New Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddude

2[H]4U
I've been out of the game a loooong time. I used to know everything computer related and then life got in the way. Now I don't even know what the most current DX version is. It's time for a new system, so what better place to turn to than [H]!

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Some gaming. Looking forward to Just Cause 3. It'd be nice to have a system that can play GTA 5.

I have 3 monitors for general computing, school and work. I don't game across all 3 and I don't plan on it. I do want to be able to drive all 3 from the same GPU if possible.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Max is $1000. $750 would be nice

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA, Columbus OH. There is a Microcenter 20 minutes away.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU & cooler, MB, ram, GPU, power supply

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I will reuse my case and SSD. The power supply is an original Corsair HX620. It's going on 8 years old.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Maybe, depends on what cooling system I have. Anything will be an upgrade from what I have now and I may not need to

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x1200, 24in

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within a month

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI
support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Nothing special. Most any motherboard is going to have what I need. I do not plan on using multiple graphics cards. Everything out there seems to have USB3 and SATA6

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I have a Windows 7 & 8 key. I'll probably stick with 7 for now, see what 10 is like when it comes out.

Honestly, unless your current system is dead, I recommend that you wait until August before buying a whole new PC. August is the supposed release date of Intel's Skylake platform, the first Intel mainstream platform to use DDR4 RAM. Considering that you're more or less starting from scratch, you might as well get the latest RAM and CPU available.

Also, what case and SSD are you using?

Honestly, unless your current system is dead, I recommend that you wait until August before buying a whole new PC. August is the supposed release date of Intel's Skylake platform, the first Intel mainstream platform to use DDR4 RAM. Considering that you're more or less starting from scratch, you might as well get the latest RAM and CPU available.

Also, what case and SSD are you using?

Waiting until August is not a problem. I know nothing of what is out there now and what is on the horizon, so I appreciate the insight. Something new is always around the corner, but major changes are worth the wait.

The case is the huge COOLER MASTER CM Stacker STC-T01-UWK, and the SSD is a Crucial MX100 256GB. I have 1TB WD Black drives as storage. I'll probably just replace them with one large 2-4TB drive. Nothing fancy there, just storage.

Don't bother, it's going to be very expensive and Intel doesn't really put out the value CPUs etc first.
Not to mention RAM and motherboards are going to be more expensive too.
//Danne

Don't bother, it's going to be very expensive and Intel doesn't really put out the value CPUs etc first.
Not to mention RAM and motherboards are going to be more expensive too.
//Danne
Not for the OP. He lives near a Microcenter. That store always have the newest CPU releases at significantly lower prices with no real initial markup but only if you buy the CPU in-store. In addition Microcenter tends to offer $30 to $50 off any compatible motherboards if you buy both the motherboard and certain CPUs at the same time. As for RAM, DDR4 RAM pricing have been steadily going down to the point that it's not as much of a huge premium over DDR3 RAM.

So for the OP at least, it won't be the expensive. See this Microcenter catalog to see what I mean:
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/01351922#/01351922/33

Right now, MC is charging $200 for 4690K CPU and will knock off $30 off any LGA 1150 motherboard if you buy that motherboard and the 4690K CPU at the same time. So bare minimum, he's looking at $50 to $70 in savings (depending on taxes) which should cover any potential RAM pricing spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back