• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Build

hyperlite

n00b
Joined
Oct 5, 2010
Messages
2
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Web surfing, streaming Netflix and using Microsoft Office
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Around $600ish including tax and shipping
3) Where do you live?
Southern California
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, CASE, HD, Video Card, DVD burner, Motherboard and power supply
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
19" Monitor
6) Will you be overclocking?
NO
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Currently have a 19", plan on upgrading to a 22" or 24" in the next few months
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next week
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Would like to get USB 3.0. Thats all that I can think of.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Currently have a 64 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium


This is a build for a co-worker and I just wanted to get some opinions if I was over building for him or not and double check all the parts work together.

Heres what I currently have picked out:

(CPU & RAM combo) $205.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.514568
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.514568

(Motherboard) $99.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128443

(Case & Power supply) $109.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024

(HD) $87.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

(DVD Burner) $16 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136168

(video card) $35.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125251
 
Drop the motherboard and GPU you chose and go with this mobo instead:
$90 - Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H AMD 880G HDMI mATX Motherboard

The onboard audio will be sufficient for your needs and saves you $50.

HDD wise, this Samsung drive is faster yet cheaper:
$75 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Besides that, looks good to me.
 
Will on board video be good for some very light gaming? I've never used onboard video so I'm not sure of its capabilities. Also will a micro ATX motherboard fit the case? I've never used a micro before.

Thanks for the advice.
 
Will on board video be good for some very light gaming? I've never used onboard video so I'm not sure of its capabilities. Also will a micro ATX motherboard fit the case? I've never used a micro before.

Thanks for the advice.

It depends on what exactly you mean by "light gaming"

And yes, a mATX mobo will fit inside a ATX case.
 
Yeah, define "light."

In the end though, with a 4350, it better pretty damn light.
 
Will on board video be good for some very light gaming? I've never used onboard video so I'm not sure of its capabilities.

The onboard video is slower than a discrete HD 4350, to be sure. But even at $35 the HD 4350 is not sufficiently faster than the mobo's onboard HD 4250 to justify spending the money on. So in other words, if the mobo that you picked has onboard video, you'll need to spend at least $100 extra in order to get a GPU that delivers a worthwhile performance increase over onboard video.

And as it turned out, while the HD 4350 is decent enough if you have a mobo that requires a discrete video card just to even work, the particular mobo/card combo that you picked costs more than the integrated mobo that Danny picked for you.
 
Back
Top