New computer for mom, win 7, 32 or 64 bit?

Hades12

Limp Gawd
I am doing a new build for my mom. it will be used for general internet, some streaming netflix to the tv, and quickbooks. Any real good reason to use win 7 64bit? 4gb of memory.

thanks

Security and being able to use all of your memory. Use 32-bit if you can't use 64-bit.

Go with the 64bit version, not too many reasons to go with 32bit version if its for what you described.

I have not really used ether one. installed the 32 bit a few times for other people and used it on their computer but I have not had time to keep up with the difference of the two.

x64 has root kit protection, which is very good for a mom I'd think. Just about everything works in x64 for a while now, personally I'd always install x64 unless you knew you needed otherwise. Try googling her apps/hardware to see if they work in x64 if you're concerned.

64bit is the way to go now. All the issues have been ironed out and all you have left is pretty much the benefits of a 64bit system.

64bit for sure. The only troubles I ran into with 64bit was with the Media Center software and codecs. I had to install both 32bit and 64bit for them to work right even though Media Player worked just fine without help. Vista was this way as well. 7 is much improved though in this category. YMMV

64bit for sure. The only troubles I ran into with 64bit was with the Media Center software and codecs. I had to install both 32bit and 64bit for them to work right even though Media Player worked just fine without help. Vista was this way as well. 7 is much improved though in this category. YMMV

Not sure from your post if you realize this, but the default WMP in x64 Windows is 32-bit, while WMC is x64 only. You can set WMP x64 as the default (google if you want to know). That's why you needed 32-bit codecs for WMP and 64-bit codecs for WMC. Just FYI.

Yes, I am aware. But many people don't know that you need to install the 32 and 64bit codecs in WMC and was making sure the OP knew that since he asked for differences.

Why would you not use 64 bit? This isn't even a question IMO.

Well their question had a question mark in it, so I'm pretty sure it was a question.

With that said - if the computer in question has 4gb of RAM, you might as well go 64-bit. It works fine with non 64-bit programs and will be able to utilize all of the RAM. I mean, though I doubt your mom will likely ever actually need the whole 4gb, hey - it's there just in case ;)

If you're going 4GB, then go with 64-bit. Most Windows 7 PC's are shipping with 64 bit OSes anyways.

However, I don't recommend 64-bit for all situations. I recently built my mother a new PC with only 2GB of memory and am using Vista 32 on it.

64-bit period.
I love this kind of advice because it's so generic without any thought other than the OS itself. Sure 64 bit Windows is great if you're only running the OS itself with nothing else installed.

I recently got off the phone with a software distributor who's product is not updated frequently. The software runs on Windows 7 32 bit but not 64. Unfortunately, it's not always as easy as finding a new software because sometimes there are only one option.

The only reason I would go with 32 bit over 64 bit is if you are using less than 4gb of ram or you have hardware that isn't 64bit compatible.

I love this kind of advice because it's so generic without any thought other than the OS itself. Sure 64 bit Windows is great if you're only running the OS itself with nothing else installed.

I recently got off the phone with a software distributor who's product is not updated frequently. The software runs on Windows 7 32 bit but not 64. Unfortunately, it's not always as easy as finding a new software because sometimes there are only one option.

Then its junkware that needs to be replaced. I have yet to see any 32bit App that wouldn't run on Win 7 x64. That is pretty much any App that was running on Win XP 32 bit. If it stopped being supported at Windows XP then its not worth keeping.

The only exception is when there are hardware drivers that only exist in 32 bit form. In that case I would not buy from that hardware manufacturer again.

Which software?

Then its junkware that needs to be replaced. I have yet to see any 32bit App that wouldn't run on Win 7 x64. That is pretty much any App that was running on Win XP 32 bit. If it stopped being supported at Windows XP then its not worth keeping.

The only exception is when there are hardware drivers that only exist in 32 bit form. In that case I would not buy from that hardware manufacturer again.

I guess you haven't been in the corporate world then? I work at a Semi dealership and pretty much every piece of software for connecting to the semi's ecm is xp only, a few support vista, only one actually supports windows 7. The software is made by the manufacturers of the trucks/parts, can't really go to an alternative when there is none.

