New Computer Build $4,000 Budget. Feedback PLEASE!

Artluo100

Limp Gawd
Right before everybody went on winter break, I sold my computer. I finally had a $4,000 to spend on my new computer (after combining the money from my old computer and some money that I saved up). Anyway I'm deciding to buy everything off of newegg.

Here is my list:

Coolermaster Stacker - $158.00

(2) COOLER MASTER AFP-U02-E1 Black Alloy Front Bezel - $19.98

SILVERSTONE ZEUS SST-ST65ZF ATX12V 650W - $169.99

Thermaltake A2017 90mm Fan - $12.99

THERMALRIGHT XP-90 - $51.99

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR - $199.00

AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 1GHz FSB Socket 939 - $459.00

BFG Tech Geforce 7800GTX 512MB - $749.00

(5) VANTEC VORTEX Hard Disk Drive Cooler - $167.45

(5) Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM SATA II 16MB Cache - $575.00

Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 - $242.50

Saitek PZ30AU Black USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - $46.95

Logitech G5 Laser 931376-0403 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Laser Mouse - $53.65

(2) NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model ND-3550A - $79.76

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 8 (7.1) - $116.99

Creative GigaWorks S750 700 Watts 7.1 Speaker - $429.99

Total = $3,532.74

After tax and shipping and everything, I'll use the remainder for my watercooling setup and a professional paintjob for the stacker, dvd bezel, and the hardrive coolers. I'm still thinking of a color theme. I might paint the g5 and the saitek keyboard, not sure though. Anyway what do you guys think of the setup? Is there anything I should change? I don't need a monitor since I bought a Dell 2405 with my old one.

Also I need a Raid hard disk controller. I'm not sure which one to buy. I want to run 4 of the 5 drives that I'm buying on Raid 5. The other one is for my OS.

I went on google and found this:
http://www.shopaddonics.com/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={BDF67D03-41B6-4050-A02F-2D0508EA6EVEREST7F8}&ic=ADS3GX4R5
It is a 4 port Raid 5 card (exactly what I needed). It's not a bad price but I've never heard of the company before.

If you can please give me some feedback on this system build.

Thanks.
:)

Wasting money on hard drive coolers. If you're really worried, get some of those 4-in-3 things for the Stacker. Also, $4k is really too much. I would definitely get watercooling with a budget like that. And also get SLI 7800GTX's.

Coolermaster Stacker - $158.00 - Good.

(2) COOLER MASTER AFP-U02-E1 Black Alloy Front Bezel - $19.98 - Eh?

SILVERSTONE ZEUS SST-ST65ZF ATX12V 650W - $169.99 - Not sure if this is the SS with the crossloading issues, I'd go PC Piower and Cooling at this price, anyway.

Thermaltake A2017 90mm Fan - $12.99 - Panaflo ftw.

THERMALRIGHT XP-90 - $51.99 - Big Typhoon/Ninja/CNPS 9500 FTW

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR - $199.00 - No Expert?

AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 1GHz FSB Socket 939 - $459.00 - Works.

BFG Tech Geforce 7800GTX 512MB - $749.00 - Works. No SLI?

(5) VANTEC VORTEX Hard Disk Drive Cooler - $167.45 - The hell is this for?

(5) Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM SATA II 16MB Cache - $575.00 - And you'll actually fill this up?

Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 - $242.50 - I think I'd go for the G.Skill PC5000.

Saitek PZ30AU Black USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - $46.95 - Good.

Logitech G5 Laser 931376-0403 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Laser Mouse - $53.65 - Good.

(2) NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model ND-3550A - $79.76 - Two?

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 8 (7.1) - $116.99 - Good.

