• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

New Computer.

bluefireex

n00b
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
7
I have this 3 year old VPR Matrix :( :( That my dad bought without asking me first. Well its pretty crappy. Now to the point I wanted to builld a computer that could play games at medium or higher settings. My problem is that I can't decide on which parts to get since this will be my first time build a computer. I was thinking of a PCI-E based system and a Athlon based. I have a budget of ~$800-1200.
 
No, I dont have a extra moniter, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc...

Would it be better if I got a 6800 GS 256MB PCI-E, Instead? Just want to know if that would be wise or not?
 
bluefireex said:
Would it be better if I got a 6800 GS 256MB PCI-E, Instead? Just want to know if that would be wise or not?

That would matter entirely on whether or not you wanted to spend the extra hundred bucks. The 7800GT is the better card.
 
You can pick up a Dell Ultrasharp or Hyndai L90 19" LCD for around $300. That leaves $900 for the build.

Athlon 64 3200+ $170
DFI NF4 Ultra Infinity $100
2GB Corsair Value $150
6800 GS $180
Chaintech AV710 $25
WD2500KS $100
NEC 3550A $45
Antec Sonata II w/450w $100

Comes out to $870 before shipping. Mouse/keyboard/speakers are very subjective, I like to leave that to the user's preference.
 
bluefireex said:
No, I dont have a extra moniter, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc...

Would it be better if I got a 6800 GS 256MB PCI-E, Instead? Just want to know if that would be wise or not?

6800 GS will push most newer games at 1280x1024 with ops on. Enough for a 19" LCD which fits in your budget nicely.
 
Here is the current list: List

I chose a 17" monitor, because I thought it would be good enough and wanted something under or near $200. Also I kept the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, and chose a eVGA 6800GS CO SE 256MB PCI-E instead of a eVGA 7800GT CO SE 256MB PCI-E. Also got a cheaper PSU. I have two DVD Media drives, because I wanted the ability to copy Cd's and DVD's directly instead of uploading on to HD first. If you feel that I need to have something changed, please feel free to tell me so.
 
Budget Build = 754!

Hehe

Antec Case and PSU combo(400 Watt+)
DFI N4X Ifinity (Socket 754)
AMD 754 2800+ Sempron(This cpu will game just fine, i have a 2600+, plays bf 2 no problems)
2 GIGs DDR500 G.skill ram
7800GT or 7900GT(unreleased)
250 GIG HD(SATA!)
19" LCD

Not quite sure what the total is, but it should be in your budget, if you have extra money, get a ATI X1900XT and a Dell 20" Widescreen LCD.
 
Back
Top