• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Canon Digital Camera's

Sean

[H] for Life
Joined
Nov 16, 2000
Messages
5,283
Hey for anyone thats intrested, or doesn't already know Canon released yesterday its new product line up, for its powershot digital cameras.

www.powershot.com

Cheers,
 
Thanks for the heads up. None of their new products really stand out so I'm still really happy with my purchase of the Canon S50 about a month ago. :)
 
^^ yeah there really isnt anything ground breaking there...just a little bit better stuff from the old line...
 
Well now they have cameras with good optical zooms at least. None of their other compact digicams had big zooms before.
 
Originally posted by Tuvok
Thanks for the heads up. None of their new products really stand out so I'm still really happy with my purchase of the Canon S50 about a month ago. :)

you've got to be kidding.... look at the S1 IS, 10x stabilized optical zoom!! i so want that camera
 
Originally posted by fugu
you've got to be kidding.... look at the S1 IS, 10x stabilized optical zoom!! i so want that camera

Yeah, but the bad thing about it is that it's only 3.2megapix. :(
They should've put the IS (image stabilizer) in the Pro1, then that'll be something.
 
Originally posted by Tuvok
Yeah, but the bad thing about it is that it's only 3.2megapix. :(
They should've put the IS (image stabilizer) in the Pro1, then that'll be something.

for most people i don't see that being a huge issue. you can make good 5x7 prints with a 3 megapixel camera, and adding more megapixels without enlarging the actual sensor will just give you more noise in the image. a higher megapixel rating will sell cameras, but it's not always better.

if you look at it this way, the s1 is competing with the olympus 750 and all the other ~500 dollar compact ultrazooms. the Pro1 is going up against cameras like the nikkon 5700 and the sony f828
 
If you want something better you can always go with minolta A1 it has image stabilizer :)
 
The S500 and the Pro1 are the only two new digital compacts that I would even bother to get my self. The A60 to A80 series are really nice camera's but I would find they are a little too simplistic for my shooting. The S500 is because its so portable. The Pro1, is because I would like a digital camera, but an DSLR is too expensive right now.

Other then that the other camera look pretty fine as additions to canon's line up.

Cheers,
 
im probably gona buy the s500 within the next 2 months...i havent seen any prices for it yet though...
 
Glad to see someone who knows what he's talking about. ^_^ The consumer to prosumer level sensor are all MUCH smaller than those found in digital SLRs. So in most cases, a 5mp picture from those cameras doesn't contain that much more information than a resampled 3mp picture. But hey, number sells, 8mp for $800? WOW I gotta get me one of those... :)

I currently own and use a Canon G2, no complains at all. Good quality, lots of functions. Only issue is I dislike it's size... When I go out w/ friends and people I often just left my camera home cuz it's just too much hassle carrying it around. Checked out an S400, really liked it -- thinking of getting rid of the G2 and buy the S400. hehe (Not too into the newer models as they don't offer anything new for me).

So anybody interested in an extremely well taken care of Canon G2(used very sparingly, 1.5yrs old)? hehe Let me know. ^_^

cheers,

Yass

Originally posted by fugu
for most people i don't see that being a huge issue. you can make good 5x7 prints with a 3 megapixel camera, and adding more megapixels without enlarging the actual sensor will just give you more noise in the image. a higher megapixel rating will sell cameras, but it's not always better.

if you look at it this way, the s1 is competing with the olympus 750 and all the other ~500 dollar compact ultrazooms. the Pro1 is going up against cameras like the nikkon 5700 and the sony f828
 
Originally posted by Eigtball
The S500 and the Pro1 are the only two new digital compacts that I would even bother to get my self. The A60 to A80 series are really nice camera's but I would find they are a little too simplistic for my shooting. The S500 is because its so portable. The Pro1, is because I would like a digital camera, but an DSLR is too expensive right now.

U know that the Canon digital rebel is like $999 with lens? The Pro1 is priced at $999...

And the digital rebel shares the same CMOS back as the 60D I believe. The only thing good about the Pro1 is obviously the L-series lens. But still I would prefer the power and flexibility of an SLR over that of a high-end prosumer model... especially now the prices are so close... (the Pro1 probably will be discounted more than the rebel)

cheers,

Yass
 
Originally posted by Steve_010
im probably gona buy the s500 within the next 2 months...i havent seen any prices for it yet though...


S400 is the better deal.

Same sized sensor and a cheaper price :).
 
Originally posted by Yassarian
U know that the Canon digital rebel is like $999 with lens? The Pro1 is priced at $999...

And the digital rebel shares the same CMOS back as the 60D I believe. The only thing good about the Pro1 is obviously the L-series lens. But still I would prefer the power and flexibility of an SLR over that of a high-end prosumer model... especially now the prices are so close... (the Pro1 probably will be discounted more than the rebel)

cheers,

Yass

A digital Rebel isn't the quality of camera I am looking for. If I were to buy a DSLR it would be at least a 10D. The Rebel is too consumer for my taste. I like a camera is be sturdy, and plastic (Rebel) DSLR isn't what I want. When I go to a DSLR I will get a 1D Mark II, or similar at the time.

The Pro1 is good enough for my digital use, but I don't think I will get it. Its just like I said, I would only consider those two as viable options.

Cheers,
 
Back
Top