Creative GigaWorks S750 700 Watts 7.1 Speaker - $429.99 - Holy...

if you have 4,000 to spend why dont you just get a top of the line processor like the x2 4800+ and skip out on all those HD coolers. Id also go with the SLI 256mb GTX's instead of the 512 mb one

Well yeah, considering my movies/music/games collection is about half a terabyte ( I backed it all up on one of my brother's server since he owns a datacenter ), the storage should be sufficient. Yeah I like having 2 optical drives, it's just all my computers have 2 optical drives this one shouldn't hurt and beside I like them to match. Well if I have any money left over I may go SLI. The hardrive coolers I think I may take off since they are pretty useless ( I thought they looked cool ). The G.Skill ram I will def. research about. I recently bought a Sony 7.1 speaker set for my home theater and they are amazing. Now I have a chance to buy a 7.1 speaker set for my new desktop build. I love it. Anyway the $4K I saved up little by little, and the money I received from my old system is about 1/2 of it.

Keep the feedbacks coming. :D

umm the 512mb gtx scares me, i would think go 256 in SLI.

and 250gb for your OS??? you said you had a half tb for your entertainment, but geez, you are getting more than double that. seems like you should go with 3 250gb drives, and partition your OS in one.

i also dont know much about the opterons, but those X2's look better to me every day.

(even though your budget is extremely high, for your mental sake, dont go throwing your money away on extra stuff. get what you need now right now, and try not to get the BEST in every category, back off a little for some upgrades in, say, 6 months.)

no, stick w/ the opteron, but you can get a far lower price and support a [H]ard member at the same time:

Mod Edit - Link removed per Admin request - BlindedByScience

id say grab a WD Raptor, if you can, for a boot and/or game drive.

also lookin into aftermarket cooling for the graphics cards. the thermalright v-1 ultra looks nice if itll fit.

you need to do a LOT more research before buying
I'm not even sure where to begin

and don't get everything from newegg, shop around a bit, you're paying $60 too much for that 170

Thanks, yeah I chose the Opteron instead of the X2, I've read about it. The Opteron is the true winner.

I'd get the Fatality version of the X-Fi with the RAM built in...either that or the Platinum version since it has a front panel breakout box.

ok, i guess i'll make a run at this...

Coolermaster Stacker - $158.00 - not bad, if you like the way it looks. i would go with a lili, but that's purely preference

(2) COOLER MASTER AFP-U02-E1 Black Alloy Front Bezel - $19.98 - is this like the drive bezels for lian-li cases? if so, why don't you just stealth your drives behind the stock bay covers?

SILVERSTONE ZEUS SST-ST65ZF ATX12V 650W - $169.99 - good

Thermaltake A2017 90mm Fan - $12.99 - go panaflo high-flow

THERMALRIGHT XP-90 - $51.99 - i would go XP-90c, cause it's all-copper

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR - $199.00 - not an expert?

AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 1GHz FSB Socket 939 - $459.00 - nice.

BFG Tech Geforce 7800GTX 512MB - $749.00 - get 2 if you can. you have the money

(5) VANTEC VORTEX Hard Disk Drive Cooler - $167.45 - eh? waste of money

(5) Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM SATA II 16MB Cache - $575.00 - way too much space and hassle, just stick with a single 300gb or maybe 2 if you're dying for a ton of space. noone in their right mind should be able to fill 600gb of storage.

Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 - $242.50 - why not go for ddr500 ram? not planning on overclocking? if so, might as well roll the stock opty cooler or whatever

Saitek PZ30AU Black USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - $46.95 - i would go g15, but again, preference

Logitech G5 Laser 931376-0403 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Laser Mouse - $53.65 - overhyped, IMO, i think the mx515 that i have now works better than the G5's i've played with

(2) NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model ND-3550A - $79.76 - you need dual burners? for what?

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 8 (7.1) - $116.99 - good, although if you have 4000 dollars to spend you might as well buy the fatal1ty or expert one.

