• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Build

sage

n00b
Joined
Aug 17, 2010
Messages
5
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, CAD, video editing, web browsing and for other daily chores :D

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$3500 w/o tax and shipping.

3) Where do you live?
Long Beach, CA

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU
RAM
Video Card
Monitor
PSU
Case
Motherboard
Optical Drive
CPU cooler

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Hard disk. WD 1 TB @ 7200 rpm 16MB Cache

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes. I haven't done it before though.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I am thinking about an Nvidia Surround system (2D), probably 3 X 23'

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
End of this month-first week of September though I can delay the whole thing if some substantial upgrade is around the corner.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
SLI, SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes. Windows 7 Ultimate X64 :D
 
Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking about HAF 932. Looks like a pretty good case to me. I saw a post about Phantom on engadget, looked amazing. I don't need 3D man,there aren't enough game out there supporting 3D. And what about getting gtx 480 in sli? Wouldn't that be more future proof? I won't be upgrading for another two years and need a machine which can cruise through the games coming out in next two years.
 
GTX 470 SLi would be more than enough horsepower to run 3 1080p displays.

I would suggest dell u2311h for the displays
 
@Shiro The 3D thing. And what about the new 485 card coming up?

Well what do you want to know? Did you want to use the 3D aspect or were you just fine with the Nvision aspect? Or did you want both?

From the early rumored specs, the GTX 485 will only be a tad faster than the GTX 480. However the key advantage of the GTX 485 is that it'll run cooler and quieter.
 
Is 3D worth it? I am does it add to the experience? Because if I want to build a 2D surround system, three 23" monitors would cost me in vicinity of $600 but that costs just doubles up when it comes to 3D. And about 485, well if its going to be only tad faster then I think I would be better off with 480.
 
Is 3D worth it? I am does it add to the experience? Because if I want to build a 2D surround system, three 23" monitors would cost me in vicinity of $600 but that costs just doubles up when it comes to 3D.

Yeah as lt_shiro noted, that's something you're gonna have to decide for yourself if it's worth it or not. If you have a Fry's or Microcenter nearby, they often times do have a demo station on hand showcasing Nvidia's 3D Vision. In addition, look at all the reviews of the 3D nvision as well.
 
Back
Top