New build

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
I will be doing gaming, want to be able to play ARMA 3
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
my budget is $500.00 shipping and tax included!
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

I live in the US. "Corvallis, Oregon" to be exact. zip code 97330
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, MOTHERBOARD, CASE, GRAPHICS CARD
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I will be reusing power supply. cooler master rp-600-pcar
6) Will you be overclocking?
NO
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
24' 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
03/21/2014
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
windows 7 64 bit

I just want overall a decent PC that can play games up to par with ARMA 3, and it does not need to run ARMA 3 at full potential, but run it well. I do want a decent CPU for I will be doing a lot of multitasking as well. Mainly VOIP connections and SSH to my external servers in dallas texas.

Please don't SHOUT in titles or include extraneous crap.

BUILDING NEW PC- NEED HELP!

Gonna be honest: I think you're going to have to up your budget by at least another $100. Arma 3 is rather intensive and combined with your relatively high resolution means that $500 PC isn't going to cut it well.

For $500, you're probably looking at an fx8320, ~$75 mobo, 2x4GB of ram, and a decent case on sale for $30-40. That'll leave you around $200 for a GPU, in which case, a used 670 or 760 would be your best bet.

Edit: as dangman mentioned, increasing your budget would help a lot. $100 more would put you in range of a 770, which would make arma 3 a much more enjoyable experience.

For $500, you're probably looking at an fx8320, ~$75 mobo, 2x4GB of ram, and a decent case on sale for $30-40. That'll leave you around $200 for a GPU, in which case, a used 670 or 760 would be your best bet.

Edit: as dangman mentioned, increasing your budget would help a lot. $100 more would put you in range of a 770, which would make arma 3 a much more enjoyable experience.
when you say 770, what do you mean exactly? like whats an example of that? sorry about my lameness

That setup won't really work out for him: Note his PSU. It's a craptacular Coolermaster Extreme Power 600W PSU that's actually rated for 450W under the best of conditions. Even if it was brand new from the box, let alone being used for a couple of years, I still wouldn't recommend using that PSU any sort of gaming PC build. In other words, it's going to need to be replaced. Hence why I was suggesting a $100 budget increase.

Good point. I think newegg has the corsair cx600 on sale for $38 right now with a rebate. Very solid deal if you follow Dang's advice, OP.

I think people are a little hard on Cooler Master. Yes, they are not a top of the line brand, but they do work. My last PSU was a Cooler Master and it lasted almost 6 years through multiple SLI builds.

I think for this budget the PSU will be fine.

I think people are a little hard on Cooler Master. Yes, they are not a top of the line brand, but they do work. My last PSU was a Cooler Master and it lasted almost 6 years through multiple SLI builds.

I think for this budget the PSU will be fine.
Coolermaster can make good PSUs. But unfortunately, this one is a piece of crap considering that it can only provide 450W of power under ideal conditions. Hence why I'm not recommending reusing that particular Cooler Master PSU.

Not exactly below $500 due to rebates, but close enough. Thank you Ninjacore for the heads up

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar TA970 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card ($178.59 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $486.54

Last edited:
Back