Creative GigaWorks S750 700 Watts 7.1 Speaker - $429.99 - good, although some may prefer the klipsch set in that range.

hope i could be of some help :)

srry if this is thread crapping but why not just build 2 2k rigs? 4 grand is kinda a ridiculous amount to spend. Anyways if you are going to spend 4 grand on a computer why not go with liquid nitrogen, cascade or some other sweet form of cooling. I would also go with 4 gig of ram and 2 nice lcds. SLI seems like a waste to me simply because it only gives you approximatley 40% increase. One 7800 gtx 512 mb can run anything flawlessly. Also if you want a terabyte of storage then why not go with 2 500 gig hard drives instead? If you can fill that much space then you must have alot of crap on your drives.......

r_a_s88 said:

(5) Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM SATA II 16MB Cache - $575.00 - way too much space and hassle, just stick with a single 300gb or maybe 2 if you're dying for a ton of space. noone in their right mind should be able to fill 600gb of storage.

I completely disagree. If you start backing-up your DVD's to a drive or array, it's REALLY easy to fill up drives. For instance, I've got 1.2TB of space (mixed) and it's 80% full.

Why do this? DVD's get scratched (buy once- play many times concept). Also, mount the image over a network, and never again load a DVD into a drive- Not to mention instantaneous seek etc. response.

I'd say load up on drive space- it's cheap and in my opinion/instance, being able to access lots of data quickly is more important than processing power at home. I run big models at work on a powerful machine; home is for entertainment (for me).

No, no, no! Don't spend your entire $4,000 on the system. Spend half of it, save the other half for future upgrades. It''ll make your computer investment last a lot longer. If you like the latest and greatest and blow it all now, your $4,000 system will last you a good year or so. If you half it up and save for upgrades, your $4,000 system (after upgrades over time) will end up lasting you twice or three times as long.

I just want you to know that I am helping you as best as I can. If I swear or say some hateful things, it's only because i hate the choice you've made and would like to kill you for making them :D. lol. So without ado, lets get down to buisness!

Coolermaster Stacker - $158.00- I <3 U

(2) COOLER MASTER AFP-U02-E1 Black Alloy Front Bezel - $19.98-- KK, I kinda think its cool

SILVERSTONE ZEUS SST-ST65ZF ATX12V 650W - $169.99-- NOOOO! PC Power and cooling is here for a reason. It is to make life easier for the wealthy and you my friend are indeed very wealthy. I would recommend PC Power and cooling 1KW PSU. Lets just say it's the PSU GOD and leave it at that.

Thermaltake A2017 90mm Fan - $12.99-- uhh, That wont even fit in ur case. UR CASE ALLOWS 3 120mm FANS and 1 80 mm Fan

THERMALRIGHT XP-90 - $51.99-- XP-90c, COPPER IS BETTER FOR PICKIN UP HEAT!

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR - $199.00-- MMMM....Tasty power :p

AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 1GHz FSB Socket 939 - $459.00-- WTF IS THE MATTER WITH U!?!?! U Get 4000 stackmanchoes and u blow it on this. lol. There is a new thing these days called dual core. I would DEFINATELY DEFINATELY RECCOMMEND an X24400 overclocked to 4800. Belive me about the 4400 being overclocked and easily 2. Don't let someone steer you wrong about that info.

BFG Tech Geforce 7800GTX 512MB - $749.00-- For the love of god, get 2. If not then test drive 1 and if that doesn't seem like enuf power then get 2. I kinda do understand what you're trying to do tho. But still c if 1 is enuf and then make a decision.

(5) VANTEC VORTEX Hard Disk Drive Cooler - $167.45- Nice way of throwing some doe in the trash.

(5) Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM SATA II 16MB Cache - $575.00-- Nice way of saving sum doe.

Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 - $242.50-- OH, OMFG, OH, KILL ME NOW, OH GOD!!! I am your human friend, and your memory friends are OCZ, Corsair, and a few more are your friends. I recommend these tho. Oh, Corsair told me to tell you he wants his 1t changed to a 2t. He said something about the overclocking not going too well so just letting you know ;)

Saitek PZ30AU Black USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - $46.95-- LOGITECH G15 KEYBOARD, It has all the saitek stuff, and lcd, 18 custom keys, and the backlit keys which i think ur looking 4.