So what replacement software do you suggest? :rolleyes:

I guess you haven't been in the corporate world then? I work at a Semi dealership and pretty much every piece of software for connecting to the semi's ecm is xp only, a few support vista, only one actually supports windows 7. The software is made by the manufacturers of the trucks/parts, can't really go to an alternative when there is none.

i know exactly what you are talking about and have been a factory direct service person once, i know as well as you do. on that topic i would say the ones not supporting Win 7 are behind and should be encouraged to get with the times.....

but read the topic:

new computer for MOM

I am doing a new build for my mom. it will be used for general internet, some streaming netflix to the tv, and quickbooks. Any real good reason to use win 7 64bit? 4gb of memory.

if it said new computer to use with proprietary software stuck in 1995 with no alternatives than i would recommend a dual boot pc with both or even one that could run XP in a virtual environment when needed.....

but read the topic:

I did read it and posted earlier already. I am responding to your blanket statement of not using stuff if it isnt supported in win7 64bit not nescessarily to the thread since I already posted about it.

Do they not work under compatibility mode? Even if they are checking OS version, you can version lie to most apps with no ill reprecussions.

Do they not work under compatibility mode? Even if they are checking OS version, you can version lie to most apps with no ill reprecussions.

Nope, they don't work at all under win 7, we have to use win 7 professional and do the xp mode to get them to work, kind of lame.

As long as the hardware has 64-bit drivers (which, if you're buying new stuff or anything made in the past 5 years, it most certainly will) then go with 64-bit. All 32-bit software will run fine on it. Only very old-school 16-bit software might have trouble running (think of the DOOM II days...yeah, back in the mid-90s).

At 4GB the only real issue is compatibility with the other hardware and software being used. If 64 bit is good to go use it. If not use the 32 bit and don't be greatly concerned about it.

Why would you not use 64 bit? This isn't even a question IMO.

Compatibility. For a home user this isn't as big of a deal as in the business world. Biggest issue I'd see for most is printer drivers. An older printer might work with windows 7 32 bit but not with 64 bit. We have seen this issue a few times. Same if she uses any special software. A good example is sewing pattern software. I've seen a few that wouldn't run on 64bit although by now they might.

Yea we have deployed a good amount of 32 bit windows 7 machines because of software issues. We have downgraded a few as well for software that just doesn't run on it. Generally speaking we try to run 64bit os on new machines if we can. I think printers and copiers have been holding us up as of late. Dropping a few grand to replace aging printers and copiers that run but don't have 64bit drivers is really not an option vs just loading the 32 bit versions of windows for the time being.

Most of the software at this point is now running in x64 although it might mean and expensive upgrade.

People who make such blanket statements about x32 being junk need to slow their roll and quit drinking the IT 'I'm too Kool-Aid'. x32 has a definite purpose, hence why it is being sold about 50% of the time by OEMs. x64 is definitely nice, and should be used if possible, but their are plenty of scenarios where x32 is useful. The 'latest and greatest' versions of apps are not always better than the older versions. Believe it or not, some companies release new versions just to sell and make more money, they don't have the end users interests at heart.

If you build for your Mom is anything like the builds I made for my relatives, then you may be recycling used/older hardware, and re-using their favorite software. Definitely check to see if their software is compatible first. Your Mom will likely not notice a difference between the system using 3GB or 4GB of RAM.

Some examples:

1. Older versions of Quickbooks, DVD playback software, Paint Shop Pro, Christmas card making software, etc. I was able to get my Mother's software working in x32, not x64.

2. Some hardware works in x32 not x64. Older web cams and audio cards are great examples. In my case, my Mother's web cam and sound card worked fine with default drivers built into x32, but would not install, and no driver hacks would work, for x64.

I'm not trying to take a dump in anyone's cereal in this thread, so please don't be offended. I'm just pointing out reasons where x32 DOES fit better than x64.

Now with that said, definitely use Win7 over XP unless absolutely necessary. Also, if you are not recycling anything then I'd also go x64.

I got all the parts in yesterday and built up the PC, I did get the x32 , She uses quickbooks 09 and I wanted to test my quickbook point of sale 5.0 on it, just to see if it will run on 7 at all. Quickbooks dropped all support for it two years ago and at $1400 for the new version I want to see if the old one will run or not. The memory was $40 for 4gb, so cheep that it does not matter if it only uses 3.5 or not. She has some older genology SW also and they did not list 7 at all so we are just crossing our fingers on it at this point.

