New Computer for Work

1) What will you be doing with this PC?
It will be used at work, mostly for the adobe suite and coding.

2) What's your budget?
Probably around $800 MAYBE $1000. I'd shoot for 800 if not less.

3) Which country do you live in?
US, California. Somewhat close to a fry's so I can price match microcenter.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
Case, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, HD, Screen, Mouse, Keyboard. I want to try and use integrated graphics to run these programs unless someone can think of a good reason I shouldn't.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
No.

6) Will you be overclocking?
No.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Don't have one, the bigger the better. I'd hope for around 20 if not 23.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard?
Integrated graphics.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Windows 7 64bit

Thanks guys!

Which version of the Adobe Creative Suite are you going to use on that build?

You see, if you are using an old version of the Creative Suite (CS4 or earlier), there is no reason whatsoever to go heavy on the GPU. If you are using CS5, you will need any plain old Nvidia GeForce card with 1GB or more VRAM. But if you're going to use CS5.5 or CS6, then you will need a relatively powerful GeForce card such as a GTX 660. (AMD Radeon GPUs cannot use GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro CS5 or later due to the fact that the Windows versions of Premiere Pro still do not support OpenCL for GPU acceleration, as MPE GPU acceleration in Premiere only works with CUDA Nvidia GPUs.)

CPU wise, go with an i7-3770 (the non-K version of that CPU will suffice as that system will not be overclocked). A B75 instead of a Z77 motherboard will save you some money. Do not get an AMD CPU as it performs relatively poorly in certain Adobe programs such as Premiere Pro.

System RAM-wise, go with 16GB of DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600 RAM that's rated at 1.5V.

Ahh, I prbably should have mentioned and I'll go ahead and edit my post. Premiere is probably to one Adobe program I won't be using. Should I really still go for a dedicated GPU? For the rest of the adobe suite I'll be running CS6. Thanks for the input thus far.

Ahh, I prbably should have mentioned and I'll go ahead and edit my post. Premiere is probably to one Adobe program I won't be using. Should I really still go for a dedicated GPU? For the rest of the adobe suite I'll be running CS6. Thanks for the input thus far.

Well, Photoshop can make use of OpenCL GPU acceleration. You would still want at least a middle-level AMD Radeon or Nvidia GeForce GPU if you're going to run Photoshop frequently (but note that Radeons generally perform better than otherwise comparably performing GeForces in OpenCL).

Which edition of Windows 7 do you have? Home Premium? Pro?

I have win 7 professional 64.

So here's a tentative build I put together

Components - Cost - Name
Case - 39.99 - NZXT Technologies Source 210
Motherboard - 94.99 - ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU- 118.99 - Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (or 3220/3225)
PSU - 45.99 - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V
GPU????
HD - 84.99 - Western Digital WD Blue 1TB
RAM - 47.99 - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
Monitor - 160.99 - ASUS VH232H Glossy Black 23"
Keyboard - 66.98 - CM Store QuickFire Rapid
Mouse - 16.99 - GIGABYTE GM-M6800
Disk Drive - 17.99 - Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

Total So Far

My biggest questions are, A. is it compatible?, B. Any ideas on how to get the cost down?, C. good advice on a well priced GPU?

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it.

uhh why such an expensive gaming keyboard? I see a problem with that i3 processor from experience here at work when my boss bought a pc with one it was laggy as shit.

My biggest questions are, A. is it compatible?, B. Any ideas on how to get the cost down?, C. good advice on a well priced GPU?

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it.

A) It's compatible but not all that great.
B) Yes and no. I'll break it down a little later in the post.
C) See above.

Case - 39.99 - NZXT Technologies Source 210
Not that good of a choice for the money. I recommend this better case instead:
$45 - Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Case

Motherboard - 94.99 - ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75 ATX Intel Motherboard
That's a good mobo but considering your answer to question 9 and your budget, you should be fine with this:
$75 - Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Intel B75 mATX Motherboard

CPU- 118.99 - Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (or 3220/3225)
Considering your usage, I would highly recommend spending the extra cash for a quad-core Intel like this:
$176 - Intel Core i5-2310 CPU

Shot in the dark here but maybe the HD 7770 or GTX 650 TI (if the latter is under $150).

HD - 84.99 - Western Digital WD Blue 1TB.
I think that's the pricing of the WD Black drive, not the blue. The Blue, which is also the drive I recommend instead of the Black, costs $75:
http://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-Deskt...f=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358981895

RAM - 47.99 - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
That RAM is a bit overpriced. I recommend this RAM instead:
$35 - Patriot Memory PSD38G13332 Signature 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM

uhh why such an expensive gaming keyboard? I see a problem with that i3 processor from experience here at work when my boss bought a pc with one it was laggy as shit.

Laggy as shit for every day general use or for video editing/coding?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Laggy as shit for every day general use or for video editing/coding?

just loading windows 7 pro it lags out sometimes, forget trying video editing, i wouldnt even use photoshop on that i3, i5 minimum for cs6, i got an i5 2520m on my laptop that has photoshop cs6 on it. couldnt use the laptop that had the i3

Hmm something sounds seriously wrong with that PC. My sister's Core i3 is pretty snappy even with the photoshop work she occasionally does. Not as fast as a Core i5 of course but still pretty snappy in every day use.

I agree with everything Danny pointed out, since I started this reply to make those changes myself.

just loading windows 7 pro it lags out sometimes, forget trying video editing, i wouldnt even use photoshop on that i3, i5 minimum for cs6, i got an i5 2520m on my laptop that has photoshop cs6 on it. couldnt use the laptop that had the i3

I have to agree with Danny on this as well. I'm not even using an i3, but a slower Pentium G860 for my HTPC and that PC has no issues AT ALL loading Windows 7, playing HD content. I even played L4D on it with the built in HD Graphics @ 1680x1050 resolution with no issues.

However, due to the usage and since he has the budget, I do recommend him going with the i5 Danny suggested.

Hmm something sounds seriously wrong with that PC. My sister's Core i3 is pretty snappy even with the photoshop work she occasionally does. Not as fast as a Core i5 of course but still pretty snappy in every day use.

well its the same on 6 laptops that were purchased with them processors and they all act the same way. My e8400 blows em out of the water.

Back