Logitech G5 Laser 931376-0403 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Laser Mouse - $53.65--- YOUR CHOICE, G7, G5, Or The diamond back laser 2000dpi

(2) NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model ND-3550A - $79.76- I would say go with plextor if your going in that area of cash

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 8 (7.1) - $116.99- Platinum PRO PLZ PLZ PLZ, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR SPEAKERS!!

Creative GigaWorks S750 700 Watts 7.1 Speaker - $429.99-- I AM BASICALLY ON MY KNEES RIGHT NOW KISSING THE BASE OF THE WELL.... UMMM... SUB... I think.. Umm... yeah...

GOOD LUCK, ANY ?s, DONT BE SCURRED YA KNOW. This is how we do it up hur in the [H]. Ya betta know, pishh. :D

alik4041 said:
AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 1GHz FSB Socket 939 - $459.00-- WTF IS THE MATTER WITH U!?!?! U Get 4000 stackmanchoes and u blow it on this. lol. There is a new thing these days called dual core. I would DEFINATELY DEFINATELY RECCOMMEND an X24400 overclocked to 4800. Belive me about the 4400 being overclocked and easily 2. Don't let someone steer you wrong about that info.

Just to let you know this is "DUAL CORE" and they are very popular due to their overclocking ability. They are meant for servers and workstations and therefore are generally tested to more abuse but work just fine for the average consumer :p . I myself plan on getting an opteron 170 but for way cheaper that $459. OMG that is a rip. Get your Opteron 170 here.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120341

jen4950 said:
I completely disagree. If you start backing-up your DVD's to a drive or array, it's REALLY easy to fill up drives. For instance, I've got 1.2TB of space (mixed) and it's 80% full.

Why do this? DVD's get scratched (buy once- play many times concept). Also, mount the image over a network, and never again load a DVD into a drive- Not to mention instantaneous seek etc. response.

I'd say load up on drive space- it's cheap and in my opinion/instance, being able to access lots of data quickly is more important than processing power at home. I run big models at work on a powerful machine; home is for entertainment (for me).

I agree completely. Plus, P2P programs tend to fill up HDs very quickly.

Hell, my pr0n folder alone is over 200 gigs.

I think RAID5 would work great here, and your budget allows it.

As for the drive coolers... why not use removable drive trays/coolers? There's some nice looking ones out there and you'd have hot swappable capability through your RAID5 since SATA supports this. I'm not sure that you'd actually use it unless you kept an extra drive on hand, but at least it would justify the cost of buying the trays...

I really think you should just get 2 256MB 7800GTXs. You'd get more benefit from them in SLI and it wouldn't be much more than the price of 1 512MB model. The 512MB model seems to be mainly a gimmick anyway and doesn't provide any real benefit to justify the high cost.

That's a pretty high price for the Opteron 170....

You're wasting a lot of money on BS (HDD Cooler, 2nd DVD-R, Bezel for DVD-R).

I agree on DDR500. G.Skill is the same price, and usually hit 245.

If you're not OCing, go Asus, otherwise go DFI expert (Raid5 is on the board, so no need for a controller).

I'd stick with 5x WD 250 sata2.

Speakers - MAudio LX4A 5.1

XFi Fatality

2x BFG 512.

Also, if you REALLY want an HDD cooler check out the I-Star cooler that holds 5 drives vertically (only takes up 3x 5.25 bays).

Nirad9er said:
Just to let you know this is "DUAL CORE" and they are very popular due to their overclocking ability. They are meant for servers and workstations and therefore are generally tested to more abuse but work just fine for the average consumer :p . I myself plan on getting an opteron 170 but for way cheaper that $459. OMG that is a rip. Get your Opteron 170 here.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120341
Hmm... I knew that they were dual core but i didnt know that they were really good at overclocking. Thanks for the info, u learn sumthin new everyday :p But why not get a X2 4400 as for it is the exact same but is 2.2 ghz instead of 2.0 and to buy 2X 170 core is around $700.