People who make such blanket statements about x32 being junk need to slow their roll and quit drinking the IT 'I'm too Kool-Aid'. x32 has a definite purpose, hence why it is being sold about 50% of the time by OEMs. x64 is definitely nice, and should be used if possible, but their are plenty of scenarios where x32 is useful. The 'latest and greatest' versions of apps are not always better than the older versions. Believe it or not, some companies release new versions just to sell and make more money, they don't have the end users interests at heart.

If you build for your Mom is anything like the builds I made for my relatives, then you may be recycling used/older hardware, and re-using their favorite software. Definitely check to see if their software is compatible first. Your Mom will likely not notice a difference between the system using 3GB or 4GB of RAM.

Some examples:

1. Older versions of Quickbooks, DVD playback software, Paint Shop Pro, Christmas card making software, etc. I was able to get my Mother's software working in x32, not x64.

2. Some hardware works in x32 not x64. Older web cams and audio cards are great examples. In my case, my Mother's web cam and sound card worked fine with default drivers built into x32, but would not install, and no driver hacks would work, for x64.

I'm not trying to take a dump in anyone's cereal in this thread, so please don't be offended. I'm just pointing out reasons where x32 DOES fit better than x64.

Now with that said, definitely use Win7 over XP unless absolutely necessary. Also, if you are not recycling anything then I'd also go x64.

Fifty percent? More like FIVE percent (and those are always customized installs, especially the bigger OEMs, such as Dell, HP, even Lenovo). Toshiba has banished x32 from even the options (except for their netbooks). Also, there are options for those *legacy* devices that provide greater features, are not x64-hostile, and, in a lot of cases, even cost less.

1. VirtualBox *or* Windows VirtualPC (cost-none): Those x64-hostile *Mom* applications often (if not always) work just fine in virtual machines, as they generally *don't* require DirectX. (VirtualBox 4.0.4, the current version, is a great alternative to Windows VirtualPC where the host is 7 Home Premium x64.)

2. x64-ready hardware. The biggest issues there tend to be printers and webcams, not sound cards so much, unless you are talking sound cards *older* than Creative's Audigy 2 line (which is x64 ready, as are the hardware-acclerated versions of the X-FI (which goes back to 2005); how old are we discussing here?) In the case of printers and webcams, the modern versions have greater features (more bang for the buck) and often cost less (considerably less, in the case of printers, especially all-in-ones, that I loathe on principle, as most are badly designed). I'm looking to replace my current (and x64-ready) webcam (Logitech Communicate STX) - all the replacements I've looked at (especially the C70, the successor to the STX) cost less than the STX did new and have far greater features and performance besides.

3. x64-ready refurbs? Believe it or not, there are refurbished older computers that, despite having Windows XP SP2/3 on them, are fully x64-ready (including all the drivers) - the reason they have XP is price, not lack of x64 support. My own mother's current PC (HP DC7600) is a prime example; it was refurbished by Joy Systems (sold via MicroCenter) and came with XP SP3; however, the HD was blanked (by me) and 7 Ultimate x64 is now happily living on it (the legacy desktop it replaced was running 7 Ultimate x32). It can be upgraded to an extent (not the CPU, but the RAM slots are DDR2, and there are four of them; and even though it has onboard Intel G31 graphics, it also has a PCIe x16 slot for a discrete graphics option; when I am able to replace my HD5450 with something beefier, Mom can get it).

Since this question seems to come up quite often around here, I'd thought I might brush up on my noobish Visio skills and whip up a handy dandy flowchart for future reference.

windowsx8664decision.png

edit: ah, nuts, looks like I've fallen for a month old thread bump. :(

Some examples:

32bit is dead, time to get with the program.....there are several security flaws that will NEVER get fixed with the 32bit code and that's just life man.....

I have very little hardware that will not work in x64 and I got some ANCIENT stuff by today's standards like SB PCI, Creative WC ultra (the original one) SB Live! series hardware, original Linksys BT adapter, etc

My father in law has a really old program that only works in DOS, It did not work in XP so he kept an old windows 98 pc around for that software. Last year I built him an new pc with windows 7 64 and that old software runs perfectly. Win 7 and backwards compatibility is a non-issue. Go with 64 and 4 gigs of RAM, it is only like $40 now anyway.

Back