New Core I7 build.

SulSeeker

Gawd
Hi [H],
so I'm building a new gaming machine since I sold my rig (see sig,) and I have a working budget of 1500, so I'm looking to save as much money as possible (mail in rebates, combo specials, etc.) This a ground up build and I'm replacing everything, and want feedback...

1) What will you be doing with this PC? - Gaming!
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? $1500 (inc Ship, no tax)
3) Where do you live? Oregon
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? Listed below
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? All new parts
6) Will you be overclocking? Moderate (IE 3.2 on stock cooler for now)
7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have? Buying also (1920x1200)
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Building
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? Xfire support
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? Sure.

Case:
Antec P182 $129.99

CPU:
Intel Core I7 920 $289.99

PSU:
Corsair 650W $74.99 ($20.00 MIR)

Mobo:
MSI X58 Pro $199.99

GPU:
MSI 4870 1GB $254.99 (-$30 combo w/ mobo + -$25 MIR)

RAM:
G.Skill 6GB DDR3-1333 $139.99

HDD:
WD 500GB SATAII 7200 HDD $64.99

DVD:
LG DVD-/+RW $21.99

Display:
Westinghouse 26" LCD 1920x1200 $250.00 (free shipping)

Other than an awesome deal coming out this week or we find some parts cheaper @ frys, shipping from Newegg is $16.00, for a grand total of $1421.48 (not counting MIR's.) and if MIR's come through than I'll get 5.1 speakers, keyboard, and G5 mouse. I think I'm doing ok, but I know there are alot of bargain hunters around here and can point me to saving a few bucks here and there.

Get one of the Western Digital 640GB hard drives instead, as they'll be significantly faster than the 500GB drive.

Out of curiosity, which games are you going to play with this system? Do you plan on buying a second HD4870 soon (like, within the next six months)?

Lotta LAN's with this thing, Needs to last until PDXLAN 14, so COD4 & 5, Farcry 2, older stuff like flatout 2, BF1942, BfV and BF2, and of course WoW with the Girlfriend. Nothing that's going to tax the 4870 besides FC2 @ 19x12, and even that I'm not all that worried about it. I could even do 4830 CF to save money, but I really don't want to.

Case - Good choice

CPU - Good

PSU - I'd recommend this PC P&C 750W for $5 more AR

Mobo - Haven't heard much about that motherboard...it must be new. If you can stretch your budget, I'd suggest looking at something that is tested and praised such as the Asus P6T Deluxe

GPU - HIS 4870 1GB for $199.99 AR. Use the money you save to get a good aftermarket cooler. My vote (as always) goes for the Thermalright HR-03 GT but the price is a bit steep at $50.

RAM - For $5 less, you can get 6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 which is better for OCing.

HDD - Spend $5 more and get the 640GB (2 x 320GB platters) Western Digital Black AALS drive.

DVD - Good

Display - Take some time to browse through the "Display" forum and read about this and the different types of panels. There's a good deal on the 28" HannsG display right now ($320 from Costco) as well as a good deal on other monitors (such as the Dell 2209WA, which has an e-IPS panel).

PSU - I'd recommend this PC P&C 750W for $5 more AR

I don't need that much PS. My previous I7 build pulled at most 275W from the wall (measured w/ a friends Kill-a-watt.) If Anything I'd go down to a 600. And RED? come on man. :p

Mobo - Haven't heard much about that motherboard...it must be new. If you can stretch your budget, I'd suggest looking at something that is tested and praised such as the Asus P6T Deluxe

GPU - HIS 4870 1GB for $199.99 AR. Use the money you save to get a good aftermarket cooler. My vote (as always) goes for the Thermalright HR-03 GT but the price is a bit steep at $50.

Mobo and GPU are $199 each with this combo deal, and why an aftermarket cooler that doesn't vent rear-ward? Just curious.

Thanks for the heads up on the ram, and I'll check out the display subsection. I have a week before I make my purchase so I'll keep this thread updated.

just a word of advice...
P182 isnt the best thing for LAN...
this thing is damn heavy... just the case itself itz already 30lbs!
i mean i have this thing and i love it! but i only use it at home and let it sit there :D

but if u do have the money... the 4870 is gonna be better then 4830 CF...
because u can always use another 4870 later... and u dont need as much power or money when u want to add another card ;)

4850 x2 is about $230 these days... Which makes it a better option than the 4870 at this time.

I don't need that much PS. My previous I7 build pulled at most 275W from the wall (measured w/ a friends Kill-a-watt.)

And you should take Kill-A-Watt readings with a grain of salt:
Yes and a quick search would turn up this topic a million times over. Here is the recap:

1) APFC can fool Kill-A-Watts into giving you abnormally low readings (some times giving better than 100% efficiency)

2) Power supplies derate with temperature anywhere from 2w/c above a nominal rated at value to 10w/c.

3) Kill-A-Watt's and most power meters sample too slowly to catch transient loads (the Transient load from our tests is 117w and is COMPLETELY missed by Kill-A-Watts).

4) Power supplies last longer if you stay in the 40% to 60% range of their output.

5) power supplies are quieter if you stay in the 40% to 60% range of their output.

6) Power supplies are cooler if you stay in the 40% to 60% range of their output.

The power meters in UPS software are just as bad. You have to spend some change before you get anywhere near an accurate power meter when your PSU has APFC.

In addition, note that the PC P&C costs exactly the same as the Corsair 650TX now before rebate yet only $5 more after rebate.

I don't need that much PS. My previous I7 build pulled at most 275W from the wall (measured w/ a friends Kill-a-watt.) If Anything I'd go down to a 600. And RED? come on man. :p

You don't need it now, but it's still better than that Corsair and gives you a bit of headroom for $5 more. Who cares if it's red, its inside the case and you can't see it.

Mobo and GPU are $199 each with this combo deal, and why an aftermarket cooler that doesn't vent rear-ward? Just curious.

That is one of the best GPU coolers. Not everything has to blow rearward...it sucks from the bottom and blows straight onto the GPU.

what's wrong with red? Its not like the P182 has a window. :p

QFT. Some people are just paranoid about the things inside their case that they can't even see. Like that guy who paid $40 more to have a green video card to match other parts in his case (which was closed 99% of the time).

Back