**** I read what you said and I understood it as the opteron only having one core but you can add another core by adding another chip. Unless you mean that the chip is already dualcore and that if you add another opteron it will be quad core, then I understand completely. Infact if this is the case, it will be like an X2 4000 because it will be only 2ghz but will have 1mb cache per core which is what I have been dreaming of. But I am pretty much a gamer so plz help here as for I obviously am a little confused. :p

EDIT--
KK, I went on amd's website and went on refrence guide. It feels like I have been in a basement for sometime now and never even seen these opteron dual cores. They're pretty cool for wat they can do. But again is this capable of becoming and X2 4800. In other words just overclocking it to 2.4 ghz or higer, would it perform as good in games as and X2 4800 or is it built so perfect for servers and workstations, that it would take a loss in performance in this area?

itll outperform and outOC the x2. the opteron is cheaper but continues to walk up and down the X2's ass...

you definately have been in the basement for a llllloooonnnnngggggg time :p

ok
you want goodness

chilly 1 phase change cooler - 700
2x512 of pc 600
clawhammer fx 55- 900
2x500 gb seagates, 600
7800gtx 500

Ratboy said:
You're wasting a lot of money on BS (HDD Cooler, 2nd DVD-R, Bezel for DVD-R).

I agree on DDR500. G.Skill is the same price, and usually hit 245.

If you're not OCing, go Asus, otherwise go DFI expert (Raid5 is on the board, so no need for a controller).

I'd stick with 5x WD 250 sata2.

Speakers - MAudio LX4A 5.1

XFi Fatality

2x BFG 512.

Dual DVD-RWs isn't BS. First off, for copying CDs it is a pita to not have two drives, takes twice as long to do it. A regular CD-ROM or DVD-ROM will run you $20 minimum, and since the 2nd DVD-RW is only $40, the price to add it, and gain the ability to burn two discs at once from the HD makes it worthwhile.

NulloModo said:
Dual DVD-RWs isn't BS. First off, for copying CDs it is a pita to not have two drives, takes twice as long to do it. A regular CD-ROM or DVD-ROM will run you $20 minimum, and since the 2nd DVD-RW is only $40, the price to add it, and gain the ability to burn two discs at once from the HD makes it worthwhile.

Yeah I know copying cd's is a bummer when you have only 1 dvd-rw. It sucks but the 2nd cd isn't really burning a hole in my pocket. I'm going to look over all the info I received today and maybe look into a whole new system.

Thanks.

I have a question... what monitor are you using this on? the 2005FPW is slick as all hell and the Dell 30" is coming out soon :D

peace

tvdang7 said:
over 2000 is way too much on a PC...........
I agree, over 2000 just becomes rediculous, especially without a monitor. Different strokes for different folks, I guess, 'cause he obviously doesn't have a problem dropping so much on a computer that will probably be upgraded after a year or two anyway.

But back to the point, why not set up some kind of storage server for all your media, and then just put 1 or 2 hard drives into your main computer. This would be cool 'cause then you could access all your files from everywhere in your house easier without wasting the resources of your main computer.

come on now..............spending this much how can it not have 4 gigs of ram? :p

Sp4nk said:
No, no, no! Don't spend your entire $4,000 on the system. Spend half of it, save the other half for future upgrades. It''ll make your computer investment last a lot longer. If you like the latest and greatest and blow it all now, your $4,000 system will last you a good year or so. If you half it up and save for upgrades, your $4,000 system (after upgrades over time) will end up lasting you twice or three times as long.

exactly, he knows what he is talking about. In a year or so when other good stuff comes out you will be mad that you spent your whole budget.

XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM said:
exactly, he knows what he is talking about. In a year or so when other good stuff comes out you will be mad that you spent your whole budget.

I would normally agree, but the only stupidly expensive part of his system is the graphics card, the rest have actual real world uses, and I am tired of arguing with PC gamers who haven't seen the light that consoles are a lot better price/performance wise.

