Got mine from NCIX for 275$ CAN (after price-match). That's without taxes and shipping, but still not that bad... My M12D-850 was still going on strong, but I'm a sucker for new toys. :D

I like the fact that the AX1200 is single rail versus the 2 rail HX1000. No need to balance the load between the rails when doing SLI. I much prefer the single rail after dealing with multiple rail supplies.

I like the fact that the AX1200 is single rail versus the 2 rail HX1000. No need to balance the load between the rails when doing SLI. I much prefer the single rail after dealing with multiple rail supplies.
With a properly-designed PSU you will never need to balance the load across the rails. The way the connectors are set up will take care of that for you. Multi-rail PSUs are better.

Honest question ... say you have a 600w power supply with (4) 12v rails and you install a 280 video card. Each rail is only rated for ~150w and the card can pull well over 200w even though the entire system draws less than 600w. Will the other (unused) rails suppport the overloaded rail?

The same scenario could play out with an HX1000 and 2 rails if you have (2) 480's.

The card will distribute its load over 3 rails, if the PSU is balanced properly by the manufacturer. The PCIe slot will supply power on one rail, and the two PCIe connectors needed will be on each of their own rails.

(Example: PCIe slot = 12V1 , PCIe connector1 = 12V3, PCIe connector2 = 12V4). While 12V2 might be reserved for the CPU alone.

Honest question ... say you have a 600w power supply with (4) 12v rails and you install a 280 video card. Each rail is only rated for ~150w and the card can pull well over 200w even though the entire system draws less than 600w. Will the other (unused) rails suppport the overloaded rail?

The same scenario could play out with an HX1000 and 2 rails if you have (2) 480's.

It's important to take a step back and define the word "rail" here.

Most of the time, when manufacturers are talking about "multiple rails" what they're saying is that they split the physical connectors into groups and place a separate OCP point on each group. For example, the initial prototypes of our HX620 was a three-rail setup with OCP set at 18A per group. This, of course, didn't mean that the HX620 could do 54A on the +12V rail, because rails don't work like that. But we eventually removed that OCP setup before the product went live for a number of reasons.

On other products, like the HX1000, there are two separate and individual +12V sources, each producing its own +12V power, and each becoming its own "rail". There will be a real difference (although slight) in the voltage regulation, efficiency, ripple/noise, etc, of each source. For example, on the HX1000, 12V1 might be 12.09V and 12V2 might be 11.96V or something. Usually this doesn't have any real effect, but theoretically, if you somehow connected one +12V1 connector and one +12V2 connector to the same video card, it could stress the voltage regulation components on that card more than if it were only the same rail, which is why on the HX1000 we clearly mark +12V1 and +12V2 and advise people to use one or the other on an individual card.

In reality, the rails are "max" points. Kind of like if you had a pump that could pump 1000 gallons/hour, and a series of six tubes that can each carry 300 gallons/hour. If one tube is pumping 150 gallons/hour and another is pumping 100 gallons/hour, the remainder from their max point isn't wasted, it's still there at the source. So with a multi-rail PSU you don't "lose" power in any way, the builder just has to make sure that he doesn't do something stupid like put all the PCI-E connectors on a single +12V rail with a 30A trip point on a 850W PSU.

HX 750 is 140 and 130 after MIR unless someone is folding 24/7 it's rather impossible to save 35/45$ diffrence against AX750 over years when this one has a 1-2% advantage (hx 750/850 are already on border of gold certificate).

Thanks all (particularly Redbeard) that makes a lot of sense. The only comment is that Corsair is the only company that I am aware of that actually identifies what rail each connector is attached to. If others do not take the time to label the connectors, most people will simply assume that it does not matter.

Even with the detailed description, my personal experience has been that my system is more stable with a single rail supply. I am sure that my experience is not statistically significant but it is all that I have to go on. I plan to order the new AX1200 in the near future.

Thanks again for the information.

There are a few advantages I can think of, such as easy replacement, easier custom sleeving, and more consistent cabling. One of the things I dislike is when a PSU manufacturer provides these awesome modular cables that are flexible, but then the non-modular cables might as well be made out of steel tubing for how hard they are to route around.

Good points!! Guess having many problems in the past with fully modular makes me appreciate the semi modular.

HX 750 is 140 and 130 after MIR unless someone is folding 24/7 it's rather impossible to save 35/45$ diffrence against AX750 over years when this one has a 1-2% advantage (hx 750/850 are already on border of gold certificate).

I bit on the 750hx, to good of a deal to pass up. Got it today and couldn't be happier as it looks, feels and performs like a well built machine. O and that velvet bag it comes in:D

Yeah i know i installed mine yesterday :) That was first PSU that made the geek inside me drooling ;) Now i can forget about psus for next 5+ years :D

It's a nice unit. I bought my HX750 this winter, it's working out well for me, no hitches. Was even on sale, 25% off when I got it, so even sweeter a deal.

Hmmm the most mouthwatering PSU there is the AX1200. But I don't think I need to be looking for new psu for a while. Good looking stuff though.
That's the ironic thing about good PSUs, they lower demand on the market for them, because they won't need to be replaced for a good number of years.

I know I'm biased in this, but the best thing about a fully modular PSU is that you can route all your cables and plug them into all your devices BEFORE putting the PSU in the case. It doesn't sound like much but it gives you tons and tons of room to work in a smaller case, and even in bigger cases, a cable with only one side attached to something (for example, an 8pin hanging down from the top of the case near the CPU power connector) is easier to zip tie and route.

Got my AX850 the other day. I was surprised they didn't label the connectors though. Hopefully I don't use the wrong ones by mistake.

In my opinion it would be a good idea update the (Corsair's) Website for including the new models. It makes me difficult to understand how can be a product like the CX430 on sale on Newegg and nothing on the brand's website. sniff...
I hope not to happen the same thing with the 500W and 600W models.

In my opinion it would be a good idea update the (Corsair's) Website for including the new models. It makes me difficult to understand how can be a product like the CX430 on sale on Newegg and nothing on the brand's website. sniff...
I hope not to happen the same thing with the 500W and 600W models.

Our website is being revised now, the new CX products should be up in the near future.

Thanks all (particularly Redbeard) that makes a lot of sense. The only comment is that Corsair is the only company that I am aware of that actually identifies what rail each connector is attached to. If others do not take the time to label the connectors, most people will simply assume that it does not matter.

Even with the detailed description, my personal experience has been that my system is more stable with a single rail supply. I am sure that my experience is not statistically significant but it is all that I have to go on. I plan to order the new AX1200 in the near future.

Thanks again for the information.

I know zalman lists their rail distribution as well, there are other companies out there which do so as well(some antec models i believe...can't remember off top of my head), among others.

nice, but my original corsair hx620 is still kicking ass

Same here. :)

The X-650 might work better for me on my next build, as its ALL modular, and I was hoping to go m-ITX. A buddy of mine has an HX620 on a PC-Q08 and the ATX connector alone was eating up way too much space.

Is it normal for the AX850 fan to not spin. I read that it doesn't spin when its below a certain temp or what not. But just making sure.

Did anyone else notice that the 430CX only has 28A on the +12V rail now? Compared to the 400CX which had 30A on the +12V rail. Odd.

Corsair has also changed OEMs on its low-end CX series PSU:

Unlike the 400CX, which was made by Seasonic, the 430CX is made by CWT.

Back