New cheap PC build advice

Leo123

n00b
1)What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? Etc
Basic video editing/Transcoding, photo editing, web browsing, music production (CUBASE)
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
£350 – about $570 at the moment, including tax and shipping
3) Where do you live?
UK
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
RAM, Mobo, CPU, PSU, Case, Primary Hard Drive
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB – Secondary Hard Drive
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Samdung 22” Widescreen Pebble
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Next couple of weeks
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
Micro-Atx, USB 3.0, 3 PCI-E slots (any speed)
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Have 32-bit XP licences, but will probably upgrade to W7 64-bit in future.

I am looking to build a cheap desktop that I can use as a desktop for the next 18 months or so and then put the motherboard, CPU, RAM and PSU in my current server.

I therefore need something that is going to be pretty low power.

I have so far come up with the following spec:

* Xigmatek Midgard White Knight Case
* i3-2100
* MSI H67MA-E35-B3
* Antec 400w High Current Gamer
* Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
* Extra Value 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory Kit 1.5V CL9

I have three points in particular on which I could do with your guys views:

1. Is Sandy Bridge, generally, the best way to go – would something using Llano perhaps be more sensible?
2. How are you liking the suggested PSU? – it will have more than enough power and has got some good review in terms of quality, efficiency and noise. However, the Corsair Builder Series CX 430W V2 is also getting some good reviews – which would you guys go for?
3. Is the i3-2100 a good idea or should I perhaps go for the i3-2100T insread? The thing I can’t get my head round is that the 2100T might be more power efficient, but if it takes longer to do individual tasks over the regular 2100 won’t things balance out overall?
Also, am I able (with that particular motherboard) to under volt the i3-2100 to that of the i3-2100T power levels anyway?

Your views would be very much appreciated before I buy any thing.

Many thanks

If you do go with Sandy Bridge, there's no need to pay extra for the i3 2100T. That and the i3 2100 are pretty much the same processor...the marketed difference is in the artificial cap placed on the 2100T. However, when idle, they consume the same amount of power. The problem is, if you DO need the extra processing power, the i3 2100T won't be able to get you there. The i3 2100 will.

The only REAL difference is the 2100T also has a lower-profile heatsink/fan for smaller cases. Unless you need that, save the $30.

1) Llano really isn't worth it unless you have a high need for onboard GPU performance
2) I'd stick with the Antec
3) Stick with Core i3 2100

Thank you both for that - much appreciated.

Are there any other changes/suggestions you might make to my proposed build before I buy the parts?

Just one last bit of advice before I start buying bits -

Is it advisable to buy the cheap RAM that I have gone for? It has got some good reviews on the site I am going to buy from. Is there really going to be any difference for me, someone that its going to be doing no overclocking?

http://www.ebuyer.com/192049-extra-...333mhz-memory-kit-1-5v-cl9-evr4gbddriii1333-k

Would you advise perhaps going for something a little more expensive, from a known brand, for example?

http://www.ebuyer.com/178943-corsai...hz-memory-kit-unbuffered-cl9-cmv4gx3m2a1333c9

Thanks again.

Back