As said before, you may want to split this up into a storage server (which doesn't require much) PLUS a gaming system.

Having spent MORE than you on my tower, there are many times when I wish I'd gone with a storage server + a gaming system.

As it is, I'd hold off on going high end until the M2s come out. I'm running dual Opteron 254s w/ 4gb of RAM...but I have no regrets as I don't plan on making any upgrades to it. In fact, I plan on stripping parts of it out (the 7800GTX, X-Fi, etc.) in favor of more hdds as this transitions into a back-end file server & more.

As far as the chassis goes...I disagree with the Stacker. Yes, it's a good case. But...if you're looking at spending that much...why not go where there's room for expansion? Lian Li V2000 series will allow a default setup of 7 5.25 + 12 3.5 drives. Properly configured as a file server, you could push it to 1 5.25 + 20 3.5 drives.

PC Power & Cooling is the way to go here. Beware space issues if you contemplate the 850 or 1000W....but those should not be needed for your setup at this time.

Skip the hdd coolers. They're wasted money.

RAM...I'd accept nothing less than Corsair Value. I've had no experience with Patriot...but I'd look more towards the high-end names.

As far as the rest of it goes....I prefer the G15, but only because it offers 2 USB ports + media controls over the Saitek. The LCD is a definite plus for me, as I like seeing what track is playing in Winamp while I'm playing my games.

RAID: I would say LSI MegaRAID SATA150-4. I've had good luck with it in my system; I'm planning on eventually adding an 8 channel one whenever I convert this system from primary system to backend system.

Don't go looking for one of these unless you have a damned good reason to and know you're going to be using everything in it. If I could do it over right now, I'd probably go w/ a file server (P3 based cheapie I can stuff in a closet) + respectable tower (Shuttle, most likely):
1KWinsystem.jpg

As it is, I plan on the above being my last hurrah w/ towers(and as a single man). I plan on migrating myself into laptops as my primary systems, as I am currently using my T43 as my non-gaming system, and the above tower for my VMWare, gaming & multimedia

NulloModo said:
I would normally agree, but the only stupidly expensive part of his system is the graphics card, the rest have actual real world uses, and I am tired of arguing with PC gamers who haven't seen the light that consoles are a lot better price/performance wise.

Yeah, but if you look at the configuration and some of the hardware choices, it doesn't look like its a system being built to absofuckinglutely rock the shit so much as one just built to merely eat every penny available in the budget (ie: useless hard drive coolers for a bunch of hard drives that'll probably never be filled).

Sp4nk said:
Yeah, but if you look at the configuration and some of the hardware choices, it doesn't look like its a system being built to absofuckinglutely rock the shit so much as one just built to merely eat every penny available in the budget (ie: useless hard drive coolers for a bunch of hard drives that'll probably never be filled).

Eh, doesn't look like a waste of money system other than the graphics card. The rest (well, other than the HD coolers, but I don't know much about them, so I can't comment) has real world uses. Filling up 1TB+ of HD space isn't that hard at all... You could give me a 10TB RAID5 setup and I could fill it up in a couple months without trying too hard. Some of us are just digital packrats, after all, I never know when I will need that source code for the failed freenet project again...

NulloModo said:
Eh, doesn't look like a waste of money system other than the graphics card. The rest (well, other than the HD coolers, but I don't know much about them, so I can't comment) has real world uses. Filling up 1TB+ of HD space isn't that hard at all... You could give me a 10TB RAID5 setup and I could fill it up in a couple months without trying too hard. Some of us are just digital packrats, after all, I never know when I will need that source code for the failed freenet project again...

Well yeah, same here. I know that the hardrive coolers are a waste so I've taken them out. I've put in a LianLi instead of a Coolermaster. The video card is really debatable, some people will argue that it is worth the money and some people will tell you it is a waste of money. To me, a person that likes to game, it's not that much a waste of money.

Back