New Computer Build

debrain

Weaksauce
Alright, after get a list of parts for the new computer I came here to get some input. Im looking at around $500-600 for all the parts. The parts im saving from this computer are the keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

Ill be using this computer mainly for school, games, and movies.

Case: Antec Sonata III 500 $99. Was going to get this case from buy.com but they dont have it at $80 anymore.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ $87

CPU Heatsink and Fan: XIGMATEK HDT-S963 $24.99
Scythe SY1225SL12L $8.99
XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 $6.99

MOBO: BIOSTAR TForce TF8200 $89.99 Not to sure on the motherboard. Dont need anything fancy but onboard audio.

RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)

GPU: Radeon HD 4850 $182.99

DVD Burner: Lite-On Sata $23.99

Monitors: Im looking for a 22inch monitor so im hoping those parts I listed above will be able to run the monitor with no problems. Ive heard nothing but good reviews with the Acer AL2216Wbd which is 200$ but im able to purchase a Hannspree for $200 from a friend. Which one would be the best choice?

Total: $568.92

I dont have a preference for any particular brands. Im looking at the best money/performance parts. Also, since i wont be saving any wires and whatnot from this computer will i need to buy the Retail instead of OEM?

Heres my wishlist:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8211211&WishListTitle=hmmm

What about the HDD? Also, does the $500 - $600 budget include the O/S or you have your own O/S? Since you are buying an aftermarket heatsink, I assume you don't mind or will o/c? If this is so, than get an Intel Core 2 Duo cpu instead.

Yeah, Im sticking with my current OS, windows XP. Im keeping the HDD that I have from this computer to save some money.

The reason I got the heatsink is that I could have the option of overclocking if I ever felt like learning how to. I know that intels are better for overclocking but they also cost a lot more. Is it worth the price?

Does anyone have any other opinions on the setup? Im still uncertain about the motherboard.

I know that intels are better for overclocking but they also cost a lot more. Is it worth the price?

They don't cost that much more more actually:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 CPU - $70
Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L Intel P43 Motherboard - $90
---
Total: $160 plus tax and shipping.

A difference of $17 between the above Intel and your AMD setup. At stock speeds, the X2 5200+ will outperform the E2180. However overclock the E2180 to 3Ghz and it will absolutely beat the X2 5200+ hands down.

Other than that, your setup looks fine to me.

Back